Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think? >

What do you think?

What do you think?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:54 PM

I use the best fabric that I can afford for all of my work, what I keep, what I give to family and friends, and what I donate to charity. I want each of the quilts that I give to be the same quality as one that I would like to receive.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 PM

I agree, a quilt is as good as it's fabric. I use my best fabric for all of my projects. The fabric donated to Project Linus is for our use too and most of it is good quality. Even walmart donates lots of fabric. It is very cheerful, kids patterm, etc. I take pride in all my quilts and want them to be cherished a long time.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:32 PM

:roll: :lol: Bearisgrey that would just make too much sense!

I agree wholeheartedly but then again, I don't make a quilt unless someone can snuggle, cuddle, throw down for a picnic, throw in the washer/dryer, well, you get teh point.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:43 PM

One of my most favourite quilts (not that I have made that many) was for our middle son. It was in red, white and blue Anvil design with a dark blue border on which I quilted houses (his choice). It is stained (permanently) with marks made from when he was going through his teenage pimple stage and wore anti acne cream to bed. I feel it is a part of him and his growing up - he is now almost 30.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 PM

I think a quilt is meant to be used too...I think the "heirloom " quilts are special because they were made pre-rotary cutter! but now we can practically whip out a quilt top a day and if we are lucky to have a long arm, maybe even a whole quilt a day!
On the other hand...if I hand sewed, hand quilted a quilt with 85 kazillion small pieces I might be inclined to wrap it in acid free paper too!
On the other hand (I have three [hands])What if some future relative finds it and throws it over his or her oily spaceship? We'll just have to cry in heaven....unless we're in quilt room heaven , you know what I mean....
Old 06-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Some of the quilts that I like best are the "simple/uncomplicated" ones - large four and nine patches - alternated with big squares of fabric - (for example)

I met a couple (man and woman - comparative newlyweds - I think the lady was maybe mid-forties - the man was maybe mid-fifties) at the local WalMart.

They showed me over 20 quilts that they had made over the winter - most of them used "bigger" pieces and donated materials. The husband said that he trimmed the blocks to 1/64 inch accuracy before putting them together.

They did a wonderful job of putting colors and prints together - and it seemed like they had a great, fun time doing this over the winter.

(I think it's AWESOME when a couple can work together on something like that.)

This post is ONLY about the fabric - There is no way that I would donate/give a Baltimore Album quilt (even to a family member - even if I knew how to do applique work).