Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think is a traditional quilt? >

What do you think is a traditional quilt?

What do you think is a traditional quilt?

Old 09-03-2015, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
I was just thinking about this too, and I cast my vote with the others who suggest Irish Chain. I'd go for single; it's simple, beautiful, traditional and fast.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529638[/ATTACH]
Exactly my thoughts, using tea stained / slightly dull yellow fabrics. Hand pieced and hand quilted if you want truly traditional. Now throw it in a pile on the floor to let the kids sleep on and you are there!! LOL, I remember back in the olden days, sleeping on a "pallet" (not sure if that is spelled or even close to being right, just how it sounded to me as a child). Wish I could go back to those days and show them how much I appreciate them now!
Old 09-03-2015, 07:12 AM

You're going to get as many answers as there are respondents to your question so I won't muddy the waters. I would warn you not to confuse 'traditional' with 'period', however.

If I were you, I'd do a Google search of quilt show winners in the 'Traditional' categories. That should give you a good indication of what is considered traditional by entrants and judges alike.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:09 PM

Thank you everyone, your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks for the tip ghostrider, I hadn't thought of that, I have been looking at antique quilts but looking at the traditional category might give me more ideas, but it looks as though patterns like log cabin and Irish chain seem to yell traditional to most people so I might go with something like that.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:59 PM

To me traditional means older patterns and fabric, like 9 patch, dresden plate, double wedding ring, and ect. I hope it helps.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:16 PM

Traditional is in the mind of the beholder, IMHO. there are so many options. You really cannot define it as one look.
sandy
Old 09-03-2015, 05:26 PM

Traditional quilts aren't always dull and ugly. I have many made by my MIL,in the 30's and 40's. They are bright and pretty. Dresden plate, snowball, and hexes have been around a very long time. Trip around the World, Drunkards path. Log Cabin. These are Traditional. All of them, Sunbonnet Sue has been around a long time.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:46 PM

I think of unbleached muslin and calico in a traditional block like churn dash, nine-patch, Ohio star, etc.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:10 PM

I put a quilt in a competition thinking pp was traditional. Message was it was in the wrong category.
i would say traditional is more pieced blocks triangles squares etc. .
Old 09-04-2015, 12:12 AM

For me traditional quilts generally have one or more of the following: symmetry, blocks, traditional colors/prints, while more modern quilts are often asymmetrical with brights or more modern prints.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Claire123 View Post
For me traditional quilts generally have one or more of the following: symmetry, blocks, traditional colors/prints, while more modern quilts are often asymmetrical with brights or more modern prints.
Define traditional colors.

sandy