Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use for backing?

Blog Entries
    Just wondering what experienced quilters use for their backings.. I see some beautiful ones on this board.. are they wide material or pieced.. do you use flannel? I have done the flannel and pieced but never purchased the wide for large quilts... just curious... thanks in advance for your answers....

Blog Entries
    I use yardage , but I have been known to piece a backing too.

Blog Entries
    If my quilt is 40" in one direction, I will just buy enough yardage so it doesn't have to be pieced. That being said, I have only bought wide quilting backing once. For the bigger quilts, I like a pieced backing. It is just another way to get more colors and designs in the quilt!

I like the backing to have some connection to the front of the quilt so I use yardage that I piece together. It doesn't have to be fabric that was in the front, just something colorwise that works. For baby quilts I like to use polka dot fabric where some of the dots mimic the colors on the front. When I have a large quilt quilted by a longarm quilter I try to use wide backing so there are no seams in the back. I buy neutral colored wider backing on my trips to Lancaster PA where I can purchase it cheaper than locally.

I like the look of backing pieced with different fabrics and/or blocks but for gift quilts I make the backing all one fabric because non quilters don't appreciate the mixed backing like we quilters do.

I use yardage that I'm no longer enraptured with enough to make a top out of it. There always seems to be enough scraps left over that some of the yardage still makes it to the front of scrap quilts, so I've definitely got my moneys worth and nothing is wasted.

I'm not stuck on one type of backing, but I do like to at least color coordinate them with the front. I've used sheets (oh the horror :-), I've used left-overs from piecing the front, I've used wide fabric, I've used flannel and even fleece on a small kiddie quilt. I kinda make up my own rules as I go, works best for me.

If it is a large quilt and I am going to have a Long Arm pro quilt it .. I purchase a wide backing in a relatively nuetral color and pattern ... as the work of the Long Arm Pro makes the back look like a whole cloth quilt.... So its like two quilts in one .

Banned
    I buy wide backing from Marshall Dry Goods
    I also piece a back when I have fabrics I want to use up
    I've also used a lightweight cotton blanket when I'm not going to have batt in the quilt

Yes.

What I use depends on the size of the quilt, what I have on hand, the purpose of the quilt, and the look I want.

I do like piecing my backs with some extra blocks from the front and with a place for a message [not the label.]

However, some quilts just seem to need the wider backing on them.

I let my quilts 'talk to me' about how to finish them.

ali

Blog Entries
    I like the back to be in one piece. I've had a few problems when bulky seam-intersections happened to in line front & back. I FMQ so I will use 40" fabric, sheeting or 108" fabric.

I use muslin and sometimes do a block in the middle of the back if I have to piece the backing.

It depends on the quilt. The quilt I'm currently working on is a whole piece that I had to buy 110 wide. But I didnt want any seams. Normally I just use what have on hand. Ocassionally I will buy a high quality muslin or kona white for backings. I like the scrappy left over backings too, it really just depends on the quilt. I've not done the flannel, or minky.

I like to piece the back. I only do solid backs on commision quilts. When piecing backs I use really large pieces that go with what is on front. Use all the leftover pieces I can from the front. Just a little something extra. I have never had any problems quilting on my HQ.

I think the back is just as important as the front, so if I wouldn't use it on the front, I don't use it on the back (sheets, muslin, über thin wide backing fabric, etc.). I like to have the back relate to the front as well.

This one is a mirror image of the border design from the front that was put into a strip down the center, wide enough to span the necessary distance between the WOF sections on either side of it.

Blog Entries
    You say sheeting ... are you using regular bed sheets.. if so what thread count works best?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassquilt
    I like the back to be in one piece. I've had a few problems when bulky seam-intersections happened to in line front & back. I FMQ so I will use 40" fabric, sheeting or 108" fabric.

Blog Entries
    I like this ... putting a pattern in the middle
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I think the back is just as important as the front, so if I wouldn't use it on the front, I don't use it on the back (sheets, muslin, über thin wide backing fabric, etc.). I like to have the back relate to the front as well.

This one is a mirror image of the border design from the front that was put into a strip down the center, wide enough to span the necessary distance between the WOF sections on either side of it.

Blog Entries
    I've often heard that you shouldn't use bed sheets for backings, and I'm not sure why. I heard it's about the thread count, but sheets come in all different thread counts. I have looked at the extra wide backings but IMHO it seems they are thinner fabric. Has any one else found that to be true? Usually I just pievc

Blog Entries
    I've often heard that you shouldn't use bed sheets for backings, and I'm not sure why. I heard it's about the thread count, but sheets come in all different thread counts. I have looked at the extra wide backings but IMHO it seems they are thinner fabric. Has any one else found that to be true? Usually I just piece my backs out of quilting fabric because I like my back to be as nice as the top.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the great ideas about backing. I am at that place now with my quilt. Going to piece and put some of the front quilt on the back.

I use a good quality muslin as back.....it also comes in wide width now for the bedsize tops......I like traditional designs which is why I like the muslin for backs....

If I am doing a large quilt, I prefer to use the wide backing....so much easier and no seams!.....I've also done flannel (must prewash and dry)....and I've done pieced with just one fabric and that is ok, but don't care to mess with the ones that are pieced with several different fabrics.....keeping the seams straight and where you want them is a real bother, at least for me.....am sure there is a technique to make it easier, just haven't figured it out yet!

I mostly use the 108" wide backing fabrics, and mostly white or neutral. The back of a quilt just isn't that important to me, especially if it's a wall hanging. I can't bring myself to pay for yardage when $18-$20 will buy enough 108" wide fabric for a backing.

Regarding the extra wide fabric being thin, I have found that in non brand fabric. Robert Kaufman and Moda both have very nice bleached muslin though.

I prefer wide material for backing as I don't have to worry about making sure the seams are dead straight at the back.

I go with whatever the quilt seems to call for. I have pieced some and used the xtra wide for some.

Blog Entries
    I have been using yardage from Connecting Threads clearance seconds I have not found anything truly wrong to use for backings but limited colors and prints but they have worked for the last 12 bed size quilts I have made. I have been paying 1.98 per yard for it, and if I order enough for two quilts to make some pillowcases to coordinate and a new spool of thread - I get free shipping.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast