Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ugly Fabric Only Please

Me and my big mouth were in the middle of a sewing "moment" when I told my darling husband about the sabbatical that was going on with some of the members and how I should do the same thing then I wouldn't be going through all this fabric looking for that one piece I just know I had, etc. etc. Well, Mr. Smartie Pants added h would do laundry and cooking if that happened. I thought he would forget about it and we could move on--he hasn't and I am starting to quiver, shake, and cry over the beautiful stuff that has been posted.

So please help out a fellow fabricaholic that for the next 355 more days and post ugly fabric only--LOL I'm okay...I go out of town next week and I am figuring that I could fold the stuff to look like clothes, yeah, and then I could fill my suit case with "clothes", yeah and then.....pray for me

I'm on a fabric diet as well, at least until the end of the year. So far I've gone into my favorite LQS and visited a quilt show. Total purchases: 1 set of rotary cutting blades and a loaf of Zucchini bread :) (courtesy of the quilt show bake sale!)

I have looked at a few of the fabric sales here on the board and just said "no". honest. You too can do it!!

Buy the prettiest pair of decorated pink rubber gloves, and on the day your moratorium is over - hand them (gift wrapped) to Mr. Smartypants on your way out the door to the LQS!!

Does buying fabric at thrift stores count??? I got 4yds of flannel for $2 so I decided I could fudge a bit.

dd
    Good deal on the flannel. I've been trying that too. But then I had to find something for borders for the quilt in my UFO's that I wanted to finish, had to get those other 2 that were on sale, might need them one day. then at Good will I found 2 different bolts of blue calico for $5 each. One bolt was almost full the other about 1/2 full, still for $5... I'm trying though.

Blog Entries
    I slipped on my diet with the recent going out of business online fabric store....160 fq's for $50......too good of a deal....but, where am I going to put it when it gets here...and, how do I break the news to my hubby?

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    As much as I love fabric, I hate cooking more! Sounds like a good deal to me. Cleaning, too?? You can do it!! We should start a support group thread.

Blog Entries
    Wow! Some great thrift store deals!! Those don't count!! A lot of us are grounded from buying!!

Blog Entries
    I would jump for joy if my DH would make me an offer like that!!! Cooking and laundry are waayyy down on my list of things I like to do.

And I am also on a budget-imposed fabric diet. Sigh. But hopefully things will be better after Christmas.

You can do it !!! Just use the fabric in your stash for now and don't cave in. Keep in mind, that when the time is up, you can buy the latest fabric and have lots more time to quilt since he will be doing the dishes and the laundry.

you said fabric. well love now you can buy all of the thread, and rulers, and even a new machine or that long arm that you have always wanted. lol there is a lot of things that i want that is not fabric but have to do with quilting. lol just a thought. happy quilting

Are you out of your mind....A WHOLE YEAR....lol will never do it even if he cleans my car everyday and and and whatever he does...lol

Just say no, just say no, just say no...Repeat as necessary. You can do it.

OMG! That hurts me just to think about it. Couldn't you have at least said a month. You may have to explain that the way prices are going up you need to stock up now. Good luck.

I, too had vowed not to buy anything unless I needed it to finish a project already waiting. But, a couple of garage sales later, I ended up w/half a van for only about $20. Lady was anxious to get rid of it because she has still a lot more. All usable & good quality. Have already got 2 charity quilts almost done with it to ease my conscience.

Are yall out of your ever-loving minds? NOT buy fabric for a year........You know when he has to do all that stuff....it isn't going to be the way you want it and you are going to be doing it and you will have gone for a whole year without buying fabric......The QUILT POLICE would be called by my DH to come and get me for sure......I would be that woman who barracaded herself in her sewing room....perched on my swivel chair stuffing fabric in my bra and anything else I could find.....No I think it is best if I don't do this....I can just see for me this is not a good idea.......I have slowed down. I can do that and I can even get slower...But I would not make it much past my next retirement check. I am putting any one who agrees to this on my emergency prayer list. This is serious.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    NO way!!!

My whites would be pink, and we would have mac n cheeze and dogs every nite if hubby was in charge... Ok, maybe he'd get tired of M&C and grill a nite or two.. No thanks....

Blog Entries
    Baby steps, baby steps.......I, too, am on a fabric diet! I actually went to Joanne's yesterday and only bought rotary blades!!!! Now, if I can get through my one day a week job at the LQS.......pray for me!!! The diet started August 13th and I haven't bought ANY fabric since. Of course, there's the fabric I brought home from a friend's stash (shhhh - that doesn't count!)

Omg, a whole year... no way, i can barely go a week without some kind of fabric fix.. I dont' care if it from LSQ, walmart, thrift store or garage sale lol.. I am a fabric junkie. I wish you all the luck in the world, love the idea of buying him pink gloves to do the dishes with lol, can u use some ugly fabric and make him a pretty apron too?

I had some real ugly fabric that had some big fruits on it and was orange and pink and purple with puce and a real strange yellow. Cut that puppy up and made a real striking OBW.
    which my DH at first called the pepto bismol quilt because of all the pepto pink in it. Sometimes ugly fabric just needs the right home for it. Although I don't think you should go on a fabric diet, sometimes these things are another way to exercise your creativity. If you can't make it, oh well. You are not perfect :) :)

My fabric cupboards like my pants are busting at the seams. We are both going on a diet. I did really well for the first 7 months of the year, then I went on a binge. Really bad time to go on a diet though. One of my quilting friends is coming for the weekend and we are going on a quilting store tour. I am sure I will go off my diet. But after the weekend I am taking the pledge.

Good luck! Not sure what I would do.

Blog Entries
    I would claim temporary insanity!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    hahahaaha what funny comments and ya know I agree to em all ~! LOL :-)

Quote Originally Posted by alikat110
    I slipped on my diet with the recent going out of business online fabric store....160 fq's for $50......too good of a deal....but, where am I going to put it when it gets here...and, how do I break the news to my hubby?
    According to my math that figures out to be less than $.30 a piece! What a bargain. You are set for life! lol

"One of my quilting friends is coming for the weekend and we are going on a quilting store tour. I am sure I will go off my diet. But after the weekend I am taking the pledge."

Lots a luck on that one,M!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast