Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to tie?

I use yarn. And I try to match the colors to the quilt. My Mom did it that way for years. And the only things that came undone was the kids wore out the blocks. Not the yarn.

I am glad this subject came up I was going to ask also when I got to that point. I think I will try the perle cotton someone said it goes through easier. I have only tyed one small quillow and had a hard time getting the yarn through the material.i like the look but for something bigger was wondering if there isn't a better way. THANKS

Blog Entries
    I have tied many many quilts and haven't had any problems. I used yarn and now use pearl cotton or crochet thread. I also use a surgeons knot, it has never come out. My mother's quilts were tied with yarn, over 50 years ago and still going strong.

I use pearle cotton or yarn...But DO NOT use crewel yarn. I used it because it was a perfect color match and I had it on hand. The ties started to come untied with in 3 months of use. I ended up retyeing it with pearle cotton.

I don't hand tie anymore.....I machine quilt myself but when I did tie I used cotton Crosheen....it's a crochet thread.
    Lots of quilting groups use it also. That's how I started
    using Crosheen......
    It comes in 2 different sizes of balls sort of......

Blog Entries
    I use a thimble to push needle most of the way through then use needle nose pliers (or regular ones) to pull it the rest of the way!

Tried using a hemostat to tie and decided I'll never be a surgeon! Not strong enough to pull needle through fabric either!

What needles do you all use? I'm using embroidery needles, but have a few very sharp needles about 2" long that I foolishly tossed the packet for!

I like to use baby yarn. I found some thin yarn at WalMart that was varigated, so I can get several shades or colors off a single skein. I tried using tapestry needles, but they were too blunt. I have since found "yarn darners" from Dritz and "soft sculpture needles (which are VERY long) and they both have a sharper point. I use a surgeon's knot and leave anout 1/2 inch tail.

Power Poster
    Perle cotton for me.

I use 3 strands of the embroidery floss that many use for cross-stitching. My last quilt tied this way has been used and abused and still looks great. I just use a very large-eyed needle to thread the 3 strands.

I prefer perle cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict
    I have used both embrodiery thread and pearl cotton. I think I prefer the pearl cotton to work with.
    ditto

I just read a quilting book that had some cool ideas similar to tying. One was to use your sewing machine to stitch over the center of a ribbon and then tie the ribbon in a bow. You would stitch a ribbon on in the same places where you would traditionally tie the quilt.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use yarn to cordinate with the quilt. But I'm doing a scrappy quilt right now and when it's finished I think I'm going to have it quilted because of all the seams. Also because it's a king size.

Perle Cotton and a long dollmaking needle

I use embroidery thread. I've been into cross-stitching for years so I only have 3000 skeins!

I use embroidery thread. I've been into cross-stitching for years so I only have 3000 skeins! Sorry, sent twice, keep doing that!

I tied by first quilt because I didn't know how to quilt it. I used yarn and it's still holding up after 30+ years. My grandmother use embroidery floss, because she had blanket stitched around the blocks. The blanket stitching began to wear out. I don't remember the ties as well.

Perle cotton, embroidery floss, and yarn, depending on the quilt and colors.

I have used all of the above but here lately I have use the pearl cotton more often. I think it really depends on how you wanted the end results to look, stand-outish, sort of blend in or somewhere in between.

Blog Entries
    Look at all the posts on this subject! And I'll bet a lot of other people saw the topic and thought "Nobody ever ties quilts anymore." Just 2 or 3 more blocks to go on my "Quilty Pleasures" and it will adorn my big brass bed!

Ever try tying with different colors and shapes of buttons?

I hate to put a damper on things, but yarn can be very dangerous to infants. The tuffs of yarn can come off and if gotten into the mouth, can suffocate. This info came from a pediatric nurse. I use six stands of floss or perle cotton.

My DGM always used yarn.

Quote Originally Posted by eightylady
    humbird, what kind of knot do you prefer using? Thanks for the color idea :thumbup:
    I use the surgeon's knot. I use all 6 ply's of floss. My avatar quilt was tied, using many many differents colors of floss.

This is the dnp, minus the top boarder, that I am tying. What a great source of info on that subject here on this board. I think I will use perle cotton this time, as I have a variety of colors that I bought to hand quilt another project. (way down on my list). I may try the surgeons knot again. This quilt is wierd because it is wider than longer due to the fact it is for a studio couch that you see. Doesn't need a lot of length. Thanks for all your help, won't be starting it for a few weeks.

dsp001
    Name:  Attachment-115161.jpe
Views: 41
Size:  66.8 KB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast