Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does it mean to "ease in" fabric? >

What does it mean to "ease in" fabric?

What does it mean to "ease in" fabric?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Easing in means when you are trying to piece together two units that don't match exactly.

For example, when we attach our final borders to a quilt it is best practice to measure the center of your quilt top for the border measurement then cut your border piece to match that measurement. During construction process things stretch and go off fractions of inches. So your edge may measure 50 3/4" while the center of your top and your cut to that measurement border piece may only measure 50 1/2". You need to "ease in" the larger measurement piece. I am old school so I do it by pinning in the center, pinning each corner, then pin at the half way point between center and corner and continue doing that until the whole unit is pinned about every 3 to 4" or so then I end up distributing that extra 1/4" across the entire length of the unit instead of in just a small area resulting in a pleat or gather where you don't want one.

Easing in is also used when doing curved piecing. It is done a lot in clothing construction. here is a link to a you tube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh7_zvHcIio

PS love your dog in your avatar. What a beauty!
This is my method for borders. And it makes a quilt much easier to work with for LA Quilters. Unless there is an excessive amount to ease in then the center has kind of a tent like area for the LA'er to ease in.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 PM

Thank you everyone for your help, I appreciate it.
Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Easing in means when you are trying to piece together two units that don't match exactly.

For example, when we attach our final borders to a quilt it is best practice to measure the center of your quilt top for the border measurement then cut your border piece to match that measurement. During construction process things stretch and go off fractions of inches. So your edge may measure 50 3/4" while the center of your top and your cut to that measurement border piece may only measure 50 1/2". You need to "ease in" the larger measurement piece. I am old school so I do it by pinning in the center, pinning each corner, then pin at the half way point between center and corner and continue doing that until the whole unit is pinned about every 3 to 4" or so then I end up distributing that extra 1/4" across the entire length of the unit instead of in just a small area resulting in a pleat or gather where you don't want one.

Easing in is also used when doing curved piecing. It is done a lot in clothing construction. here is a link to a you tube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh7_zvHcIio

PS love your dog in your avatar. What a beauty!
Oooh, let me tell you, that video helped ALOT. And I'm glad you mentioned borders because I'm about to put my first ones on an Irish Chain. Hopefully it goes well.

And thank you for that nice comment about my dog, he is a purty little thing isn't he, lol. Love the color on your cat.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 PM

Curves frequently need easing in. To begin with use the pin method . Pin in middle of each pieces separately. Pin at ends pin at quarter and eight positions on both. Now pin the together when stitch just a gentle stretch may be needed but still keep pins correct. As you become more proficient you can do the block curves without pinning. Utube have videos showing. Borders are always measure in centre of sides and pin as much as is needed. This keeps quilt square and no wavy edges.