Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does a newbie ask Santa for? >

What does a newbie ask Santa for?

What does a newbie ask Santa for?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:44 PM

1. Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers so you can easily do HSTs and flying geese. Check out Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilt, Easy Street, at www.quiltville.com.

2. Plastic storage chests to store your growing stash.

3. Extra schmetz needles.

Also, be sure to sign up at Joanns to get on their mailing list for lots of good coupons. Merry Christmas! :-)
Old 12-14-2012, 03:28 PM

Hi Andy, firstly WELCOME to your new addiction!! You're going to love it here. It has taken me years to amass all my goodies, so what I would ask for is gift cards to JoAnn's, Connecting Threads or just Visa gift cards so you can purchase whatever you want whenever you feel the need for it!!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:26 PM

No one mentioned the most important...A Walking Foot for your sewing machine...Best investment you'll ever make.
Love my Rotating cutting mat, 12x12..no having to lift your ruler and place down again just turn your mat
My new favorite is Curved Safety pins...can't have enough of those
Pin cushions filled with pins in every spot you sew...I never seem to have enough
Back cushion for you chair
Non slip mat for your foot petal
Love my Fons and Porter Design Bd bought at Joann's with 50 off coupon
As many rulers as you can find...I have them in all sizes and shapes...
Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM

A cutting mat that rotates (So you don't have to move your pieces when you are making half square trianges or quarter square triangles) A good beginner's quilting book for easy quilts, pre-cut charm packs, layer cakes or jelly rolls. And by all means check out Missouri Quilts tutorials on youtube.com.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 PM

I love my craft table that is tall enough that I don't have to bend over too far. It folds down on both sides to store away, ( not that mine ever is lol ). I bought it years ago, and I am so glad that I did.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 PM

I like the June Taylor shape cuts: 1/2, 1/8 and the HST. So many things are out there for us. Also sign up for a class somewhere, they are wonderful.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 PM

LARGE bottle of Elmer's school glue for basting and binding, rotary cutter blades, small, sharp scissors, quilt books, quilting magazine subscriptions, thread, 6.5 x 6.5 in. ruler, gift cards to local fabric shops...I could go on forever, LOL! Enjoy whatever Santa does bring you!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:48 AM

I"d add a 6x12 ruler. the rest of your list sounds great..oh and maybe some gift certificates to your local quilt shop?
Old 12-15-2012, 06:58 PM

Fabric! The first year I quilted, I told everyone who asked what I wanted to buy me 2 or 3 yards of fabric. I ended up with 37 yards of fabric! I loved it!! That was 3 years ago. I have made 44 quilts since then, and I did use all of that fabric. Of course, I have a nice stash now, but I still like fabric as a gift.

Dina
Old 12-16-2012, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Fabric! The first year I quilted, I told everyone who asked what I wanted to buy me 2 or 3 yards of fabric. I ended up with 37 yards of fabric! I loved it!! That was 3 years ago. I have made 44 quilts since then, and I did use all of that fabric. Of course, I have a nice stash now, but I still like fabric as a gift.

Dina
What a great idea! I think I might do that next year (or this year if anyone still asks this close to Christmas)! I think I would tell them to ask the shop owner to suggest a neutral or a blender... What fun!