Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does the Quilting Police look like? >

What does the Quilting Police look like?

What does the Quilting Police look like?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2
Originally Posted by QuiltE
They have good disguises, and look quite like normal quilters.
Check their tongue .... as that's the true indentifying factor!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know a few that don't quilt at all. And, those ones raise one eyebrow, smirk, and always always tell us they can get it cheaper at Walmart.
I thought the Q.P. would not be caught dead buying fabric at Walmart? Hmmmm. I thought I was safe being seen there, lol. (tho to tell the truth, haven't seem much fabric I would buy there right now)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM

Okay ladies (and gents) - here is a real, live quilt Policewoman. She is my mother. We truly have a good relationship, but I know how she is ...

Block flipper. If she's looking at an unfinished piece she flips it to check out the seams. So ... I don't let her see anything unfinished.

She loves the quilt shown in the picture here, but will not call it a quilt because it won't fit on a bed. It's a throw.

Everything I've ever shown her ... ever ... she has told me how it could have been done better. HER mother however - my grandmother ... was the definition of unconditional love ... so between them guess I had the best of both!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-138649-1.htm
Old 10-18-2011, 12:58 PM

Dear Jo, The feline quilt police made my day. Thanks for a good laugh. How did you get the cat to hold still for that garb?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:20 PM

I think they have a pointed nose and a cruel sharp tongue. They also seem to think pretty highly of their self and think they've never done anything wrong in their life.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:22 PM

Squinty-eyed with a long, pointy nose and a very sharp tongue!
Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by babyfireo4
Hmmm.... I always picture them as really strict librarians with the "eagle eye" that finds every minor fault and holds a magnifying glass just in case they don't see an error right away ;)
Hey! I used to be a librarian. Shhhhh!!!!!! :lol:
Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 PM

I think the biggest clue is the mouth drawn up into a tight, straight line...no "eye crinkles" from laughter, either! Other than that, they usually look fairly normal until you introduce a quilt into the setting... :D
Old 10-18-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Trust me ! You will know .. they come in many forms , but give themselves away pretty quickly!
They typically start with phrases Like : "I would never", or "Is this your first quilt?" or the most obvious "why don't you....."
Or the most offensive "a good quilter would have......"
or "Oh, You can't be a quilter!" Easy to hear that phrase.
Sounds like many of us carry some of these "phrases."
Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
My quilt police who judges my quilts so harshly looks very much like the lady I see in the mirror. Mind you, this police woman only picks on me. Her voice says "if you are going to put the effort into this, you need to make it your best effort. This seam could be moved over just a whisker."

I wish she would be quiet sometimes.
I see and hear this same person when I do anything. Years and years and she just will never "be quiet." Intellectually I know better but my HEART .....and I try so hard to "Please" and I really do want to be a quilter - to do it right - to obey those rules as I do like the "beautiful quilts" and I know if I do follow most of the "rules" I will have better seams, piecing, quilting and .... quilts.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:29 PM

The quilt police come in all shapes and sizes. The one I know personally comes off so nice until there is a controversy in how to do something, then she is the "authority" on all forms of quilting and techniques. She has always done whatever it is before and KNOWS she is right. I just smile sweetly and do it my way. ha.