Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What does your LQS do? Tear or cut? >

What does your LQS do? Tear or cut?

What does your LQS do? Tear or cut?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Mine rotary cuts. I went to one store and they tore....I won't ever go back. I asked them to cut and they wouldn't.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 AM

The two I go to cut
Old 08-21-2009, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
I wonder if this is a regional thing. I've gone to A LOT of quilting stores in Washington, probably nearly all of them in Western Washington, and quite a few in Oregon, and I've only been to one that tears. Frankly, I was stunned and I didn't like it at all.

The next time I went to that shop, quite a distance from home, the batiks were on sale. I picked a large number of bolts, had hubby also carry a large number of bolts, put them on the counter and requested that they cut the fabric rather than tear it. They said they "could not" cut it, so I let them keep it. :shock: I was so annoyed we went to the shop two blocks down (the only other fabric shop in town) and bought A LOT of fabric which they were happy to cut.
Way to go, Girl ! :thumbup:
Old 08-21-2009, 06:19 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

We only cut. On the line a single layer at a time, for panels or prints with a definite horizontal design or checks & plaids. Straight across for anything else.

As a shop, you have to pick one or the other. If you alternated between cutting and tearing you would greatly increase waste and therefore cost.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 AM

They cut, but I prefer they tear. They never cut very straight, I can't tell you how many times I have got home with less than what I purchased. Now I make them remeasure. I like a few xtra inches because, I tear it for long strips and if they cut it you lose when you tear your borders and backs.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Originally Posted by quiltluvr
Shops here cut--scissors and rotary. I visited a shop in VA years back. They rotary cut the regular bolts but tore the wide backing material.

Come to think of it, it happened like that too in a shop I visited in PA too.
Hmmm... any off-grain issue will be multiplied by the width of the fabric, so it probably makes sense to be doing tearing with the wide backings.

And yet... supposing it was off-grain, you'd now have a very large diamond-shaped piece of fabric for your backing. So you'd better wash it, right? So that it straightens out before assembly?
Washing sometimes helps it "straighten" - sometimes it doesn't - that's why I wash BEFORE I do anything else to the fabric - I've learned to let the fabric "do it's own thing" - I won't even try to straighten the modern fabrics
Old 08-21-2009, 12:42 PM

The shops I go to cut. That is my preference too. Back in the '80's I worked at a shop up north. We cut the bolts (with scissors), but tore the flat folds (100% cotton only). We also opened up panels and cut single layer on the line.

If I have a very long piece of fabric and want just a yd or so, I will sometimes tear a piece off out of laziness. It's quicker than hauling out my stuff (no dedicated sewing room).
Old 08-21-2009, 12:58 PM

I like mine cut. Something about tearing fabric bugs me.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:29 PM

the biggest quilting store around me tears. I had never seen it done before I went there. I kind of like it.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:48 PM

The LQS here uses a rotary cutter to cut everything in her store but the big chain store, it depends on who you get. One lady will tear everything and another one will cut with scissors. The big chain does not use rotary cutters at all! I am beginning to agree, I do like it better cut, with rotary cutter if possible, but scissors if nothing else.
Kendra