Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What is the downside to Muslin???

Lyn
    I use muslin for backings of wall hangings because no one will see the back and I use it to sew down my pretty material for crazy quilts. JoAnns has different thread counts. They seem to have very nice smooth muslin.

Many of my quilts are backed with muslin and the quilts are so light, soft and comfy. I think many just prefer to use the pretty fabrics for their backs as they feel it gives them a more finished look. It is definitely a more contemporary look but I'm more of a traditional patchwork hand quilter by choice.
    Patty

OK, for those of you keeping up with my surgery situation I just got back from the doctor. All went well. I got my stitches out and was told everything is healing like it should. No clearance to get back to sewing yet. I was told to wait at least 4 more weeks and maybe 6. Bummer!!! You all are going to have to pick up my slack for me, lol!

In my opinion there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with muslin. I have even used my Joann's coupon to buy a bolt of the better-quality muslin to have on hand. I use it for redwork, in my 1930's repro fabric quilts, and a Civil War quilt. Lots of uses for it. And remember, if it feels right and looks right to you ... it must be right!!!

I have not used it before because I assumed the quality and sturdiness was not as good. Thanks to all of you for your input. I'll try it myself.

Try Moda Muslin Mates. Very nice in quality and comes in some soft colors, shadows and designs. Nice to the feel also

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    What is crayon fabric tinting? Inquiring minds want to know!
    I am trying to attach directions for fabric tinting. I have made several full size quilts using this technique for the blocks. One of them won judges' favorite at the county fair. The craft started in the 1920's and 1930's and some of the items made then are collector's items now. This is great to do with your kids, grandkids, Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, etc.

Since this is the first time I've tried an attachment on this site, I may have trouble! I guess I'll know when I get the e-mail.
    froggyintexas

Blog Entries
    I love muslin! I also love Aunt Grace fabric and that goes really well with the muslin. I've always wanted to do a cathedral wondow quilt and that will be muslin also. I have seen some really good quality, high thread count, bleached and unbleached.

The only problem I have with muslin is that there are so many kinds, bleached, unbleached, tea-dyed, etc. I had trouble deciding which one to use. I guess it is up to the quilter to decide, but it always made me hesitate to use any unless the pattern called for it...and then told you which one to use!

Blog Entries
    I think muslin is great if you use the better quality of it, and I should think it would work well if one could transfere paper piecing patterns to it.

I find few complaints with musln

I appreciate the heads-up about JoAnn's Kona. I was planning on using it for a couple quilt backings, and I'll be sure to wash it first! I love this site!

i use a good quality muslin and like it

I love to use unbleached muslin as background fabric when I make a quilt with reproduction fabrics. I think it looks more authentic. Also, I use bleached muslin for fabric dying. I always prewash and have had no problems with it.

This is off the subject. I am a newbie to quilting and have not used muslin. I just wonder were you get those cool animated icon's!!! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Alisapao730
    This is off the subject. I am a newbie to quilting and have not used muslin. I just wonder were you get those cool animated icon's!!! :lol:
    I just stumbled across mine on a german quilt guild site. I really don't know where everyone gets them or how to put them in their signature space. It wouldn't work for me so I put it in my avatar. Good luck finding one. Maybe you can google them.

I purchased bolt of good quality muslin. I wash what I need for a project in hot water, dry and then iron. Good for backing a wallhanging, foundation blocks, crafts, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    There is another thread going called "Muslin" and everyone seems to say muslin isn't that great. I asked there what the downside to muslin is and haven't really seen the question answered. So... I thought I would ask in a seperate thread. I use muslin all the time. For those of you that do not, my question is WHY???
    I like the softness factor of muslin.

I love the look of muslin, especially with 30s and Civil War reproductions but I always use 200 thread count muslin. Definitely worth the cost difference.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I, too, love muslin - both the unbleached and the bleached. However, as with most things, there are different qualities of the fabric. I always go for the top quality - usually means higher thread count. Some muslin is so wimpy that you can see through it. I also prefer what is called "permanent press. All cotton wrinkles, but if it's not perma-press, you just can't iron those wrinkles out :)

My Dear Jane is a scrappy quilt & I have used muslin as the background fabric. I really like muslin for backings to my quilts, especially wall hangings. Walls don't have eyes and I'd rather spend my fabric $ on the front.

I think whomever said there was adownside to muslin must have gotten hold of the low thread count, non-permanent press stuff. Continue to use it and don't worry. Out ancestors used lots of it!

KR
    Definitely different grades of muslin. I'm using Robert Kaufman's unbleached 108" wide from JoAnn's for the background in my Dear Jane blocks.....think it goes nicely with antique-looking fabrics. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterguy27
    There is another thread going called "Muslin" and everyone seems to say muslin isn't that great. I asked there what the downside to muslin is and haven't really seen the question answered. So... I thought I would ask in a seperate thread. I use muslin all the time. For those of you that do not, my question is WHY???
    I began quilting in 1969. My first quilts ALL used muslin as a background. It was one of the few 100% cotton fabrics that was readily available.

I have some quilts that I made in the 80s that have muslin backgrounds, have been used on beds for 20 years, and washed frequently. They get softer and softer, but none have holes in them, none have batting bearding through!

Look for a fabric that is about 60-70 threads per inch. If you can read a newspaper through it, it's probably a bit thin for quilting.

I think there is muslin and muslin, like any other fabric. Buy the best that you can afford.

I make quilts for children and just tend to stay away from a lot of white. Thats the only reason I don't use muslin for backing and very little for patchwork. If you like it use it, the quilt police want come and get you.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Hi Fellow Buckeye! I love muslin!! Oh my gosh I've used it for years. One thing I love about it is the quilting stitches show up beautifully with it. I've never had a problem with it.
    I buy the best I can afford but I've been happy with the cheapie too!

Blog Entries
    I don't see one, if you are careful what you use it for. My daughter buys best quality muslin, gives it all there prep to dyeing and then prceeds to make the most beautiful colors you have ever seen! The big PLUS is it never will bleed or shrink. It is wonderful to do needle turn applique with. :) :) :)

Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Hi Fellow Buckeye! I love muslin!! Oh my gosh I've used it for years. One thing I love about it is the quilting stitches show up beautifully with it. I've never had a problem with it.
    I buy the best I can afford but I've been happy with the cheapie too!
    Hello right back, Buckeye! I agree with you!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast