Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the downside to Muslin??? >

What is the downside to Muslin???

What is the downside to Muslin???

Old 08-09-2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by ladybug4495
Guess I don't understand, thought Kona muslin was Kona muslin no matter where it is purchsed.
Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
The only down side I have with muslin is that is shrinks more than regular cotton, especially Kona muslin from Jo-anns. I just wash in hot water, dry and iron (press). I use it in quilt blocks.
There are various weights/thread counts of Kona Muslin, no matter where it's bought. They have good ones and cheaper ones. So that's probably what she meant.

Muslin quilt backs are what my grandma used. Today on my bed is one of her hand quilted quilts that is about 40 yrs old. The back is no more worn than the front. I don't worry about wear, or anything else, when purchasing a better quality muslin. The cheaper muslins are great for using as a foundation, practicing machine quilting, toy linings, etc, but do shrink more when washed.

I say - use what you want! No problemo :)
Old 08-09-2010, 04:21 AM

I use muslin in many of my quilts. There is nothing like it for the old fashioned look to quilts. It was the only white that my mother and aunts used in their quilts for years and years. I have some on Moms quiits that were made in the 30 abd fortys and they still look good.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:42 AM

Muslin has to be preshrunk if used with other cottons or you have puckered patches when the quilt is washed and dried. Some feel you get what you pay for so they use only cottons from other sources and avoid the cheapest cloth for quilting, which is muslin. It does not have the sheen or fine thread count other cottons and calicoes have but it is economical to use. A purist would not use muslin and would not use it along with more expensive cloth.
Carol J.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:05 AM

I'm so glad I asked this question. All of your responses vary so much. I used muslin in the very first quilt I made and it's still on my bed. It's at least 8 years old and gets washed regularly and is still holding up just great. No signs of wear at all. Hope it stays that way cause I expect to have it on my bed for many more years to come. It's not that pretty as it was my FIRST, but it is my favorite. Besides one other that hangs on the wall of my sewing room it's the only one I've ever kept.

I will continue to use muslin in my quilts, front and back. I happen to love the look and the feel of it. I do always wash it first to get all the shrinkage out of it. Thanks so much to all of you for all your varied responses. I look forward to reading more.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:05 AM

I think if your project NEEDS muslin use it. I think the problem with muslin is that is becomes a 'default' decision when you can't find something else. ("Well, I guess I could just use muslin!") Let there be a reason for the muslin choice other than that, and there's nothing wrong with it.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:04 AM

I love muslin as quilt backings. JoAnns carriers various widths. Muslin is just so good to have on hand to practice a quilting technique, to make up a dress/blouse pattern for fitting. Years and years ago I made "cottage" curtains with muslin for my house. Not long ago I made curtains (not drapes) for my DD and I used muslin for the linning. Those curtains had such a good "hand". Just as others mention here, wash it first.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by BevD
I think it's the same as what we call 'calico' here?? I use it heaps as backgrounds and backings for small quilts and wallhangings. It comes in varying shades of cream and I usually buy it by the bolt as I also do calico dolls.
I wouldn't doubt that you're right. There's a quilter I quilt with here who is from South Africa, and she confused me good a couple of times before I figured out that what she calls "calico" I would call "muslin".
Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 AM

I have a stash of inherited family quilts, some over 100 years old. I've noticed that the heavier quality muslin used in many, both within the top pattern and for the backing, holds up better through time than the printed fabrics.

I like the muslin for block backgrounds, etc. It gives the rustic, older look I like in my quilts.

However, I've also discovered all muslin is not alike--texture, density, and even color, whether the bleached or unbleached. So--if you are using it, be sure you buy enough at the time for your project or you may not be able to find the exact match later. Luckily, when I decided to increase the size of a quilt I was making using muslin on hand and couldn't find a match, I found some at an estate sale that was an exact match. Was I happy when I got home with it and compared it to what I was using that it was identical!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:02 AM
MNM

Originally Posted by gail-r
The first embroideried quilt I made was Simon's Folly, and I thought I had to follow the book, so the book said to use either calico or muslin for the blocks. So, I thought that calico would take away from the embroidery so I bought 200 TC muslin for the blocks and cheaper wide muslin for the back. I will never do that again, the cheap muslin stretched as I was trying to quilt it, so I ended up taking the quilting out and re-washing the backing in very hot water and drying on the highest dryer temp. Then I re-did the quilting. As an end result, I now have some waving in the center block. This is the quilt that took me 3 years to figure out how to re-hoop and get everything lined up just perfect. Some time later I found out that in Aus. the terms used for cotton is calico or muslin. I'll attach a couple of pic's so you can see what I'm talking about.

Hugs, Gail
What a beautiful piece of art this quilt is. My mouth is hanging open still. You must have the patience of a saint to do all that hand work MNM
Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 AM

I use a better quality muslin for quilts and also backings. Haven't had a problem. The input was interesting.