Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what fabric would you use to make dresser scarves?

Blog Entries
    i use mostly regular quilting cottons or wools for mine, have a mixture of the two all around the house. it just depends on the finished design. make them with what ever you want.

Dresser scarves are made to protect the surface of your furniture from scratches and wear. Embroidering a dresser scarf was one of the first things we did to learn our stitches and they went into our hope chests. I still have some I made 70 years ago and still use them.
    A good source for linen/like fabric is Joann Fabrics. Some of their linen has polyester in it so does not require ironing. Comes in many colors and would be excellent for machine or hand embroidery. I have used it for years.
    Carol J.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseP
    Quote Originally Posted by loopywren
    Quote Originally Posted by DeniseP
    I want to make dresser scarves for Chirstmas and do not know what type of fabric to use. I have an embroidery machine and tons of designs that would look beautiful, but I haven't done it because I have no idea what to use. Should I use Kona cotton or some other cotton. I prefer to stay with cotton as it is easier to wash. Help!
    What are dresser scarves please?
    A dresser scarf is a piece of cotton fabric that is usually embroidered and has lace around it. You put it on the top of the dresser, almost like a doily.
    They were "invented" in the early years to keep dresser items from scratching the wood finish.

I have dresser scarves from my deceased grandmother. I'm not sure this fabric is available now. It may have even been plain feedsacks. It is rather coarse. Linen would embroider beautifully. I have no idea how much it would cost.

I would use 100% good grade cotton material. I use
    this when I need to embroidery some thing and it works'
    fine. Betty Lee

This is too funny. I thought I was goofy or something because I had never seen a subject on this. I had left over blocks from the quilt I made for my bed, thought I wanted something to cover the dresser too. So I made it out of the leftover blocks. Now I find this here. I am ok, I am ok, I am ok. lol...

Rita

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I think I would use a poly/cotton blend as they are more wrinkle resistant, some people I know would toss it in a drawer after washing rather than ironing it.
    I agree.
    I use poly/cotton also.

PEP

This will probably sound crazy, but I'm a country "girl" !?! with country tastes. I love making many things with denim! Not only my jeans, but coasters, outdoor cushions, and end table cloths in my living room. Embroidery on denim is quite striking and you can always put a piece of denim on the bottom and then something sheer on top for bedroom.
    Still crazy in Ohio!

Blog Entries
    I was thinking Linen but that would have to be ironed

I have done this with machine emb. Make sure the emb. design you are choosing has enough fill for the size cloth you are using. Problems could develop with stitches "falling" though the holes.
    Just MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I use Aida or Hardanger for hand embroidered dresser scarves. Seems like they would work for machine embroidery just as well. Both are 100% cotton and come in lots of colors. http://www.juliesxstitch.com/Tips_ChoosingaFabric.htm

I make purficators cloths for my church to use during the masses. I use white weavers cloth which I buy from WalMart when I travel and can find a walmart that still sells fabric. I embroidery on it with my machine and this would make nice dresses scraves....it also come in a dark khaki color.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fmd36
    I have done this with machine emb. Make sure the emb. design you are choosing has enough fill for the size cloth you are using. Problems could develop with stitches "falling" though the holes.
    Just MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I use Aida or Hardanger for hand embroidered dresser scarves. Seems like they would work for machine embroidery just as well. Both are 100% cotton and come in lots of colors. http://www.juliesxstitch.com/Tips_ChoosingaFabric.htm
    I have used the Aida with machine cross-stitch which looks really cool. You can find machine cross-stitch designs with sizes to match the thread count. But with stabilizer you shouldn't have a problem with the stitches going into the holes.

My grandmother used linen.

I would use strictly cotten. Linen or linen blends would be beautiful especially if you have pretty embroidery designs.

Muslin I especially like tea dyed for the old fashioned look

Blog Entries
    I would use a heavier cotton. (Dainty looking from the embroidery, and lace?) Heavier cotton won't wrinkle so much when laundered. I am not talking about denim here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2