Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a fair price to pay to get my pieced top FMQ'd? >

What is a fair price to pay to get my pieced top FMQ'd?

What is a fair price to pay to get my pieced top FMQ'd?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 PM

have you tried maybe tying your quilt top just an idea
Old 11-15-2013, 05:30 AM

Good thought, nellie, but this is a very modern, geometric design quilt and I think this one needs FMQ design on it. I have never tied a quilt, but will remember that in the future as an alternative. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:34 AM

I just got a quilt (85x108) back from my LAQ. She charged my $89 to quilt a pattern and make the back (I supplied the fabric.). This price also included backing. If she does a custom design I believe she charges about 10 cents an inch, but I've always just done patterns.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 AM

Thanks cynical beauty--your LAQ sounds very reasonable. I too think I would just use patterns, so hopefully that will make the cost a little less. I appreciate you responding.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:10 AM

Wow Cynicalbeauty, Sounds like you got one heck of a deal! That seems to be way to low of a price for the LongArmer. That's a lot of time and material for that price.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:12 AM

Some times the cost is based on how much per sq inch. I usually charge 1.5 cents per sq inch for a swirl or "mindful meandering" I call it. 95 x95 is 9025 sq in and depending on what it costs per inch at 1.5 would be $136.38, at 2 cents it would be $180. Most of the time you can add from $4 to $10 for thread (you wouldn't believe the cost of that for a long arm) and the batting (unless you purchase the batting). This gives you a little idea of what it can cost. When you pick a long armer, please ask for references and call them. There are terrific long armers and not so terrific, so make sure after you spent all that time making your quilt you have a good person doing it. It is easier to find a LAQ locally because shipping is really steep for sending quilts (I am a long armer for Quilts of Valor and shipping can cost $12-18 one way.) Hope this helps a little. I always recommend treating this like you are giving a job interview.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:23 AM

The last two quilts I had done was $225 for a double and $80 for a 52x80 coverlet. It was the meander stitch. Edie
Old 11-16-2013, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
There is a QB list of long armers but asking at your LQS is good too. Ask to see samples of their panto graphs and costs. Also ask about their waiting times if time is an issue. There are some posts on QB on preparing your quilt top for the long armer. Other things to consider are what batt, thread and backing the long armer likes or how much it will be if they supply it.
I agree with everything that Tartan listed. I use to quilt using my Bernina and I got lots of referrals from my LQS. I quilted many of the samples that were displayed in the shop so my work was readily available to be examined.

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 11-16-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:37 AM

I have paid a little as $40.00 for a queen size up to $400.00 for a queen size. Most were about $200 more or less. The $400.00 was a one time deal, detailed Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt. Still saving up to have the Pony Club Quilt done by the Long Arm Quilter. A neighbor has a Long Arm and is very reasonable at a penny per square foot. Love the Wyatt lady who does it for the $40.00 for some income and something to do. Even that amount has too be figured into a retirement budget with limited dollars for hobby.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:18 AM

I have done many quilt tops, some I quilted myself with FMQ and then I found a Long Arm quilter ( actually two) in the state of Washington where I live and I have never been more satisfied in my long career of Costuming and Quilting. Charisma Horton in Ephuta (she is on this board too) and also "Quiltermama" Beth North and she is Cheny Washington also on this board, both are so very creative and both are very affordable (more than you would think).
Charisa has a website too. You can see all her quilts. Here are a couple of pics of their work.
Hope this helps.
R

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I love designing and assembling the quilt tops, but my small machine makes the quilting process a real chore (plus I only know how to straight stitch quilt, not FMQ yet). I have a top I would like to get FM quilted. Questions: (1) How do I find a qualified FMQ expert (I live in Tulsa, OK), and (2) what is a fair price for this work? I am guessing it depends upon the size of the quilt and the complexity of the FMQ design used? My top is 95" x 95", and I think a simple swirl FMQ pattern would be my choice. Should I go to my LQS and ask for referrals? Thanks for any information!
Attached Thumbnails sdc10003.jpg   pink-poodle-quilt-longarmed.png   ribbons.png  

Last edited by rfbrazell; 11-16-2013 at 10:26 AM.