Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was the first thing you used a needle on? >

What was the first thing you used a needle on?

What was the first thing you used a needle on?

Old 05-28-2013, 01:40 PM

My dear sweet Aunt Abbie taught me how to crochet and knit when I was about 5 years old. Made lots of afghans. I took one sewing class in the 10th grade. Didn't start sewing clothes until my kids were in grade school. I made dresses for them. Made a bridesmaid dress for my daughter to be in her sister's wedding. Made curtains and a few easy robes. I was in my 20's. Then didn't sew again until a few months ago. A friend told me I should make a quilt. So, here I am, 70 years old and quilting. LOL
Old 05-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

Sewing in school was a fiasco. I HATED everything about it. Then I found quilting and LOVE almost everything about it.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

My DGM, Elsie, my DM, Ruth and DSis, Susan were all seamstresses. I came up watching them but in my early years never did much sewing. Not until I was instantly hooked after watching Alex Anderson almost 15 years ago. And now my house looks like I threw up a fabric store.

Love those three! They never did get to see what I do now, Which is sad but every quilt I make has their influence in it which is a good thing.
peace
Old 05-28-2013, 02:53 PM

I learned to embroider when I was 5. My mother wouldn't let me use the machine until I was 7. On my 7th birthday I made a doll from an old sheet. She was as big as I was and wore my clothes. I went on to sew like crazy. For my first day of school for 6th grade I did my first set in sleeves and button holes.
My first "quilt" was a series of 4 inch patches of scraps from all the clothes and costumes I had made for myself, my sister, and my mother during high school. I used these patches to cover my embarassingly tattered wool blanket so i could take it to college.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

I learned to knit first as a very little girl, and then played on my grandma's treadle, no thread, when I was still little. And then took sewing in elementary school. On treadles. Fun. I think we sewed a gym bag or something little.