Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is there really such a thing as a round needle? >

Is there really such a thing as a round needle?

Is there really such a thing as a round needle?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Default Is there really such a thing as a round needle?

I got a tiny box of "stuff" with my new hand crank including two new looking needles, but the shafts are round! The machine came with an old needle with a flat side, but what uses a round shafted needle? And does anybody want them?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I got a tiny box of "stuff" with my new hand crank including two new looking needles, but the shafts are round! The machine came with an old needle with a flat side, but what uses a round shafted needle? And does anybody want them?
A lot of industrial needles are round shank. Is it much bigger than a standard one? What model's your hand crank? I think some Jones and Phoenix domestic machines use round shanks too.

If they don't look usable just throw them. I don't easily trust old needles anyway.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:51 PM

Alyce,

As Mike says lots of industrial machines use round shank needles. There are also a number of antique and vintage machines that use obsolete flat shank needles that you can substitute round shank industrials for. I have three machines I do this with.

If you don't want those needles, and if they are good and useable, don't toss 'em, find out what they are and I'm sure someone can use them. I'd be interested if they are some I could use.

Joe
Old 09-30-2013, 02:53 AM

My longarm takes a round needle.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:47 AM

My commercial embroidery machines use round needles.
Deb
Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Alyce,

As Mike says lots of industrial machines use round shank needles. There are also a number of antique and vintage machines that use obsolete flat shank needles that you can substitute round shank industrials for. I have three machines I do this with.

If you don't want those needles, and if they are good and useable, don't toss 'em, find out what they are and I'm sure someone can use them. I'd be interested if they are some I could use.

Joe
Joe, I am happy to send them to you if you will PM me a mailing address. There are two of them.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:03 AM
Banned

MOST older machines used round shank needles. Those are probable the original needles for that machine.

GLAD to hear they are not being tossed!

Steve
Old 09-30-2013, 05:35 PM

Girls and Boys, Joe and Alyce, didn't the Grade 7 health class tell you never to share needles?

;-)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM

My Gammill longarm uses round needles [industrial type]. They are a trick to get set just right. . .just a bit off center and you get wonky stitches.

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Old 10-01-2013, 05:47 AM

My Ziggy (Anker Phoenix 429) takes a round shank needle.

I wonder, do Pfaff 130s also take a round needle? Wondering, as Ziggy seems to be a 130 clone.

I am wondering, is there a specific advantage to the round shank, or was it simply the way they were made for obvious reasons, and then a flat sections was introduced to make it idiot-proof?

I am thinking the latter is more likely the case, but I am curious as to whether anyone else has an explanation.

On a separate note, regarding avatars, I am enjoying the various experimenting! Manic-mike, while your FW photos is cute, I am secretly (well, now not-so-secretly) hanging out for one of your Pink Atlas!!! Eh? I love Miriam's slanty Singer (and by the way Miriam, I also like the smaller text on your signature; I have a small computer screen, and the giant font took up much of it.) and I love Sunflowerzz flower patch. Anastasia's elephant -still- makes me giggle. Every time. You know, Anastasia, I often read your posts just so I can see the giggle-inducing jumping elephant? ;-)