Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is a "flimsy"??

Power Poster

What is a "flimsy"??

I've seen a couple of posts that mentioned "flimsy" or "flimsies"

When I use the word "flimsy" - it usually means light or thin fabric - but that doesn't seem to be the context in which the words have been used

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I agree with you. When someone says "flimsy" or "flimsies" I think of something that is about to fall apart. In the case of fabric I think that it's too thin to really work well or something that won't last long. Will be watching to see what other people say. Thanks for posting and asking the question. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

It's the top before it is sandwiched into a quilt

Blog Entries
    I have never heard of it being used that way, but now I have learned something new.
    Bonnie

Yes, I see that some folks are using the term now for an unquilted top. I still like to call a quilt top a quilt top.
    "He who masters the grey everyday is a hero."
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeachPalaceDesigns

Blog Entries
    I think it's a term that Aussies and/or Brits use for unquilted top. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. They also use the term "wadding" for "batting".

Blog Entries
    I'm aussie and have never heard of flimsy for a quilt top. We often do call the batting 'wadding' and we also call our pieced tops patchwork and then we do the quilting to join the three layers together

Blog Entries
    Learned something new today! Thanks for the definition :-)
    Helen T.

Blog Entries
    what? another new word!! that is like spiders, meaning leaders of fabric scraps going under the needle before your fabric. i'm too old for any more new words. it's hard enough learning as it is.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    I think it's a geographic thing in the US. In some locations, they call an unquilted top a flimsy.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I've heard quilt tops referred to here as flimsies...but then I've not spent much time talking with anyone about quilting except here!

that's a new one on me.

I never heard the term "spiders". What an idiot I would be if it weren't for this board!!!!

Cool. I Never know what I'm going to learn here. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I think it's a term that Aussies and/or Brits use for unquilted top. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. They also use the term "wadding" for "batting".
    Flimsy stories maybe but flimsy tops? not here in Wales and I'm sure not elsewhere here in UK. Patchwork tops here and Batting is wadding and it's a quilt when three layers are quilted! Wonder where flimsy comes from.

Blog Entries
    I'm an Aussie and I have never heard anyone call it that. We call it a quilt top. Must admit we say wadding but also say batting.

Blog Entries
    I've always used it to refer to fabric that's thin and loosely woven, not suitable for quilts. I've never heard of the quilt top being called flimsy.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

This is just to wild! My grandmother used to call her nightgown a flimsy!

instead of just scraps-or spiders-now I use leaders/enders and have a whole basketful of twoseys now to be joined into fourseys for a scrap quilt down the road.....thanks to quiltsville.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Never heard the term used for a quilt top before.

The opposite of sturdy?
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    what? another new word!! that is like spiders, meaning leaders of fabric scraps going under the needle before your fabric. i'm too old for any more new words. it's hard enough learning as it is.
    I call those a "thingee" like you too old for new words. made my own..............LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I've seen a couple of posts that mentioned "flimsy" or "flimsies"

When I use the word "flimsy" - it usually means light or thin fabric - but that doesn't seem to be the context in which the words have been used
    For me a "flimsy" is most any excuse I can come up with for sewing on a quilt rather than doing housework, errands or anything else I 'should' be doing instead. LOL
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Quote Originally Posted by ghquilter53 View Post
    I never heard the term "spiders". What an idiot I would be if it weren't for this board!!!!
    I had never heard "spiders" either. This is what I love about this grp. though. We have members from all around the world with different language & ideas but we have the common bond of quilting. I find this very exciting.

Plus, somebody said she's too old to learn new words? We're never too old to learn. Even sm. things. That's what makes life exciting.

That could be, but in what geographic area? Quick, someone from that area confess. froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I think it's a geographic thing in the US. In some locations, they call an unquilted top a flimsy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast