Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
??What is a good Iron for Quilting?? Please Help >

??What is a good Iron for Quilting?? Please Help

??What is a good Iron for Quilting?? Please Help

Old 11-26-2011, 06:19 AM

I recently bought a Sunbeam Turbo Steam Master Professional iron at WalMart. The UPC Code on it is #2704571627. My friend had bought one and loved it and so I bought one and it is the best iron I have ever had. It has tiney rounf holes inthe bottom so the don't"catch" pn the seams like my previous iron did. And it is heavier than my old iron. It also had a stainless steel soleplate so it glides very nice over the fabric. I knew the UPC Code because I saved the box because I like the iron so much that I would like to buy this iron for whenever I buy future presents for people (Bridal showers, Graduations, etc.). This iron only cost $27.88 at my local WalMart. The price could differ a little at different WalMarts. I don't think I will ever buy any different iron after having this one.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:30 AM

Thank you so much Quilting friends...this has been a good topic to see and read all the information on Irons..Thank you again for I will not be buying the Rowenta family...its sad to see the high price iron's dont really hold up to the price they want...but I am like you all...wanting a iron that stays hot..and I did not think about having the iron stay on or off..never really thought much about it till now..staying on and ready is better...have a good day my friends and stay safe...Hugs from Texas
Old 11-26-2011, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CorgiNole View Post
I love my Dry Iron from Vermont Country Store - http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...Dry_Iron/42277

For steam, I keep a spray bottle in my work space and spritz the fabric. No more worries about steam burns, and the solid plate means no more funny indentions on the fabric.

Cheers, K

Oh, I like this one. Thanks for the link
Old 11-26-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by EmbQuilt View Post
Love my oliso!!
Me too! I hvae the blue one.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:49 AM

I love my Oliso, that I have had for about 6 months now. It heats up quickly, turns it self off only after 30 minutes, makes great steam, and once you get used to not setting it up right, is so easy to use.....have had cheap all my life....
now figured I was worth a good iron....would buy again if needed. I got mine on ebay, new, after waiting out several for under a $100 delivered....
Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 AM

My everyday iron (purchased at wally world on sale) and a mini Clover for points and tight areas. I don't use the steam feature at all, just have a sprayer handy. I also have an old mangle or ironer (they are called both) to iron material before it is cut up. Since I also hand dye material, it comes in very handy then as well.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:00 PM

I wouldn't shop by brand; I've been down that road. Shop for the features you want. I prefer a lighter weight one so my arm doesn't wear out. I also don't like the dial under the handle; makes it very inconvenient for turning on and off. And I iron dry, not steam. I don't like lots of holes in the plate because they catch on seams. The auto off is a nuisance, but no way around that. Happy shopping!
Old 11-26-2011, 07:13 PM

I love my Oliso
Old 11-26-2011, 07:20 PM

I had the Sunbeam lavendar one and loved it. The pink one is weird....maybe it is just this iron. The thermostat is crazy.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:15 PM

I have had leaking issues with the Rowenta, but I love how it moves so easily over the fabric. I also have one of the non-steam irons from the Vermont Country Store that I use just for fusing. It's hot, stays on, and doesn't leave hole marks when you fuse, but I find it grabs when you iron with it. The latest one I have is a Reliable. It is made in Canada, glides nicely, gets pretty hot, and can be made to disable the auto-shut off feature. What is really neat is that it has separate heating elements for the iron and the steam, so you can have steam at lower temps.