Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what happened to tacking. >

what happened to tacking.

what happened to tacking.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:16 AM

I only tie for reasons said. I don't want to hand quilt, can't afford to pay for it, and if I had a long arm (no room) nor am I talented enough to do it.
The fact is I like putting the pieces together. I am horrible at picking the colors. I find it funny why I even try to quilt when I lack so many of the qualities of a real quilter. I do love the blog. I can't write to say my opinions half the time.
DJC
Old 05-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Are you referring to "tying" a quilt with yarn or floss? I did those for years. They are great. Except, I am trying to give my projects a more artistic flair. Since I don't use regular block anymore, I want my designs to stand out. I couldn't imagine "tying" a Bargello.
I made a Bargello and I tied it. I had embroidery threads for each color I tied in and you couldn't tell straight off because the colors blend in so well. It sure did take a lot of time to tie but I got it done. I made a French Braid quilt and I tied that one too. Took the longest time because of the many colors and embroidery threads to match. Just put your favorite movie in the machine and enjoy the ties.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 AM

I still tie some quilts. I don't think all have to be quilted...I just love playing with my "toys" (TL18LS & Qbot)... I recently tied a doubleknit top & think it's perfectly acceptable, especially with the battings we have today...you can tie off 4 to 8", depending on the batting.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 AM

i tack or tie all my quilts
Old 05-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

It's entirely personal preference. I helped my guild tie a quilt once, and I did not enjoy the experience (it was hard on my back and fingers). I do enjoy quilting them, both on the DSM and on the lonagrm, and I prefer that look. I don't know of anyone who thinks that all quilts have to be quilted. (Although many shows will not accept tied quilts.) We see a number of quilts on the board that have been tied. Do what you like.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
It's entirely personal preference. I helped my guild tie a quilt once, and I did not enjoy the experience (it was hard on my back and fingers). I do enjoy quilting them, both on the DSM and on the lonagrm, and I prefer that look. I don't know of anyone who thinks that all quilts have to be quilted. (Although many shows will not accept tied quilts.) We see a number of quilts on the board that have been tied. Do what you like.
Did you have to stand to do it????? I can pop it in my QVC frame and do a large area quickly, all within reach while sitting.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:34 AM

My granny usually tied off her quilts, and if I am making a plan 4 square or the like, something really simple and "blocky" I will tie it off, but for the more complicated patterns I hand quilt mine.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:51 AM

On a scrappy quilt I made for a couch throw I used a decoritve stitch on my machine at the intersections it looks nice & hold the quilt together. I do not like tied quilts.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:01 AM

I tie (or tack) most of mine.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Did tie my second quilt but frequent washing, as it was for young son and they seemed to come out. Prefer to quilt.