Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what happened to tacking. >

what happened to tacking.

what happened to tacking.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:51 PM

I do both. It depends on the quilt and where it is going.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:51 PM

I have found tied quilts with yarn don't hold up as well as using a double strand of crochet thread. You can also tack using a simple stitch on your machine. I did one last week using a small flower stitch on my machine. I prefer to FMQ and have never been able to afford to have someone else do it.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Camping Betty
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Many quilts today are still tacked (tied). I participate in an annual quilt project for charity and all the quilts are turned & tied. Just personal preference on how you finish your quilt, just use appropriate batting for the technique you choose and you're all set!
how close do you put the ties? we have to make over a hundred lap robes for a nursing home project
Our group makes nothing but donation quilts and we are required by somebody(?) to tie every 6".
Old 05-01-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Are you referring to "tying" a quilt with yarn or floss? I did those for years. They are great. Except, I am trying to give my projects a more artistic flair. Since I don't use regular block anymore, I want my designs to stand out. I couldn't imagine "tying" a Bargello.
I Would NEVER tie a bargello they are just to beautiful to tie. LOL
Old 05-01-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by betbet
at one time most people tacked quilts abd now it seems that everyone thinks a quilt has to be quilted. when making an everyday quilt tqcking is completely acceptable. i can not take the time or money it takes to send each quilt to the quilters. please give me your thoughts on this subject. betbet
Hurrah for tacking quilts! It is fast, easy and durable.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 PM

How you choose to finish your quilts is up to you. I know what you mean about the recent thougts on pattern quilting. When I started taking notice of what was happening in the quilting community it was said tacking was only acceptable for charity quilts. Like everything in life this is a phase or trend. I tack all my quilts. It's my choice. There is not right or wrong in how to finish your quilts. Although rare, there are antique quilts in museums that have been tacked.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:17 PM

My "first" quilt started out as 2 sheets (queen size) and a very thick poly batting. I didn't know any better! So I pillowcased the sheets with the backing inside and started quilting on my domestic machine. That didn't last very long before I couldn't imagine shoving that bundle thru the machine! So first I split the quilt vertically so I had 2 quilts about 45" x 90". Then I split the batting thickness so it was more like 1" thick instead of 2". I pushed one of the halves thru the machine and did quilt it about 4" apart in squares following the plaid lines on the top. The other half I decided to tie, but I didn't like to see the ties on the top. So I tied it with the loose strands on the bottom. Had nightmares of spiders crawling over me until I cut off all the long ties!!! My husband and I are very happy each having our "own" quilt without having to wrestle for our own share! They look like one whole quilt when on the bed. We have split a down comforter vertically, too, and I made matching duvets for our winter "quilt". I can creep my cold feet under the edge of his down comforter to warm up and can stick any too warm body part out to cool off! No wrestling matches for covers! Do what works!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 AM

I have alway heard that a piece that is tied is called a comforter, not a quilt. I slept under both and liked them and stayed warm. Jan
Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 PM

We all love hand quilted quilts. As arthritis rears his ugly head the tying becomes the choice. I still do many and tye them Some do call for doing by hand. In our sewing group we help one another by hand quilt. The quilt owner brings Batting, thread,prepared lining and tells us how she wants it done. We take turns doing our ownbut the rest of the time we do tacked quilts for fire victiums.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by donnalynett
Originally Posted by Camping Betty
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Many quilts today are still tacked (tied). I participate in an annual quilt project for charity and all the quilts are turned & tied. Just personal preference on how you finish your quilt, just use appropriate batting for the technique you choose and you're all set!
how close do you put the ties? we have to make over a hundred lap robes for a nursing home project
Our group makes nothing but donation quilts and we are required by somebody(?) to tie every 6".
what do you put into your donation quits ? top and flannel back or do you put batting into them?