Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier? >

What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier?

What have you added to your sewing room to make your body happier?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 AM

I AM in the process of making a quilt board. I have curtain rod up. I have 2 insulation boards glued together in
shed to set for 24 Hrs. Next I will make a cover out of a heavy pink fannel. Then I can put pins and quilt blocks
on it and arrange them. I can't wait till it finished.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
a stability ball chair!
Just saw this stability chair, how do you like it.
Wha type of holder do you use for the ball? At my grandson class for LD kids it could be a great thing.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Shankquilt View Post
I splurged on the Accuquilt Studio. That has really eliminated a lot of cutting time for me.
shankquilt I have looked at these Accuquilt on line. Do you love it?
Old 11-18-2011, 09:43 AM

I have four BIG tables in my sewing room (along with the usual shelves and cabinets), which I share with another family (it's really their "crafts" room, but also is usedby their quiet college age boy to have friends over and includes a ping pong table). When I'm using it for sewing (it's usual use) the ping pong table is folded up and my tables are unfolded. I have a 10x6' or 12x5' table when they are pushed together. Yes, the Joann's fold down tables (they are "down" on Saturday nights). I heard they weren't good because the legs came loose out of their "holder" square place, so I put a small square of industrial velcro to hold it in place. No problem. I love them! They are my cutting table, my lay-out-for sandwich making table, my sewing table.... whatever I need. I just quilted a large queen with my Janome 6600 and rearranged the tables so I could support it beside/behind me and in front/ahead of me as I quilt it's 8 foot length. I move those babies around as needed. No more crawling around on the floor to work putting together a sandwich!

They also are higher than the usual table and, by adjusting my chair (I like a low chair/high table) I get exactly what I need for my back, but still reasonable when standing over them putting pieces together.

My other wonderful "thing" is the discovery that our stairwell, which has hand rails on both sides, makes a wonderful workout gym!!! I do leg stretches by putting one leg up 3 or 4 steps and, holding the rails, lean in until my chest touches my upper leg and round forward and upward. Also "run" and and down the stairs for "quilting breaks". Also grab the rails and let my body go down toward the stairs as much as I can to work those upper back muscles (oooh it feelso good). I've been in re-hab for not being able to turn my head because of such tight upper back and neck muscles and found getting a massage at least every 2 weeks made a difference (she helped me with the exercises), but now I only go about once a month. I also do squats to get pins off the floor... they take a lot of trying to get to do them, but if you keep trying you'll find that it is possible. We quilters need to have a routine to counteract the forward slumping, non body-active work we do!

This is a good thread. I'm learning a lot here!

Last edited by Sierra; 11-18-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:54 AM

Mine is a little different, but my addition is an Excel spreadsheet (in a binder, in alphabetical order) of EVERYthing in my sewing room; the item, the location (which shelf/drawer on which wall), the description, the intended use for and etc. This way I don't spend extra time rummaging through everything to find what I need. ALL totes/drawers are marked for easier visual aid using Microsoft Word for printing out, in lieu of a permanent marker. After I removed everything from the room to throughly clean it and started putting things back, I wrote everything down and then went to the computer to sort it all out. Took some time, but well worth it. Haven't done this to the fabrics, tho, as they are in another room awaiting to be wrapped on boards.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
Chocolate!!!
A woman after my own heart!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 PM

A new custom made top on an old cabinet that I loved. The top is longer and has rounded corners so that they do not catch on the quilt.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post
Does the TENS unit work well for your back pain? I would need something like that for my neck shoulder. That's where I get most of my discomfort while sewing for more than an hour.

I recently treated myself to a better chair with a good lumbar support and my sewing area is set up in almost a square so all I have to do is "wheel" myself around to whatever I need (sewing machine on one side - next ironing table - behind serger - other side work table). I have just enough space to walk out of that work area but it works for me. My cutting table (with my bar stool) and fabric are in the other bedroom. The bar stool has really helped to relieve my back pain when I have a lot to cut. I cut the long cuts standing up, then do the sub-cuts sitting down.....HUGE difference in how my back feels.
You have to be very careful using a TENS unit around your neck and head. There's warnings on the unit's instructions, so be very careful! If your doctor prescribes it, Medicare will pay for it. (If you're that age, that is.)
Just a FYI.
Ellie
Old 11-18-2011, 10:43 PM

Better lighting makes a big difference on my way of positioning to see what I need to. Tape top lamps with swing arms etc
Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 PM

My physical therapist shared with me that when sitting at your sewing machine, your elbows should be at a 90 degree angle to the sewing surface on your machine. Not to the table surface your machine is setting on, where the needle actually goes down into the bobbin case!
Also pot a small board, or whatever you can make work, under the back side of your machine to tilt it forward. On most models this will make it easier to see the needle without being humped over.

I did both, it has helped me!