Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is an Heirloom Quilt? >

What is an Heirloom Quilt?

What is an Heirloom Quilt?

Old 12-12-2017, 07:59 AM

My dictionary defines "Heirloom" as, #1 A valued possession passed down in a family through succeeding generations. #2 (law) An article of personal property included in an inherited estate.

I had a quilt made by my grandmother and gifted to my mother, then gifted to me. I then gifted it to my daughter who is childless, and asked that it one day be gifted to my granddaughter, (her niece) I'm fairly certain that will happen, and I do consider this an Heirloom Quilt, even though my grandmother made many quilts for others that were not passed to the next generation and I personally would not consider them Heirloom Quilts. Perhaps the recipients of those quilts do.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:45 AM

Per Merriam-Webster dictionary:

[h=2]Definition of heirloom[/h]: a piece of property (such as a deed or charter) that descends to the heir as an inseparable part of an inheritance of real property
2: something of special value handed down from one generation to another
  • The pin she's wearing is a family heirloom.

From this definition, I derive (parenthetically) that an heirloom--any type of heirloom :
-is a piece of real property (as opposed to an intangible thing)
-has been handed down from one generation to the next (at least once)
-has special value (which may be monetary, sentimental, historical, cultural, or a combination thereof)

I agree with ghostrider; no one can make a new heirloom quilt because, by definition, an heirloom has been handed down, not simply intended to be handed down. If I make a new quilt to be given to, say, my daughter as a wedding present, it's a wedding present, but it wouldn't be an heirloom because it hadn't been a part of my generation for longer than it took me to make it. (Of course, at the rate I go, that could, obstensibly, take 20 years, so.... LOL) Not until my daughter hands it down to her child, or niece, or whomever is a younger generation, would it be an heirloom.

I don't see that amount of use, quality of workmanship, or condition have anything to "heirloomnicity". (I like that word. :O )

Old 12-12-2017, 10:24 AM

I guess that means we can’t say we are making an heirloom quilt—rather that we are putting special work and effort into it hoping that someday it will become an heirloom quilt.