Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I am doing w/leftover scraps of batting >

What I am doing w/leftover scraps of batting

What I am doing w/leftover scraps of batting

Old 02-23-2014, 09:46 AM

I have been making these:
http://latelyreconstructed.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/reusable-fleece-swiffer-duster-tutorial/

They use up pieces of batting that are too small to piece into a backing. They can be washed and become a bit puffier as they get washed. Sometimes I spray endust on them as our dust is SO fine! It likes to be pushed around and not picked up! (price we pay for our lovely winters, I guess!)
Old 02-23-2014, 02:28 PM
Suz

If your scraps are large enough to butt together, use light weight fusible interfacing rather than stitching. (You will need a steam iron and a pressing cloth.) You can spend a lot of money purchasing a small package of the same thing. But you can also buy it as yardage the cut your own strips. Our LQS sells this interfacing for $1/yard and it is either 60 of 72" wide. Just ask for it.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:26 AM

I use them for sandwiches for fmq to practice and warm up before tackling the actual quilt!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by petpainter View Post
I use them for sandwiches for fmq to practice and warm up before tackling the actual quilt!
Yes, I use them to practice too and check tension too!
Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 AM

Small pieces are great for potholders, mug rugs, coin purses, etc. and the smaller pieces can be used in pillows, sachets, and I make flat dog toys that look like a gingerbread man with denim on both sides and a piece of batting in the middle and then sew close togehter echo style from the middle to the outside edge so they are almost impossible to tear up.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 AM

If they aren't too narrow, I zigzag them together and use them as one layer in potholders.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:48 AM

great use of the remains
Old 02-24-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
I have been making these:
http://latelyreconstructed.wordpress.com/2011/07/01/reusable-fleece-swiffer-duster-tutorial/

They use up pieces of batting that are too small to piece into a backing. They can be washed and become a bit puffier as they get washed. Sometimes I spray endust on them as our dust is SO fine! It likes to be pushed around and not picked up! (price we pay for our lovely winters, I guess!)
great link,thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I tossed and scattered the scraps onto my cutting mat, laid a ruler atop, and cut those scraps into bits which I then used to fill the pillow. Worked great!
You don't need a ruler! When I debone a shirt, I lay the remains on my mat in a shallow pile, and go to it with the rotary cutter. Anything more than an inch or two gets one more slice. These pieces all go into cat pillows.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 AM

The really small scraps make great erasers for my dry erase marker board. When they are dirty just throw them away.