Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I figured out last Christmas... >

What I figured out last Christmas...

What I figured out last Christmas...

Old 08-12-2010, 12:31 AM

I didn't take it negatively cause I think most of us have had the "letdown" of making a quilt and not getting the reaction we expected. Personally, I like a lot of encouragement when I make a quilt for someone. It's heartbreaking to find out that the dog crate was lined with a quilt you made for a gkid. Been there, done that, not going back. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Face it people - there are quilters, and there are people who love quilts, but don't make them.............then there is everyone else - people that do not have a single clue about what goes into the making a quilt -oh, it's not just sewing some fabric together, it is the deciding, the planning, the feeling of the fabric, the pride we feel as everything comes together; so many steps as we beam that it is completely finished, maybe labeled, and perhaps a picture is taken of it - and then - the recipiant, with just their lack of enthusiasm, crushes us like a bug on the sidewalk. I have told this before, but a new neighbor asked me to make a quilt for her, I did, no pay, just to be neighborly, and when I saw it shortly after..YIKES - it was on her bed - IT HAD BEEN WASHED AND DRIED WITH TOWELS!!!!!I am still CRUSHED!!!
are you serious? or pulling my leg? I thought quilts where made to be used on beds, where they nwill get dirty and need laundering. Am I looking at this wrong?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:21 AM

I like your idea and will remember it for future use. There is nothing more disappointing then to invest time, love and money in a project and then it isn't appreciated. Many times I make something I like for someone else and never get around to making one for myself -- when it's not appreciated I wish I would have made it for ME.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by nana pat
Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Face it people - there are quilters, and there are people who love quilts, but don't make them.............then there is everyone else - people that do not have a single clue about what goes into the making a quilt -oh, it's not just sewing some fabric together, it is the deciding, the planning, the feeling of the fabric, the pride we feel as everything comes together; so many steps as we beam that it is completely finished, maybe labeled, and perhaps a picture is taken of it - and then - the recipiant, with just their lack of enthusiasm, crushes us like a bug on the sidewalk. I have told this before, but a new neighbor asked me to make a quilt for her, I did, no pay, just to be neighborly, and when I saw it shortly after..YIKES - it was on her bed - IT HAD BEEN WASHED AND DRIED WITH TOWELS!!!!!I am still CRUSHED!!!
I want my quilts to be used but appreciated because generally when I am making a quilt I have a person in mind for it. My one daughter put my grand babies quilts away so they wouldn't get dirty and ruined, I made them to be used and be close to the baby and she used a quilt a neighbor had made . Mine were too pretty. So I now make my baby quilts to look useable, more comfy less pretty.

are you serious? or pulling my leg? I thought quilts where made to be used on beds, where they nwill get dirty and need laundering. Am I looking at this wrong?
Old 08-12-2010, 05:36 AM

i would be so happy and appreciate if you made me a hankie..or what ever..just knowing that you thought of me would make me feel warm all over.....i would treasure it.....
Old 08-12-2010, 05:36 AM

Well I have read almost all the way through this thread and have to add my part. One year for Mother's Day I made my mother and MIL both quillows to fit each bed, one king and the other full. I machine emb. LARGE roses in their favorite colors on the pockets. I still have my mothers after her passing, and when my MIL passed, ask MBIL who was taking care of things if he knew where hers might be, his wife sewed and quilted so he knew the value of quilting. He had no idea. Our daughter is currently living the MIL's house in another town We were visiting and DD's dog was a puppy at the time and had been in one of the storage buildings dragging things out to chew on and play with. Well guess what one of the things happened to be - the pocket section of the quillow I had made several years before. The pocket had been CUT off and crudely I might add, where the rest of the quillow was who knows. When I found this part I took it in the house and ask my daughter about it, (she appreciates quilts) and she had no idea. My DH knew I had been checking on this quillow, and saw what it was. I don't know who was the angriest, of the three of us. For a more positive note, I had a dear widower friend who had once been a close neighbor. Bill was a wood carver and made things by hand. He was very ill with cancer. I don't know what possessed me but I knew I just had to make Bill a quilt. I got busy and worked steady to make a log cabin in less than two weeks. When I took the quilt to him, his son was there and commented and ask if this was a log cabin. I was impressed. Bill passed away 5 days later. His DIL told me he loved that quilt, and had used it every day since I gave it to him. The morning he passed he was cold and was wrapped up in the quilt. She had washed it afterwards and wanted to know if I wanted it back, if not they would like to keep it. I was so pleased to know that my work and love I had put into the quilt was really appreciated by the recipient and his family.
There will always be those who really appreciate hand made gifts and know the time and love put into them, then there will be others who could care less.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 AM

I've already posted, but on another note, I made a nap size quilt for our neighbor in Florida, we are snow birds, who was staying in FL for the summer to receive cancer treatment. His wife cried when we gave it to Bill. Bill and my DH talk often and Bill has said that he uses it every day when he takes a nap.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 AM

Heather that was a smart move you did. I made a quilt for a friend. I did a lot of work which included hand applique. I got a lot of compliments from other people. Vic (my husband) and I drove 4 hours across the state to give it to her and just before we left I gave her the package. She wasn't even going to open it!!!!! I said, " aren't you going to take it out of the bag??" She said "I know it is my quilt." !!!! Can you believe it!!! Finally she opened it up and was very nonplus!! I cried on the way home. Now it is a story that I tell but I will NEVER do it again!!

You were smart!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:41 AM

So true!!Thanks for sharing the "up" side of this thing!!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 AM

HeatherQuilts, don't apologize for telling the truth. The people who "get to me" are the ones who act like I handmade something for them so I could SAVE MONEY by not BUYING a gift. People who don't buy fabric, or haven't bought any in this decade, have no idea what it costs.