Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I figured out last Christmas... >

What I figured out last Christmas...

What I figured out last Christmas...

Old 08-12-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by sewalot
I have a little different spin on your story with one that happened to me. I had a total stranger see a quilt that I made and went crazy over the quilt. She just had to have it.She contacted me several times and made a point fo how poor she was. She could never afford such a beautiful piece of art work. she actually cried tears. SO.....I sold her the quilt at a rediculous price to find out that she turned around and sold it for a fortune!!! Never again will that happen!!!!I don't care how many tears they cry!!! Susie Sew-a-lot
This made my jaw drop ... this has left me speechless ...
Old 08-12-2010, 10:56 AM

I consider handmade gifts like money ... once I give it ... I don't know what's done with it and I don't expect it back ... my fun was making it ... and it done my heart good with it ...

I used to stress and wonder if folks used what I made ... then I realized ... some folks are so fortunate and have so much stuff that they may not see the 'value' of a quilt like those who make them do ...

To each his own ... cheer up ... if you want someone who will appreciate your quilts ... I'm your woman :D :D
Old 08-12-2010, 11:59 AM

I posted before but I wanted to add that I think it is a good idea to realize that when we make something for someone, we need to let it go and let them treat/mistreat it however they chose, and we can't tell them how to use it or take care of it, or anything, because it belongs to them now and it isn't ours anymore. For me, I felt so bad at the reactions I got when I gave my baby quilts away, but now I know that everyone can't react as I think they should, they are who they are, and that is their problem not mine. I just know that if I chose to give something away that I made ( and I still do) I can't be expecting them to react how I want them to. That's how I feel anyway.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Alondra
You are so right! This needed to be said. No offense intended, but there are just some folks who don't appreciate the effort and love that go into making a homemade gift, especially a quilt. They should go out to Anna's and buy themselves a quilt from China.
I bought a quilt on ebay before I started quilting. The lady who sold it to me said it was American hand quilted, but I thougt it looked like made in China. I asked a friend who used to own a quilt store. She looked at the stiches and said "little children have made that" I don't recommend anyone buy a cheap quilt. it may have been made by little children.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:43 PM

heather,
I think that's a briliant idea. My guess we've all be disappointed at times, because people just didn't realize all the work and love we put into making something for them that was, in our opinion, perfect for them.
peel
Old 08-12-2010, 02:28 PM

I really am new to quilting, but now that I have started I wanted to make my mom a quilt and oh my gosh the things she said to me about quilting hurt me so bad that I will never ever make her a quilt I cryed for a long time. My parents are divorced and have been since I was 6 years old. I will make my dad a quilt as he loves things with meaning and sentimental value.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by garysgal
I posted before but I wanted to add that I think it is a good idea to realize that when we make something for someone, we need to let it go and let them treat/mistreat it however they chose, and we can't tell them how to use it or take care of it, or anything, because it belongs to them now and it isn't ours anymore. For me, I felt so bad at the reactions I got when I gave my baby quilts away, but now I know that everyone can't react as I think they should, they are who they are, and that is their problem not mine. I just know that if I chose to give something away that I made ( and I still do) I can't be expecting them to react how I want them to. That's how I feel anyway.
I totally agree. I made the fleece blankets, and was happy to give them as gifts, even if the recipient didn't have the reaction I wanted them to have. I am, however, glad that I did not pour my time, heart, blood sweat and tears into something that would not be appreciated. If those fleece blankets get used, great! If not, that's fine too! If they become dog or cat beds, at least they are keeping someone warm! I am glad that I made all the blankets and gave them as gifts. I took enjoyment from making them. But it also taught me a valuable lesson about how some people "get" quilts and some just don't. I figure I just saved myself some heartache. Not to mention money and time. It won't stop me from quilting, but I know who I want to make big quilts for, and who I would make smaller projects for. :D
That, and I would love to be able to just "let it go" but I know that it would really bother me.... so that's my reality! :lol: :lol:

Thanks so much everyone for all of your responses!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:26 PM

Well I am in the - love making the quilts camp, give them away and let them go.

I am hurt at times when these lovingly made quilts are not used or treated how I feel they should be but I continually tell myself that we are each individuals and I shouldn't judge. Likewise, once bitten twice shy and I would not put the same effort into anything else I was to make for them, though as I love making these things so much I probably would still make them something else when the urge hit me.

Guess I am just a glutton for punishment :-)

Maybe1day
Old 08-12-2010, 04:51 PM

I have given quilts to a few close family members and they really appreciated them. Would I just make one for a friend-NO!! I have heard from other quilters these same stories and they make quilts but keep them all!! It is sad in a way as there is so much love in a quilt!!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Dee

Been there -done that. You said it all and its a very smart way to look at it. You feel so hurt when you take time to make a gift homemade for someone and its -oh ya - thanks.