Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I figured out last Christmas... >

What I figured out last Christmas...

What I figured out last Christmas...

Old 08-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

That is some great info. You are so right to start out with something not as creative and time consuming as a test. Good for you.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
You are so right. A very dear friend of mine was in the hospital so I took her one of my prettiest lap quilts. She seemed pleased and thanked me. Later when I visited her at home she was wrapped up in a rather dingy cheap blanket. I asked why she wasn't using the quilt and she said. That thing was too heavy for me to carry out of the hospital so I gave it to one of the nurses who helped me.
I have never made another thing for her. She is still my dear friend but she just didn't get it. She later asked me where I had purchased it,(it had my label on it). I told her I had made it from scratch. She asked if I would make one for her to give to her husbands nurse. I explained they take me 6-8 weeks to make and I generally get $300.00 for that size. WHAAAT? Yes mam. She thought I had just picked it up somewhere on the way to the hospital because "it didn't look homemade"....Oh well, live and learn!
Uuummm....What the heck is 'homemade' supposed to look like? :P
Old 08-22-2010, 02:00 PM

I figured the same thing our some time ago.
Of late, I make receiving blankets for new babies. Two pieces of flannel, wrong sides together, lap the back over the front and use one of those fancy stitches on your machine that you rarely get to use and stitch down the hem. i did that a few times and then realized my Bernina could put a very simple name on it! They are well received, particularly by children going to daycare -- their name is on it. It is also my 'quilt test' or for a 'second tier' (not a blood relative) friend, neighbor or grandchild of friends. It does take time, but not too much time and is very personal. I have also made larger ones with names for friends undergoing chemo -- fits in a bag, homey and warm and again, personal.
Mary
Old 08-23-2010, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by MarySews
I figured the same thing our some time ago.
Of late, I make receiving blankets for new babies. Two pieces of flannel, wrong sides together, lap the back over the front and use one of those fancy stitches on your machine that you rarely get to use and stitch down the hem. i did that a few times and then realized my Bernina could put a very simple name on it! They are well received, particularly by children going to daycare -- their name is on it. It is also my 'quilt test' or for a 'second tier' (not a blood relative) friend, neighbor or grandchild of friends. It does take time, but not too much time and is very personal. I have also made larger ones with names for friends undergoing chemo -- fits in a bag, homey and warm and again, personal.
Mary
What a neat idea for receiving blankets and light chemo blankets! Thank you for sharing!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:20 AM

I guess I'm very lucky because I've never had a negative reponse. Of course, I usually only give quilts to my family or close friends and they know the amount of work I put into them. The exception is baby quilts. Although I have had a couple of funny experiences with them. One woman I gave a baby quilt to loved it so much she wouldn't let the child use it. She bought a rack and displayed it in his bedroom - 15 years later it looks brand new is and still displayed. Another woman brought the quilt back to me six years later and asked if I could patch it up. Her child drags it with him everywhere he goes and it was torn and tattered. I think I like the fact that it was the kid's "blankey" rather than the display model better.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:01 AM

HI...DO YOU KNOW WHERE CALIFORNIA IS?? 40 MILES S OF PITTS....I GREW UP THERE....
Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by michellee
HI...DO YOU KNOW WHERE CALIFORNIA IS?? 40 MILES S OF PITTS....I GREW UP THERE....
WHERE in California?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:42 PM

ON PENNSYLVANIA AVE. OFF WOOD STREET...
THE UNIVERSITY WAS A TEACHERS COLLEGE WHEN I LIVED THERE.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by pgthom
Originally Posted by hobo2000
You are so right. A very dear friend of mine was in the hospital so I took her one of my prettiest lap quilts. She seemed pleased and thanked me. Later when I visited her at home she was wrapped up in a rather dingy cheap blanket. I asked why she wasn't using the quilt and she said. That thing was too heavy for me to carry out of the hospital so I gave it to one of the nurses who helped me.
I have never made another thing for her. She is still my dear friend but she just didn't get it. She later asked me where I had purchased it,(it had my label on it). I told her I had made it from scratch. She asked if I would make one for her to give to her husbands nurse. I explained they take me 6-8 weeks to make and I generally get $300.00 for that size. WHAAAT? Yes mam. She thought I had just picked it up somewhere on the way to the hospital because "it didn't look homemade"....Oh well, live and learn!
You have a kind and generous heart to still consider her a dear friend. Not sure I could do as well!
Ditto
Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 PM

Wow! Reading all these stories makes me so appreciative for my husbands family!!! They all love my quilts so much and my in-laws actually gave me a loan to go buy material! I don't understand how anyone could not love a handmade gift... especially a quilt that takes so much time and effort.