Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: What I figured out last Christmas...

Is the front one piece? It looks as if you sewed several pieces together.

Quote Originally Posted by hobo2000
    You are so right. A very dear friend of mine was in the hospital so I took her one of my prettiest lap quilts. She seemed pleased and thanked me. Later when I visited her at home she was wrapped up in a rather dingy cheap blanket. I asked why she wasn't using the quilt and she said. That thing was too heavy for me to carry out of the hospital so I gave it to one of the nurses who helped me.
    I have never made another thing for her. She is still my dear friend but she just didn't get it. She later asked me where I had purchased it,(it had my label on it). I told her I had made it from scratch. She asked if I would make one for her to give to her husbands nurse. I explained they take me 6-8 weeks to make and I generally get $300.00 for that size. WHAAAT? Yes mam. She thought I had just picked it up somewhere on the way to the hospital because "it didn't look homemade"....Oh well, live and learn!
    I have a "friend" who needed a baby gift for two days later and said she didn't want to spend much on the gift so would I make a blanket quilt for her instead of her going out to get something. I let her know that it wasn't possible to make my lovely quilts in two days and it would cost her MUCH, MUCH more than if she went out for something. She had no clue but has now. I won't hear her ask me again! They just don't "get it", do they???????? Sigh......laugh.............it isn't worth the effort of being hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherQuilts
    I have read a lot of posts about how certain people have NO IDEA and NO appreciation for the quilts that we make. I figured something out last Christmas, to save myself some heartache.
    I made 8 or 9 fleece blankets (I sewed the edges though, I didn't tie them) and gave them as gifts. I made one for my Step-dad, and he loved it, he was very appreciative. He is someone that will get a quilt from me some day, I know it will be worth the effort, and he will appreciate what I've made.
    I made one for my Dad and Step-Mom, and they did not have the same reaction. It was kind of like, "Oh...this will be nice to keep us warm in the car...." Totally didn't get that I took time to MAKE them something! :lol: Clearly NOT someone that I will make a quilt for. I love them dearly, of course, but I know they just wouldn't "get" how much work goes into a quilt.
    Anyways, I gave all the blankets out as gifts, and I know who will eventually get one of my quilts, based on how they reacted to the fleece blankets.... I'm glad I didn't take the time/money/effort to make a quilt for all these people!

Long story short!! :lol: :lol: (sorry I tend to ramble)
    If you aren't sure if a person will appreciate a quilt, maybe think of a smaller, not so time-intensive project to make them. Like a tote, or an easy blanket, or something along those lines. Then you will know who is "quilt-worthy" :D

(I meant nothing negative by this post, I don't mean to say that people aren't worth my time, obviously! But it has saved me some hurt feelings, just thought I would pass it along) :-D

Thanks for listening! You guys are the best!
    You are totally right. Some people don't realize the time and effort put in to a quilt. The one that appreciated the quilt I made for my 1st great- grandson, was his Dad. (my grandson-in-law) He kept saying it was so great and the personalized label I had on it was absolutely the best. It could be because his mother is also a quilter, but somehow I don't think so. He was completely sincere.

I like the way fleece is for binding. I used a fancy row of hearts stitch on a pink fleece and it was cute! But it took ages!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    , and when I saw it shortly after..YIKES - it was on her bed - IT HAD BEEN WASHED AND DRIED WITH TOWELS!!!!!I am still CRUSHED!!!
    At the risk of never getting a present from you, why were you crushed? I dont actually understand what happened.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltinNsmilin
    Several years ago my SIL's mother was quite ill. I made her a lap quilt.
    The 24 squares had all different machine embroidered 4 inch butterflies and the quilt was latticed, bordered & backed with a gorgeous butterfly fabric. Georgie, the Mom absolutely loved. My SIL called me after Georgie died to say she put the quilt in the coffin with her Mom. I have to say that totally freaked me out. Perhaps I should have seen it as a supreme compliment, but I thought it was weird. Why not keep it as a nice memory? Am I nuts?
    I think it was a supreme compliment, but I guess it depends on how you feel about death.

Banned
    You could try me out with anything-----promise to be appreciative, it's a v good idea.

Banned
    now that would have been my lateMIL she was completely without taste or gratefulness

Quote Originally Posted by Gilla
    Is the front one piece? It looks as if you sewed several pieces together.
    Nope, it's just one piece, it's just folded sitting on our chair in our living room.

Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
    , and when I saw it shortly after..YIKES - it was on her bed - IT HAD BEEN WASHED AND DRIED WITH TOWELS!!!!!I am still CRUSHED!!!
    At the risk of never getting a present from you, why were you crushed? I dont actually understand what happened.
    Washing a quilt with towels is going to really rough it up and wear it out. If it was a delicately appliqued quilt the towels probably did as much damage as a dozen washings.

Power Poster
    That is some great info. You are so right to start out with something not as creative and time consuming as a test. Good for you.

You are so right. A very dear friend of mine was in the hospital so I took her one of my prettiest lap quilts. She seemed pleased and thanked me. Later when I visited her at home she was wrapped up in a rather dingy cheap blanket. I asked why she wasn't using the quilt and she said. That thing was too heavy for me to carry out of the hospital so I gave it to one of the nurses who helped me.
    I have never made another thing for her. She is still my dear friend but she just didn't get it. She later asked me where I had purchased it,(it had my label on it). I told her I had made it from scratch. She asked if I would make one for her to give to her husbands nurse. I explained they take me 6-8 weeks to make and I generally get $300.00 for that size. WHAAAT? Yes mam. She thought I had just picked it up somewhere on the way to the hospital because "it didn't look homemade"....Oh well, live and learn!
    Uuummm....What the heck is 'homemade' supposed to look like? :P

I figured the same thing our some time ago.
    Of late, I make receiving blankets for new babies. Two pieces of flannel, wrong sides together, lap the back over the front and use one of those fancy stitches on your machine that you rarely get to use and stitch down the hem. i did that a few times and then realized my Bernina could put a very simple name on it! They are well received, particularly by children going to daycare -- their name is on it. It is also my 'quilt test' or for a 'second tier' (not a blood relative) friend, neighbor or grandchild of friends. It does take time, but not too much time and is very personal. I have also made larger ones with names for friends undergoing chemo -- fits in a bag, homey and warm and again, personal.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by MarySews
    I figured the same thing our some time ago.
    Of late, I make receiving blankets for new babies. Two pieces of flannel, wrong sides together, lap the back over the front and use one of those fancy stitches on your machine that you rarely get to use and stitch down the hem. i did that a few times and then realized my Bernina could put a very simple name on it! They are well received, particularly by children going to daycare -- their name is on it. It is also my 'quilt test' or for a 'second tier' (not a blood relative) friend, neighbor or grandchild of friends. It does take time, but not too much time and is very personal. I have also made larger ones with names for friends undergoing chemo -- fits in a bag, homey and warm and again, personal.
    Mary
    What a neat idea for receiving blankets and light chemo blankets! Thank you for sharing!

I guess I'm very lucky because I've never had a negative reponse. Of course, I usually only give quilts to my family or close friends and they know the amount of work I put into them. The exception is baby quilts. Although I have had a couple of funny experiences with them. One woman I gave a baby quilt to loved it so much she wouldn't let the child use it. She bought a rack and displayed it in his bedroom - 15 years later it looks brand new is and still displayed. Another woman brought the quilt back to me six years later and asked if I could patch it up. Her child drags it with him everywhere he goes and it was torn and tattered. I think I like the fact that it was the kid's "blankey" rather than the display model better.

HI...DO YOU KNOW WHERE CALIFORNIA IS?? 40 MILES S OF PITTS....I GREW UP THERE....

Quote Originally Posted by michellee
    HI...DO YOU KNOW WHERE CALIFORNIA IS?? 40 MILES S OF PITTS....I GREW UP THERE....
    WHERE in California?

ON PENNSYLVANIA AVE. OFF WOOD STREET...
    THE UNIVERSITY WAS A TEACHERS COLLEGE WHEN I LIVED THERE.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pgthom
    You have a kind and generous heart to still consider her a dear friend. Not sure I could do as well!
    Ditto

Wow! Reading all these stories makes me so appreciative for my husbands family!!! They all love my quilts so much and my in-laws actually gave me a loan to go buy material! I don't understand how anyone could not love a handmade gift... especially a quilt that takes so much time and effort.

I made a small 4 ring double ring quilt for my grandparents 70th anniversary this year. Small yes but do-able for me. Well my SIL finds a quilt she likes and my brothers asks me if I could make it. I looked over the picture. Drafted a lap quilt on graph paper. Then went to the computer and found the exact fabric and figured out how much it would cost. When I informed my bro that it would cost $50 (fabric was on sale at the time) plus I didn't have the money to do it for him. He said he did not need it at this time. You tell me. Was I just about used?? Glad I did have the money. They need to understand it is not cheap.K

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttyhurricane
    I made a small 4 ring double ring quilt for my grandparents 70th anniversary this year. Small yes but do-able for me. Well my SIL finds a quilt she likes and my brothers asks me if I could make it. I looked over the picture. Drafted a lap quilt on graph paper. Then went to the computer and found the exact fabric and figured out how much it would cost. When I informed my bro that it would cost $50 (fabric was on sale at the time) plus I didn't have the money to do it for him. He said he did not need it at this time. You tell me. Was I just about used?? Glad I did have the money. They need to understand it is not cheap.K
    Looks like you were about to be left holding and empty bag, (money bag)that is. Don't think he really had intentions of paying you for the work and finished product you were about to do. He wanted to give a free gift to grandparents.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttyhurricane
    Looks like you were about to be left holding and empty bag, (money bag)that is. Don't think he really had intentions of paying you for the work and finished product you were about to do. He wanted to give a free gift to grandparents.
    YA I know how that works I've repair a couple of quilts an didn't even get a thank you out of it so I don't think i'm up to do that again.lesson learned.

Years ago before I began quilting I made all my nieces raggedy ann dolls and little aprons with pockets filled with dressed clothespin dolls. One sister in law thought I made them from leftover bits, scraps and junk. Had the last laugh a few years ago when her daughter told me my hand made gifts inspried her to enter the field of art and crafting as a career. She doesn't sew but gilds items, creates unigue items, writes How to articles, knits, arranges photo shoots, etc.
    May in Jersey

Isn't this amazing how everyone has a story of an unappreciated quilt!!
    Here are a few of mine - made one for MIL's 50th anniv., she gave it to her daughter a few years later. Fortunately SIL LOVES quilts and cherishes them. FIL used to call them "rugs" as in, Are you still making the rugs? -- but he was a dear.
    OK, fast forward 25 years - made a DWR quilt for stepson and DIL for wedding. Sent to house after wedding, had to call to make sure they got it.
    Almost a YEAR later, here comes a preprinted "thank you" note, not even signed, no mention of the quilt, just a "thank you for the gift" sentiment. I believe the word "token" was used. Kind of like the queen acknowledging a present from a peasant.
    Been to their house since, no sign of quilt.
    FOrtunately other kids have been more appreciative of theirs, at least we got real thank you notes.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast