Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I figured out last Christmas... >

What I figured out last Christmas...

What I figured out last Christmas...

Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Bottom line, know the person you are giving the quilt to. If you know they like crafts and quilts, pretty good chance their going to like the quilt. If your not certain, ask them if they like quilts, that clears up everything.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Bev

quote> Several years ago my SIL's mother was quite ill. I made her a lap quilt.
The 24 squares had all different machine embroidered 4 inch butterflies and the quilt was latticed, bordered & backed with a gorgeous butterfly fabric. Georgie, the Mom absolutely loved. My
SIL called me after Georgie died to say she put the quilt in the coffin with her Mom. I have to say that totally freaked me out. Perhaps I should have seen it as a supreme compliment, but I thought it was weird. Why not keep it as a nice memory? Am I nuts?[/quote]

Don't worry, you're not nuts!
But the idea of burying the lady with her quilt reminds me that in ancient times people were buried with their favorite things. For a man it might have been a bow and arrow or shield, for a woman maybe a favorite cooking pot etc. Get the picture? Maybe somehow these relatives of yours were doing something similar. Not that they have copied the ancient people, but that maybe the quilt was a favorite article of the person who passed away. We have to remember the emotions that come into play when a loved one dies. Remember Jackie Kennedy slipping her ring on JFK's finger in his coffin? That was a loving gesture. I'll stop now before this gets too morbid. :lol: :roll:
Old 08-11-2010, 11:14 AM

My husband was in a rehab center after hip surgery and I brought him a quilt had just finnished to put on his bed and since I have to work every day I told him to wrap himself with my love when I wasn't there. He called me a few days later and said he had sold it for $75. After the extended silence on my end he said he was just joking, but his nurse really wanted it. yes after she put up with him for three weeks she did get the quilt and now she has my love too.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
You are so right. A very dear friend of mine was in the hospital so I took her one of my prettiest lap quilts. She seemed pleased and thanked me. Later when I visited her at home she was wrapped up in a rather dingy cheap blanket. I asked why she wasn't using the quilt and she said. That thing was too heavy for me to carry out of the hospital so I gave it to one of the nurses who helped me.
I have never made another thing for her. She is still my dear friend but she just didn't get it. She later asked me where I had purchased it,(it had my label on it). I told her I had made it from scratch. She asked if I would make one for her to give to her husbands nurse. I explained they take me 6-8 weeks to make and I generally get $300.00 for that size. WHAAAT? Yes mam. She thought I had just picked it up somewhere on the way to the hospital because "it didn't look homemade"....Oh well, live and learn!
ummm i am sitting here just speechless which pretty much never happens to me some people are just UN BE LI EV AB LE!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce
WOW!
I'll bet that nurse went home as happy as a clam.
I know I sure would have.
LOL that nurse probably giggled all the way home that day about what a silly lady that patient was i know i would have.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by mynani
I've also had this experience . Once when my DD laughed at the placemats I had machine embroidered with beautiful birds. Also when a couple of crocheted aphgans were used as dog beds. And she still asks me to do items for her.
this is the person who is too cheap to buy stuff for themselfs direct her to the local good will lol!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:29 PM

I Have had to learn not to put strings onto to quilts I make and give away. Once it leaves my possession I have no control over it. Now I am very choosy about who gets my work

Thanks for all the tips and pics from this board. This is my first post.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 PM

I sewed very intricate dresses for my first grand daughter. Some were even smocked. When they moved in with us a few months later I asked where the dresses were? "Oh, we didn't have room for them when we moved so we left them in apartment". I didn't make anymore. Later I made another grand child with different parents a quilt. It was the dogs when I went to visit. I don't do that anymore either. Since I have always made things they don't sew and don't value them. I also stopped altering clothes when I discovered they were buying things on markdown because I could alter them - never mind the size. I hate to alter and sure don't do it now.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Excellent Idea!!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:04 PM

I have a little different spin on your story with one that happened to me. I had a total stranger see a quilt that I made and went crazy over the quilt. She just had to have it.She contacted me several times and made a point fo how poor she was. She could never afford such a beautiful piece of art work. she actually cried tears. SO.....I sold her the quilt at a rediculous price to find out that she turned around and sold it for a fortune!!! Never again will that happen!!!!I don't care how many tears they cry!!! Susie Sew-a-lot