Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns >

What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns

What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns

Old 12-18-2011, 11:38 AM

I have the same view as you about paterns. Used patterns for years to make clothing etc. and that part wasn't fun. If measurements are given for simple things like purses, I like that. Directions definitely need to be more accurate so the user isn't guessing what is what.

Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
I guess I'm in the minority. I hate the tissue pattern paper. I sewed clothes for about 30 years and, because that was all we had, used the paper patterns. I feel much more free with just the suggested dimensions of pieces. Of course, I almost never make a pattern exactly as instructed. I make so many purses that the paper would slow me down. I do write instructions to myself in case I want to duplicate a bag. I do agree that most commercial patterns have poorly written instructions.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:13 PM

Most of us rotary cut and using a paper pattern would be more work. If you want to fussy cut any type of quilt block, you have to cut out a template. So don't beat yourself up about needing to do it for your purse or wallet. You may want it to exactly fit a pattern in the fabric and making a template is the only way to do it. However, if you just have a tiny print fabric, it's unnecessary. You would just cut away with the dimensions indicated.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 12-18-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:44 PM
kso

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Add to what you are saying the fact that the directions are often 'garbled.' It seems that since quilting and purse making designers don't know how to write directions! I often rewrite the instructions for myself.

ali
I do that, too.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:48 PM

They should call it instructions, not a pattern. I hate it too. Seems like you are paying a lot of money, and more everyday for these patterns not to get a pattern out of it.

Originally Posted by kso View Post
I come from a clothing construction background. Pattern pieces are always supplied in a pattern envelope. It appears that is not the case with the popular purse and wallet patterns that I have recently purchased. Designers just give you the dimensions of the various pieces that need to be cut. Some people may like that, but not me, so I have to take the time to draw the pattern pieces onto paper. Am I the only that is "quirky" that way?

I have a friend who makes pattern pieces for her paper pieced quilt projects. She hates taking a chunk of fabric and sewing it onto the paper and trimming it to size.

We all have our quirks.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

I agree that it is annoying to purchase a pattern only to find out that they do not have actual size patterns, especially those that say enlarge 200%. However, if I choose to make a tissue pattern piece, I would also use a thin fusible interfacing on the tissue piece so that it would last longer. I do this with certain doll patterns, like Raggedy Ann, when I know I will be making several, it's easier to cut it out and I know it will last much longer.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:23 PM

I agree. I just tried to make a bag recently and some of the instructions were out of order. At least, I had pattern pieces for the smaller parts, but the instructions were not all that clear.

It appears to me that a lot of patterns are not proofed before printing them (i.e. giving them to someone else, maybe even a novice, to try to make the pattern before printing and selling them).

Last edited by caspharm; 12-18-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:25 PM

OMG ! I was just complaining about this today...I bought a pattern to make a Kindle cover and I had to draft all the pieces...plus all the wording in the instructions was so tiny !!
Old 12-18-2011, 04:57 PM

I have had this problem, too. I need the paper pattern Looking forward to the pictures, Ube.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:50 PM

I've purchased many patterns from artists on Etsy and every one of them has patterns for the pieces. Take a look on Etsy under patterns.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:42 PM

Making a teddy bear from a commercial pattern with a tissue pattern included, but the instructions are very poor! I've been sewing for 60 years from patterns, but these directions are not in logical order or well explained! I had thought I would cut the pieces and let my 10 year old grand daughter put it together, but not with these directions!