Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I heard at JoAnn's store today >

What I heard at JoAnn's store today

What I heard at JoAnn's store today

Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

I work for Wal Mart and was in the fabric department before they took it out. I haven't heard that rumor and I sure hope not. I don't shop at JoAnn's. Their prices have really jumped up in my opinion.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 AM

It's probably a wild rumor but it wouldn't help me even if it were true as both JoAnns and Wal-Mart in my area are not worth driving to. Poor selection and the employees are just warm bodies. I order on line mostly and shop out of town if we are going in that direction for our work.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 AM

I think this could happen. Our walmart store has a beauty salon in it. It is not connected with walmart. I have asked the girls and then my daughter in law work there and she said its true. Also our walmart has a hearing aid center and a eye glass center which have there own area and they also are not connected with walmart either. The area is leased. So if walmart lets Joann fabric have their fabric area our prices will probably being going up a lot. I hope this isn't true but it won't surprise me. I don't shop walmart as much any more. There prices are just about as high as everyone else and they move things around in the grocery area to much for me. I want to go in and get what I want and leave. Not search for things.

Last edited by grandmahoney; 02-06-2013 at 04:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 AM

My guess is that these would be put into the WalMart that do not have a JoAnns store in their city. I know I would like to have access as my nearest JoAnns are 80 miles and 120 miles. So do not get there often although I do order online. I think this would benefit the stores that are not close to a brick and mortar JoAnns.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:59 AM

WalMart doesn't want anything to do with the restaurant business, banking, optometry, etc......and none of those businesses compete with what WalMart has to sell.....the craft department at WalMart would be in direct competition with anyone selling craft items.[/QUOTE]

Actually, WalMart has some kind of deal with American Express to get around the fact that they CAN'T get into the banking business for whatever reason. I also noticed during Christmas that the only kind of gift cards they sold were for restaurants, not competing businesses such as Best Buy. I think it would be cool to see a JoAnn's Corner at Walmart, if that's the vision. They already have contracted nail salons, mc'ds, vision, used to have appliances - what's onemore?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 AM

If it DOES happen, rest assured that within a year the prices would be 9.97 per yard, no coupons, out of stock, and NO ONE to help you.. I hope it is JUST a rumor - but who knows?.....Shoney's closed down here, KFC and LJSilvers gone, cutting back on other stores - Penney's, Sears, Radio Shak, Best Buy, Office Depot, - can't remember the rest - OH! Barnes and Noble.........some stores are closing, the rest?? "another one bites the dust"!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:09 AM

Wow, I just learned something! I did a search on Bing using the terms: JoAnn's Fabrics and WalMart. Along with other stuff, this posting on QB came up in the search. Also another reference came up to the question, Did WalMart buy JoAnn's, this was on the site answers.com. I agree it would most likely be an in-store separate operation like the optical center, restaurants, etc. Someone mentioned that their JoAnn's is "going downhill." I think local management is responsible for a lot of the way a store goes. Some stores have great management and some are a mess. Anyway, I think the combination would be good for some areas where fabric is not available. Also, be aware that what you post here goes everywhere on the internet, not just this group of "friends."
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
You have to remember the important words here....RUMOR.....WalMart will most likely not give up its fabric department to a private contract.....WalMart will examine the profitability of the fabrics, then determine if they can make money selling them.....If no profit is there, then they will discontinue fabrics entirely, like they have in some stores already.....WalMart doesn't want anything to do with the restaurant business, banking, optometry, etc......and none of those businesses compete with what WalMart has to sell.....the craft department at WalMart would be in direct competition with anyone selling craft items.
Our McDonald's has a bank, an optometry, a beauty shop and a nail salon.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 AM

Our Walmart fabric dept here has always been an outside contract. Walmart doesn't own it. Sounds like an interesting story. Might be good news! Sure hope so!!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 AM

I had to stop at WM late last night on my way home since it was the only place open. Walked through the fabric dept- truly poor quality fabrics at $5 - 7/yard! Loosely woven, heavily starched or sized fabrics that will shrink a lot when washed. I prewash everything, and don't buy fabric at WM. They seriously downsized the fabric dept about 4 years ago and moved it to the back of the store. Thread and binding selections also decreased. Driving 25 miles to a fabric store isn't feasible with the price of gas jumping over 17 cents in just the last week. Cotton prices came down a lot over the past 2 years, but fabric costs continue to rise.