Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What I learned at quilt retreat

Thank you for making me laugh. Sorry you are having such a rough time. Love the rules another quilter posted such as if you are chillie, put on a sweater...etc. Hope you have a better day.

Kat

Blog Entries
    I read your post because it was authored by you. You know, when E F Hutton speaks everyone listens

I just turned down a retreat: Reason being I didn't want to lug my sleeping stuff AND my quilting stuff.
    The time it takes to load at home, unload at retreat, load after retreat and unload at home... I could have had a V-8 or gotten a whole lot of sewing done. Do I sound older and getting practical in my old age. Yup! And I ain't changin'!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

You know, it is the same way in church, movie or a meeting of some sort, there is always someone (most of the time a child crying) rattleing paper, talking or whatever. Most of the time there is no where to move to so you have to grin and bear the NOISE. The most noise usually happens right at the interesting part of the program. We as people just don't think sometimes on how we bother other listeners.
    MaryB

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjdavis4 View Post
    Your post was very funny. For a few years I attended a rather large retreat with my best friend. Most of the time we had great "neighbors" but a few times we weren't so lucky. This was before cell phone usage was prevalent, so we dodged that bullet. Because of the layouts of the room, we were assigned tables. Each of us had a table, my neighbor had MY table and hers as well. The entire weekend I spent "reclaiming" my space. LOL. Another year, I sat across from a woman who never stopped talking. She would interrupt conversations and even asked me if I was married as she was looking for a wife for her son. I assured her I was. She then went on to explain that her son was a shepherd. This retreat was held in a very large metropolitan area. I really didn't know what to think about looking like I would be good shepherd wife material. On arriving home, I immediately got a new hair style and changed my make-up!! It takes all kinds. That retreat eventually quit being held and I now attend two retreats a year which are very small and the same good friends attend. It's such a great time to sew, laugh, catch up on life, drink wine, eat good food and chocolate. It's in a couple of weeks and I can't wait to see everyone. I'm so lucky to be able to do this.
    Your funny story reminded me of the time I attended a seminar, actually, rather than a retreat, that lasted several days. My tablemate was a darling French gal I am sorry I didn't keep in contact with. But my roommate....oh heavens! After the second night I was utterly convinced she was a man in drag!!

And she was opinionated, critical, outspoken, snobbish, know-it-all, and was finally reprimanded by the retreat leader for some comments she made. Everybody tried to avoid her, but I was stuck with her at least 6-8 hours a day/night.

I tried to alleviate the problem by staying up at night sewing until I felt sure she was already asleep, and rising in the morning, throwing on yesterday's clothes, and stumbling to the sewing room as early as I could before she woke up. When she came down, I went up to dress, avoiding her again.

It was the best time and the worse time ever at retreat!!

Jan in VA
    Last edited by Jan in VA; 10-10-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I once attended a workshop sponsored by a new fabric shop. The instructor was one I had already had a class with and it was great. But this time ...the shop owner wasn't present, the instructor was on the phone disiplining and giving instructions to her home-alone brood of children. One of the students came with a new machine (foreign made and foreign to her) that she didn't even know how to thread. Had to experiment with the presser feet because she didn't know which was which. So when the instructor was not on the phone (and sometimes she did both) she was helping the clueless student. It was an heirloom class and we were supposed to be making a sample book with all of the different techniques. Needless to say, my samples were incomplete. The next day I tried to do as many as I could remember from her sketchy directions. Never again! Oh, and did I say "NEVER AGAIN"?

Bella, I know you were thinking about just packing up and heading towards home. I know I would have.
    Last edited by GailG; 10-10-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    I LIKE your style!!!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry I had to laugh when I read your post. Thumbs up to you for moving and avoiding the disasters. Me, I would of been the one frozen in place and trapped by the selfish slobs and vowing to never go to another retreat. Good for you for not wasting your time or money.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Glad you found your "comfort zone". Nobody should have to retreat from a retreat! lol
    I sure wish people could be more respectful of others.
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Wow are retreats really worth it?
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlquilter View Post
    Having just returned from a retreat I have to say resoundingly YES! I have yet to have a bad time at one or have a neighbor that annoyed me. I spent all of my waking hours sewing with my friends with breaks to have meals with my friends. There were about 85 quilters there and it was wonderful to see all of their work. Our next one is in January, and we'll have another in March with this same group. Meanwhile, we're planning our own smaller retreat sometime over the next year.

I don't think I've had as good a time anywhere, so I highly recommend it!

Blog Entries
    Oh, I love the retreats held here in my town. It is certainly worth it. I have made great friends that show up for every retreat. The rules are posted and you'd think adults would know to follow them. There is no assigned seating, first come, first pick.
    Got fabric?

A retreat is what you make it. You will either have a good attitude and sew, and learn and laugh or not. As for me, I love them. I always talk a little, laugh alot, sew a bunch, teach a ton, help with a smile, meet new friends and enjoy old and precious ones. It doesn't get any better, your with other quilters for goodness sake! What's not to love. If cell phones bug......then have a vibrate only rule and go outside to talk, easy peasy. Someone brings a machine they don't know, the host should take care of that. I have pitched in many times and in 30 minutes or so, problem solved....basics taughtand we are "all" on our way. I just came from one this last weekend and it was AWESOME! Did I help others with their machines? Yep. Did I help others with their projects? Yep. Did I still get 3 quilt tops done? Yep. You help others and they help you. It's what we do, along with laughing, joking, teasing, eating and just having the best time ever.

QM
    In my guild' retreats, the rudeness of this would have been 'splained' to her. I'm glad you were able to shift.

Needed the laugh early in the a.m... I would be the one that never went to a retreat, and not know to move before it was too late. I hate being a snot, but love my quiet time with a machine, and I'm there to learn. Cell phones aren't a problem. It's the people that are using them, and their entitlement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    Glad you made it work ... you are lucky there were options to move.

Most times there are not, and you are "locked in" whether you like it or not!
    This my experience...assigned placement. My last retreat I was next to a woman whose machine rattled not only the table but my teeth too. Made it difficult to work and concentrate. Not a fun weekend.

I lucked out and was placed next to a stranger who turned out to be the funniest and best quilter in the room. I would do anything to get her to come again and sit next to me. She made the whole retreat so much better, not that it was bad to begin with. Thank you so much Anita.

I've never been to a retreat - yet. Hope to go to one someday. Thanks for all the tips. Enjoy your retreat!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    I have only been to one retreat. While there I worked on two different machines and helped a woman who had just bought hers (she didn't know that the bobbin was directional!). I like doing that sort of thing and was happy to help when they asked. I am always cold and I love to talk while I sew. If I am not talking to someone I am on the phone or singing when at home. You have convinced me I probably shouldn't go to any more retreats because I am an annoyance.
    ....probably.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 10-11-2012 at 04:12 AM.
    Got fabric?

I'm surprised you found a 'spot' to finally settle into. The room must have been pretty big! LOL..thank you for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Romanojg, if you don't mind my asking, what is a John Deer class? We have a John Deere tractor, but I think it would have trouble at a retreat! ROTFL!!

Went to one retreat years ago. Never again.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm afraid I would have had to say something to the instructor. She obviously let things get out of hand. Our pastor made me laugh a few Sundays ago. He was preaching along and there was a couple carrying on a conversation. He simply stopped, looked at them and said, "since what you have to say is obviously more important than what I have to say, I'll wait until you finish. Or maybe you want to share with the congregation?" They just sort of looked at each other and said they were through. I would have crawled under the pew, but they acted like they had done nothing wrong. Some people have no respect for others, so I think I'm through with retreats! I love meeting the new people and learning new techniques, but I go to learn! I've found that I'm much better off taking classes at the local college when they have them!

I've just been to a couple of retreats and didn't realize how lucky I've been! We are so fortunate to have three rooms, so we have sort of a Goldilocks situation -- one room for the "wild and crazy" guys, one for the "silent and serious" guys, and one for those of us who are mostly quiet but have many laughter eruptions -- Just Right (at least for me). So far in my room, anyway, no issues re cell phones, new machines, etc. Room temp anywhere can be problematic, depending where gals are on the menopausal scale! Dressing in layers is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
    I have only been to one retreat. While there I worked on two different machines and helped a woman who had just bought hers (she didn't know that the bobbin was directional!). I like doing that sort of thing and was happy to help when they asked. I am always cold and I love to talk while I sew. If I am not talking to someone I am on the phone or singing when at home. You have convinced me I probably shouldn't go to any more retreats because I am an annoyance.
    You're not an annoyance!!! You can come sit by me and I'll help you with your machine or your project and I don't care if you talk to your kids and hubby on your cell phone. And if you're cold I'll even loan you my sweater!!

Don't let one stick in the mud attitude deter you!!

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    ....probably.
    I don't think that was called for.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlquilter View Post
    Absolutely!! Retreats are all about sharing and having fun. If you just want to keep your nose to the grindstone you should probably just stay at home though.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast