Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What I learned at quilt retreat

Your experience at the retreat is like so many at classes! Loved your descriptions!

Experience sure saved your retreat. There is nothing as irritating as having to spend that valuable time trying to sort out someone else's machine deficiencies. I usually say I'll try for 5 minutes and walk away after that. Probably does not make you popular but allows you to do what you came to do.

I haven't been to a quilting retreat yet but I've been to day long workshops. Things to remember, bring the tools you are familiar with, always bring a sweater or jacket (you don't know what the air temp will be in the room), turn off all cell phones (have lots of breaks so people can go outside the room to answer phone calls etc.) and remember to keep your sense of humor and most of all have fun! I am so glad you moved until you found a comfortable space. You were there to there to learn and have the best experience you could considering you were all strangers. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    So glad you made the best of it .. Others seem to forget they are not the only ones at the retreat. Sometimes its just great to have the peace and quiet to listen. Cell phones should be banned at retreats ! LOL or at least told to be put on vibrate and leave a message till the break or someone goes outside. LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    Maybe this would be a good time to help whoever is in charge of the retreats make up a Rules of Retreat list.
    - know YOUR machine or bring the manual
    - bring all supplies but remember that space is limited so be considerate of others' spaces
    - do NOT bring own sewing table so space set up is appropriate for all to use
    - must use cell phone in another area other than the quilting area or bedrooms, if occupied
    - be prepared for temperature differences, i.e., bring a sweater or sweatshirt
    - only beverages with spill proof tops allowed in sewing area [though some groups might limit this to water only]

Hmmm. Wonder what else could be added to that list.

ali
    If there is a speaker or program or instructor - if you don't want to listen, please go somewhere else so those that DO want to hear/learn, are able to do so.

You handled the situation with style and grace! You have a great sense of humor.

Never have attended a retreat, but have done sewing days and UFo nights. At first I felt bad about choosing my spot away from those with "special needs". Then I came to the conclusion that I showed up for me. Not to be a tutor, confidant or house maid. I know that that sounds harsh, but if I didn't look at these times this way, my hyper vigilance drives me crazy. I seem to clue into every possible annoyance! "I know me and my issue" so I must avoid it or I'm miserable!
    Kudos for you recognizing and avoiding the pitfalls! You my dear, are my HERO

I really loved hearing all the comments! I cook for Crafty Chicks Retreat (fb) out of Spokane and I hear just about all you said. Our groups are small (14) and no teachers as the retreaters do their own thing (quilt, crochet, scrapbook, sleep, read a book...) and after the shell shock wears off, everyone learns to laugh, love, help, eat, sleep, and enjoy. Only one retreat out of many did we have a group of "prickly porcupines" did the rest dislike as the 6 stayed by themselves and were critical of everyone else. They will not be invited back! It started as one retreat in the fall, 2 in the spring, and this fall we have 3 and next spring we are planning 4-all from word of mouth and a small bit of advertising. Just remember to eat, sleep, craft, repeat!

Never been to a retreat, but will keep your 'advice' in mind when I do. Glad you were able to move to a better location and enjoyed your retreat.

Ah, yes. When I attend classes with my sewing group (not necessarily quilting, but other types), I always have a list in my head of which members I do NOT want to sit with. I try to pre-arrange with somebody I know to do the "you save my seat, I save yours" routine so we can sit together! Some of the ladies are very nice, but they are real energy-suckers who keep distracting your attention from the class every few minutes, whether it's a machine problem or asking you to repeat what the teacher just said because they weren't listening (because they were dealing with the aforementioned machine problem...).

And just a quick note to MaryLane who said she's a talker... don't let it chase you away from retreats...there are always people around who would find you more entertaining than someone who just hunches over her machine all day. It takes all kinds, right?! When I used to attend scrapbooking retreats....hoo boy, I could tell you stories about those ladies. Suffice to say, once they smuggled in the wine, there was talking, singing, dancing, and assorted husband-yelling on cell phones going on non-stop. At least quilters don't usually smuggle in wine, because we're afraid of getting our fabrics stained LOL!
    Last edited by DonnaC; 10-11-2012 at 09:10 AM.

I think I go to the places to have fun. I use my phone, but tend to leave the room to as I take call. The only thing that would drive me crazy is a know it all. i start out polite, and then tend to ignore to a point of being oblivious. I don't have patience..

It is good reading all the various viewpoints here. I have never attended a quilting retreat but hoping to one of these days. My one concern that keeps me from signing up for one is the value of the experience. If I spend my hard-earned money for one, will there be others who interfer with me getting what I expect? It is good to hear what ALL of you had to say ... even the quilting police. Thanks All!
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Just finished a small retreat with a group of ladies who were hand-picked. Each one brought something interesting to the retreat in the way of food, projects, ideas, etc. We all got to know each other better and I came away with a renewed interest in a few of the attendees. I have been to large retreats where it was easy to stay away from the troublesome people. I have also found it quite easy to ask "who will be there" when invited to retreats. If I do not feel I can spend a few days with some of the ladies - I don't attend. Just makes it easier on me to not get cranky when I am constantly confronted by clueless, illogical and rude people. I do like your idea of moving around....

Thanks for the chuckle!! Glad you were able to move where you had some personal space.
    I have not attended an over-night retreat, but would like to some time. Have done day workshops, and sew-ins for the evening.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I have been to many retreats and enjoy them. There are annoying people everywhere, stores, planes, roads, even churches. Everyone is different. I hate to say it, but I find some of these comments harsh.
    Margie....wannaBsewer
    favorite poem..Outwitted by Edwin Markham...He drew a circle that shut us out..heretic, rebel a thing to flout.
    But Love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in!

I will say that when I went to retreat I never talked on my cell phone in the room. For one, it was too noisy for me. For another, those are private conversations. The talking I do is to others there about their projects, their homes, their families, their life experiences, etc...

I did learn things at retreat and people learned things from me. We showed one another pictures (on our phones) and how to do something a little different. I did not know the "proper" way to use a seam ripper.

I had fun but I do get nervous that I bother other people because I am just not the type to sit quietly and ignore those around me. Why go if you don't want the interaction? Rent a hotel room and sew alone.

I've never been to a retreat - probably never will - but i consider this site my 24/7 quilt retreat. The innumerable things i've learned - the warmth and comraderie i've received in response to threads - the beautiful work i've been able to look at and be inspired by ..... it doesn't get any better than that.....So QB is the best possible "quilt retreat for me.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

that is the problem with retreats, you always have to put up with other peoples problems. stay home.

I guess that's why I have never been to a retreat without at least one friend. Maybe we are the ones that annoy everyone else? We always have a good time and come away saying that it was the best one ever. I think I've been on 12 now.
    Christine Tindell

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    Ah, yes. When I attend classes with my sewing group (not necessarily quilting, but other types), I always have a list in my head of which members I do NOT want to sit with. I try to pre-arrange with somebody I know to do the "you save my seat, I save yours" routine so we can sit together! Some of the ladies are very nice, but they are real energy-suckers who keep distracting your attention from the class every few minutes, whether it's a machine problem or asking you to repeat what the teacher just said because they weren't listening (because they were dealing with the aforementioned machine problem...).

And just a quick note to MaryLane who said she's a talker... don't let it chase you away from retreats...there are always people around who would find you more entertaining than someone who just hunches over her machine all day. It takes all kinds, right?! When I used to attend scrapbooking retreats....hoo boy, I could tell you stories about those ladies. Suffice to say, once they smuggled in the wine, there was talking, singing, dancing, and assorted husband-yelling on cell phones going on non-stop. At least quilters don't usually smuggle in wine, because we're afraid of getting our fabrics stained LOL!
    Hey, FMQ ALWAYS goes better with wine....or a martini....or a Mike's hard lemonade. don't be too critical of those who drink.
    Christine Tindell

Blog Entries
    hehehehe!!! I don't blame you a bit. I had to laugh out loud at your experience.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Oh and another thing...where we go to retreat, the cell phones don't work because there are no towers nearby. That problem solved, there is a rule that if you want to listen to music, you listen to your Iphod with headphones because everyone doesn't like the same music. In the 12 or so I've been on there have only been 2 people that got under my skin. I always ask if they have signed up because one of them tried to discipline everyone for laughing and having a good time. The other one spoke so loudly that no one else could carry on a conversation. And if you did talk to your friend, she butted into every conversation in the room. And then late at night told people to go to bed and then was up at 6 talking loudly again. Sorry, if I want to sleep til 9, I will. So, I've brought earplugs, face mask, and my Ipod for those times I want to be in my own little world.
    Christine Tindell

I've never been on a quilt retreat, but I used to go to a lot of conferences for work. One year I sat next to someone who was quite distracted. As we talked during the breaks and over lunches, I learned that he and his wife were in the process of adopting an Eastern European baby and were waiting to hear when they could pick her up. We became good friends and stayed in touch via email and other work events. They now have 3 children from the same orphanage (2 are siblings).

I share this because, like most things in life, sometimes you get lucky and make a new friend. Other times you grit your teeth and make the most of it.

BTW I would never get anything done at a quilt retreat because I'm am easily distracted. I'd have to sew string quilt blocks or some other "mindless" type of project otherwise I'd be constantly messing it up!

Wow! There are many different descriptions of what happens at retreats as there are retreats! I go to two or three retreats every year. Get so much done and have a lot of room to work! I would feel deprived if I was not able to go to my retreats!
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

My son's mother in law was a hostess for a retreat back in September. She had asked me several times about attending, but I told her that I just didn't know if that was my thing, since I like my peace and quite while working. Well, I talked to my sister in law and we decided to give it a try. My sister in law got a full time teaching position and her first day was the first day of the retreat. So, I went by myself - now I'm not one to venture very far from home and especially not for a 5 day overnight retreat. Packed bedding and sewing stuff and headed out. I knew that I might have trouble concentrating so picked projects accordingly. No teaching, everyone worked on their own projects. I did not get alot done but I went for the purpose of meeting new people. I had a great time and met a wonderful group of women. They have decided to do 2 retreats next year and I have already sent my deposits in for both of them.

So if any of you are in my area and would like to attend, let me know and I will get you the information.

btw - no alcohol was allowed but we didn't need it to have a great time - altho I missed my vodka and seven up at bedtime to help me unwind - lol
    Linda

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast