Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I learned at the quilt show >

What I learned at the quilt show

What I learned at the quilt show

Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 AM

This sounds like Penny Haren's technique. Her website (www.pennyharen.com) is not up to date, but you can get an idea of her designs. Her books are available at Amazon.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:41 AM

Nancy Amidon teaches a method with freezer paper and starch that I like. Did a three day workshop with her and she is an excellent teacher. She hand stitches and her work is fabulous. If you search her name she has a website with some videos and she also has a DVD.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by echoemb View Post
I will do up a short tutorial on the applique technique that she taught. The sewing down the applique, here is what I learned:

1. # 60 needle
2. VERY fine bobbin thread, found new stuff called invisafil thread 100 Wt.
3. I have a bernia as she did and she uses the #20 foot and #3 stitch reversed so it does 2 running stitches and 1 zig stitch.

That's it. Looks great when you get done, can't see the stitches at all and the applique is stitched down solid.

Some of you probably already know about this who have the patience to do trial and error. I don't have that patience so this was a wonderful help so I could cut to the chase and start sewing.

Look for the tutorial within the week. I'll round up all of the supplies and I'm sure some of you have see this before also.
Do you use the fine thread in both the bobbin and on top?
I go to the Houston Quilt show every year and this June am going to the Vermont quilt show...can you tell us the name of the vendor so i can be on the look out for her?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:33 PM

I was very interested in learning more about this technique. Is there a tutorial on this? I couldn't find it. Thanks. I'm off to the Minnesota Convention on Thursday, I hope I see inspiration ideas and techniques as well.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Why not post the name of the vendor? I'm sure she would appreciate the interest in her method. She may have a book or supplies to sell.