Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What I learned at the quilt show

What I learned at the quilt show

I go to the quilt show in Denver, CO every year. Last year there was a vendor there that showed me a really cool applique method using freezer paper, school glue and alittle pointy thing you put on your finger. So I went home and did a bunch of applique pieces and I really love it. Then it came time to stitch them and I just could never come up with a method I like....so off to the quilt show this year and stopped at her booth again and she just happened to be putting her pieces onto the background. She spent about 20 minutes with me giving me all her tips and came home and WaLa!! it works great. Been working on Dear Jane and anything that involved applique is in a pile as I don't like to hand sew and kept thinking on a good day, I'll sit down and do that...well just did one of my blocks and it looks great!!! I spent a great day at the show. Hope you all had a good day.

Blog Entries
    I'm doing Dear Jane, too!
    I watched Sharon Shamber video on using "light weight foundation" (Pelon fusible on oneside) to applique and would never have tried without it! It stays on the piece and is easy to sew through.

I'm so glad you found a way to help you! Do you know who your vendor is and if she has anything on-line?
    Here's the one I use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeir...3&feature=plcp
    Last edited by Kitsie; 05-06-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quilt shows are suposed to inspire us and often there will be vendors ready, willing and able to teach us something. Hooray for you.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Wish there was quilt shows closer to me. I would probably learn a lot from those seasoned quilters.

What was the name of the vendor

I learned my applique prep technique from Amidon out of California. She demonstrated and I got the tools and DVD. When I went home, I completed the whole top of a chicken applique without a hitch. So fun.

So, what was the product and the method she taught you? Ann in TN

Yep, I'd like the product and method too.... I hate hand work.... need all the help I can get.

Blog Entries
    wonderful! it's always lovely to learn something useful. i went to the qlt show and didn't find much to buy. I thought i'd find a great template or tool to use but didn't. then found i couldn't use my gift cards to buy anything!! very upsetting. that was one reason i went! to buy things

Blog Entries
    Can you share what the method is, or direct us to a site where we can see/order etc??

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    I watched Sharon Shamber video on using "light weight foundation" (Pelon fusible on oneside) to applique and would never have tried without it! It stays on the piece and is easy to sew through.

I'm so glad you found a way to help you! Do you know who your vendor is and if she has anything on-line?
    Here's the one I use.

I guess this is where one says that we all have to find our own niche to fill. I watched this video a few days ago after finding it posted here and was beyond bored to tears with the whole process! I guess I'M not meant to do this sort of thing, but will admit that the results are beautiful.

I will do up a short tutorial on the applique technique that she taught. The sewing down the applique, here is what I learned:

1. # 60 needle
    2. VERY fine bobbin thread, found new stuff called invisafil thread 100 Wt.
    3. I have a bernia as she did and she uses the #20 foot and #3 stitch reversed so it does 2 running stitches and 1 zig stitch.

That's it. Looks great when you get done, can't see the stitches at all and the applique is stitched down solid.

Some of you probably already know about this who have the patience to do trial and error. I don't have that patience so this was a wonderful help so I could cut to the chase and start sewing.

Look for the tutorial within the week. I'll round up all of the supplies and I'm sure some of you have see this before also.

That video was fantastic - I have watched a lot of videos on needle turn applique and I learned so much from this one - thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
    So, what was the product and the method she taught you? Ann in TN
    My question, too... what was the little pointy thing on her finger?
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Okay! This I want to see!!!!! Thanks

Would please give us the name of the DVD or a site to order one?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by echoemb View Post
    I will do up a short tutorial on the applique technique that she taught. The sewing down the applique, here is what I learned:

1. # 60 needle
    3. I have a bernia as she did and she uses the #20 foot and #3 stitch reversed so it does 2 running stitches and 1 zig stitch.

That's it. Looks great when you get done, can't see the stitches at all and the applique is stitched down solid.

Some of you probably already know about this who have the patience to do trial and error. I don't have that patience so this was a wonderful help so I could cut to the chase and start sewing.

Look for the tutorial within the week. I'll round up all of the supplies and I'm sure some of you have see this before also.
    I strongly dislike applique, but love the look of it. I'll keep watching to see the tute. YAY! Thanks!

Thanks for sharing this info.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the information... am just really getting into applique and love finding out different ways to do it... look forward to your tutorial..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post

Here's the one I use.

Kitsie, Thank you for this site.
    Veronica

This sounds like Penny Haren's technique. Her website (www.pennyharen.com) is not up to date, but you can get an idea of her designs. Her books are available at Amazon.

Nancy Amidon teaches a method with freezer paper and starch that I like. Did a three day workshop with her and she is an excellent teacher. She hand stitches and her work is fabulous. If you search her name she has a website with some videos and she also has a DVD.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by echoemb View Post

1. # 60 needle

Do you use the fine thread in both the bobbin and on top?
    I go to the Houston Quilt show every year and this June am going to the Vermont quilt show...can you tell us the name of the vendor so i can be on the look out for her?
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

I was very interested in learning more about this technique. Is there a tutorial on this? I couldn't find it. Thanks. I'm off to the Minnesota Convention on Thursday, I hope I see inspiration ideas and techniques as well.

Blog Entries
    Why not post the name of the vendor? I'm sure she would appreciate the interest in her method. She may have a book or supplies to sell.
    Got fabric?