Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I learned today....Quilting 101 >

What I learned today....Quilting 101

What I learned today....Quilting 101

Old 08-25-2017, 10:33 PM

When I decided to make my first quilt, I knew nothing about quilting, knew no one who quilted, and didn't even own a single quilting book. It was also before I had a computer to look things up. Basically I was clueless!

Lesson one: Measure the bed, lol! I happily stitched away, making an enormous quilt that would have puddled on the floor even if I had a California King!

Having sewn clothing for years, I used a 5/8" seam allowance, and, when the pieces didn't fit, I simply eased them together. No amount of starch or steam would ever get the dang thing to lay flat.

I tried to quilt it using 2" thick polyester craft batting, which, of course, wasn't even close to being as wide as the quilt top. I laid a piece of the batting somewhat diagonally, with the backing also skewed, but at an opposite angle, neither of which reached all the way across the width. Basting never even entered my mind.

As if that wasn't enough, I didn't know what a quilting stitch was, so I just started embroidering my way thru this enormous, fat bubbled mess!

Needless to say, it did not take me very long to give up, and not long after, I bought my first quilting book.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:35 AM

I have learned that now since I'm using my Janome with a 9 inch throat on a Grace frame that I can't quilt as large a space as I could before. Smaller meandering is needed. I've traced off a small meandering pattern and had it laminated so I can tape it to the end of my machine as a visual reminder.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:41 AM

I taught a foundation piecing class last week to make badges for our guild. I stressed pinning and even brought a pincushion full of fine pins for them to use/borrow. Pinning can make all the difference when getting pieces lined up. Of course someone had to be in a hurry and not pin. She won't be having a badge.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post
When I decided to make my first quilt, I knew nothing about quilting, knew no one who quilted, and didn't even own a single quilting book. It was also before I had a computer to look things up. Basically I was clueless!

Lesson one: Measure the bed, lol! I happily stitched away, making an enormous quilt that would have puddled on the floor even if I had a California King!

Having sewn clothing for years, I used a 5/8" seam allowance, and, when the pieces didn't fit, I simply eased them together. No amount of starch or steam would ever get the dang thing to lay flat.

I tried to quilt it using 2" thick polyester craft batting, which, of course, wasn't even close to being as wide as the quilt top. I laid a piece of the batting somewhat diagonally, with the backing also skewed, but at an opposite angle, neither of which reached all the way across the width. Basting never even entered my mind.

As if that wasn't enough, I didn't know what a quilting stitch was, so I just started embroidering my way thru this enormous, fat bubbled mess!

Needless to say, it did not take me very long to give up, and not long after, I bought my first quilting book.
Your post made me laugh out loud!! I love your humor
Old 08-26-2017, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JJBlaine View Post

What did you do with this project? I laughed, too!

Last edited by bearisgray; 08-26-2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

I have learned to be aware of secondary patterns that can develop when blocks/units are placed next to each other.

(I think) some layouts work out better when they are even x even or odd x odd arrangements than an even x odd arrangement.

Sometimes I think it takes at least four blocks (or drawings of blocks) to see what might be developing - and nine blocks set together will usually show which way it might be going.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:15 AM

When I first thought about putting all my left over clothing fabric scraps together, I got some ideas while milking cows. I thought about it a long time, then started to top stitch one piece to the next with a decorative stitch. Of course it got too big and wouldn't lay flat. I finished the queen sized top, but had to slice it in two places to get rid of the "bubbles". The quilt was tied and was around until it was truly worn out. Then I found out it works better if you work with smaller squares!
Old 08-26-2017, 06:10 AM

Sewnoma, I was told to never blow into the bobbin areas of a machine as you may force those troublesome bits of lint into "can't quite get them out" areas.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:29 AM

A fuzzy pipe cleaner is more effective than a brush for getting lint out of your machine.
Attached Thumbnails pipe-cleaner.jpg  
Old 08-26-2017, 08:02 AM

At about 12:30am this morning I learned just how valuable it is to have plenty of needles on hand when sewing several layers of Peltex, Fusible Fleece, Piping and fabric! I heeded the advise of others who've previously made this bag and stocked up on a wide variety of needles - to include Jeans 16. All together - I bent/broke 5 needles BUT the bag is complete!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]579550[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]579551[/ATTACH]

Sorry photos are sideways - I haven't figured out how to rotate them!

Christine
Attached Thumbnails duffel-bag-1.jpg   duffle-bag-2.jpg  

Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 08-26-2017 at 08:05 AM.