Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I learned today....Quilting 101 >

What I learned today....Quilting 101

What I learned today....Quilting 101

Old 08-26-2017, 08:54 AM

to make at least one test block before starting any others (including all the cutting) and to trim up all the units of the block as I'm putting them together! My first Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt taught me that!

And to keep the pattern with the fabric when I stash it away for later.
Right now I'm trying to work on my pressing to increase my accuracy.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:27 AM

I'm one of those people who knew nothing about quilting when I started. (Thank goodness for youtube.com.) Had my first adventure been that difficult, I doubt I would have tried again. However, the first book I bought after my difficult 1st quilt was Rotary Magic. Boy, my cutting improved immensely. Would you believe the second quilt fit together pretty well? (Of course, I did a little bit of "easing" to match those seams, too.)

JJ, I guess that says a lot about your tenacity.

bkay
Old 08-26-2017, 09:43 AM

Been there. Done that. A lot of fabric has collected in my "scraps" because of measuring mistakes.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:44 PM

I learned (or re-learned) to always double-check the block layout in the quilt top -- The most recent top I finished I made the same (really, really, stupid) mistake twice. However, I did luck out in that the blocks turned the wrong way were on the final row of the quilt top assembly! Woooo Hoooo, did I ever luck out on that!

Christine, I know what you mean -- I made a bag for my cousin (now deceased) several years ago. I broke three (Yes, Three) needles just on the final row of stitching (which was decorative in nature).

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 08-26-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I learned (or re-learned) to always double-check the block layout in the quilt top -- The most recent top I finished I made the same (really, really, stupid) mistake twice. However, I did luck out in that the blocks turned the wrong way were on the final row of the quilt top assembly! Woooo Hoooo, did I ever luck out on that!

Christine, I know what you mean -- I made a bag for my cousin (now deceased) several years ago. I broke three (Yes, Three) needles just on the final row of stitching (which was decorative in nature).
I find taking pictures of my blocks really helps. Found all my boo-boos before
sewing the blocks together.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:15 PM

Just today I learned that just because someone compiled it, made it into an information sheet, made copies and handed them out at a meeting doesn't mean that the information is accurate on said sheet!

I used a handout on how to make 8 HSTs at a time and it gave the sizes of squares to start with to make finished HSTs of certain sizes.
Can you guess that the sizes of starting squares given were not accurate and that I made 3, yes 3 sets before I cut them and pressed them open to measure them? Luckily I had enough fabric for do overs!
Old 08-26-2017, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
when buying yardage for a quilt pattern, always buy more than called for. By the time I get around to cutting, piecing and boarders, the fabric is out of style or not available. Better to have 1/2 yard too much for your stash than not enough for your quilt.
This is sooooo true, thanks for the reminder.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
At about 12:30am this morning I learned just how valuable it is to have plenty of needles on hand when sewing several layers of Peltex, Fusible Fleece, Piping and fabric! I heeded the advise of others who've previously made this bag and stocked up on a wide variety of needles - to include Jeans 16. All together - I bent/broke 5 needles BUT the bag is complete!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]579550[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]579551[/ATTACH]

Sorry photos are sideways - I haven't figured out how to rotate them!

Christine
Wow, nice!
Old 08-26-2017, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
What did you do with this project? I laughed, too!
After 20-something years of sitting in one bin affter another, last month I finally pulled it out and ripped out all of my "quilting", thinking I might cut it in half and make two matching large lap quilts. Two nights ago, I basted a piece as a backing for one of my scrappies, so, hopefully, in another week or so, I might actually finish my "first" quilt, lol!
Old 08-26-2017, 10:51 PM

I have learned that what I think is easy is hard for someone else. This to say, that most of my backs are the leftovers + some other yardage. That rarely do I plan borders ahead, it's back to the stash to find something that will work, surely there's something in the thousands of yards of fabric I already have. Cutting something wrong is usually an opportunity to try something new-get creative. Now, on the other hand, I'll never learn Spanish even after working with it for 14 yrs, nope, never happen, still need an interpreter.