Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: This is what I may pick up, would you???

Have a chance to buy this 1900 Model 27 Singer. The motor and light work but need a little work on getting the wheel and needle to turn. Going to take it in and see how much it costs to repair. Since it's 1900 - 110 years old, probably not too many parts available, so we'll see.

Would you buy this? or should I let it pass and look for a featherweight
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Joselake
    Have a chance to buy this 1900 Model 27 Singer. The motor and light work but need a little work on getting the wheel and needle to turn. Going to take it in and see how much it costs to repair. Since it's 1900 - 110 years old, probably not too many parts available, so we'll see.

Would you buy this? or should I let it pass and look for a featherweight
    The machines sure had beautiful decals/ornamentation then.

depending on how much she costs, I might buy her just to polish her up and admire her!

Susan

It depends on what it cost.

Banned
    unless you collect old sewing machines....let it pass and get one you will use.
    Just depends on what you want it for.

Blog Entries
    I bought one on EBAY for $49 pus shipping - took it in to my repairman and he replaced the foot feet/cord for $25, cleaned her all up and I also bought 3 shuttles for her and the total bill was $97 including the foot pedal. Runs like a charm. I bought her because it was made in the year my Grandma was born. I just need to get my addition on the house that DH keeps telling me he is going to do so I have all my machines in one place and have a regular sewing studio. when I retire- if I can afford to retire -- I plan on sewing the rest of my life away.

She's asking $35 for her and then the cost to fix her. I suspect it will cost me about $100 when all is said and done.

dd
    I have one just like that. I bought mine at goodwill in the treadle stand cabinet. My dad went over her with a fine tooth comb, cleaned her all up and she works great. My dad is 84 and didn't need to buy anything, just oiled and cleaned.

Blog Entries
    Let us know what u decide!

I think it is worth $35. Where in Michigan are you ? I'm in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Blog Entries
    depends on the cost- if the price was right i would buy it

Blog Entries
    I personally would not buy this machine for $35 because it doesn't work and is not in very good cosmetic condition. Also, it looks as if the electrical cords are original and will need replacement. This type of machine weighs a ton, so it's not very portable. I just don't like putting that much work into a machine with an unknown cost to get it running. I suspect the real value in this machine is for someone who enjoys fixing them up. I enjoy fixing up "a little", but not this much work! My current requirement is that I need to know the machine is able to make stitches.

Parts are cheap and easy to find for the 27. :)

$35 is a little high for decals in this poor a condition, but the nickle plating appears to be good and I've never seen that face plate before, so I would buy it. :)

You will need to replace all the electrical components - like you said, that will bring your cost up to about $100-120.

The only drawback to the 27/28/127/128 models is that they have a shuttle and long bobbin and if you don't use a bobbin of exactly the right length on the bobbin winder, you will end up with a dog-bone effect.

You can use modern repro bobbins, but they are a tick too short so you will have to guide the thread onto the bobbins with your fingers. No big deal, but it is a bit of a pain in the neck.

It takes ordinary 15x1 needles and standard low shank feet and accessories.

Some people are crazy about these machines for FMQ. :)

If it's this or a featherweight, you're comparing apples and oranges... or an anchor and a feather. For $35 I would buy it, but I would do the repair myself, so that would keep the cost down.

Edited to say - I would be more likely to buy it in a treadle cabinet rather than with electricity.

I would! But then, I'm and addict! I have several that have been restored and i use them in the house instead of the shop. The one thing about old machines is that they are still in use and parts can still be found - they just don't wear out except the electrical cords

Oh, buy 'er. You'll kick yourself, otherwise.

I'd buy it for $35

Go to the Vintage Sewing Machine thread on quiltboard. Look for tutorials on how to clean and free up these old machines yourself. Easy to do since they were so simple. You learn a lot about how a sewing machine works. Then you just have to get new cord, etc., or convert it to treadle if you can find a cabinet and base that fit.

The Sphinx decals are fun! I still use my Grandmother's old treadle Singer redeye. Great for piecing, and some use for free motion quilting!

Blog Entries
    YES! I have one just like it and it sews very well. The bobbin and shuttle case were missing but the repair man was able to get the parts. It is very heavy.

I do have 5 bobbins that it came with and a pack of needles. At least I have those.

I just can't get myself to say no...I always think of what a life she has had and who has touched her throughout the years. If I can fix her up myself, maybe she is worth it.

I don't want someone tossing me away just beacuse I'm old and a little worn looking...lol

Blog Entries
    It looks as if it has a great harp space - and it's very decorative, I would buy it at that price (I love the face plate too).

I don't think everything old has to work! Sometimes they clean up beautifully and that is enough.

I do have 5 bobbins that it came with and a pack of needles. At least I have those.
    If you have five of the right bobbins, you have one pain in the neck eliminated. :)

I would keep the old needles as a keepsake if they're in old packaging, but use new needles for sewing. You can buy regular 15x1 sharps in many sizes for $12-15 per hundred on eBay and they'll fit almost any domestic sewing machine and quilting situation.

I just can't get myself to say no...I always think of what a life she has had and who has touched her throughout the years.
    That's one of the charms of these old gals for me, too. :)

I don't want someone tossing me away just beacuse I'm old and a little worn looking...lol
    :mrgreen: Me, either! And the older and more worn-looking I get...... ;)

I don't think you'll be sorry - these things are so fun to tinker around with. Cleaning the mechanical parts is easy as pie. Cleaning the exterior without damaging the decals is tricky, but if you can get it clean enough to sew with, that's good enough.

This kind of machine is a good one to practice on because you're really not going to damage it's value. If the appearance ever really bothers you, you could even strip it and paint it a jazzy candy-apple red or deep purple or something else crazy and it wouldn't "ruin" anything. But, really once you get it clean and get to sewing with it, I'm betting its appearance will become attractive to you.

Have fun with it! :)

Blog Entries

I just can't get myself to say no...I always think of what a life she has had and who has touched her throughout the years. If I can fix her up myself, maybe she is worth it.

For just $35.00, you will probably regret it if you pass on this one.
    I agree - oldies can be goodies - pretty simple to fix and will give you many more hours of stitching.
    I'd go for it.

Looks like it is worth $35.00, even if you just clean and pilsh it up to look at.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast