Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what I never heard before about Minky >

what I never heard before about Minky

what I never heard before about Minky

Old 02-15-2012, 04:00 AM

I used minkee for sashing and the back of my grandsons quilt. The biggest problem I had was with the thickness at joining corners. I love the stuff. So cuddly and warm. Not sure how it will hold up after years though.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:54 AM

Its the texture. I prefer crisp, weathered soft.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I guess I'm the only quilter that does not like Minky. I see it in the shops in pretty colors but I don't like the way it feels. Too cloying for me.
No, you aren't the only one - I hate the feel of it, too - and am not real crazy about how it looks. But then, I can't stand the feel of microfiber either - maybe I'm just wierd -
Old 02-15-2012, 05:26 AM

I don't like Minky either, hate the way it feels and I had a hard time sewing with it.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 AM

I have never used Minky but was considering using it as a back for a baby quilt. Since reading these post though I know I will never use it. That is unless Minky is improved. Sounds like more than I could handle.
A big concern I would have is, what does it do to the sewing machine. More than likely the bobbin casing has to be cleaned thoroughly. Don't think it's worth it. Think I will use flannel for the back instead of Minky.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Banned

I love quilting on minky and other plush fur fabrics for backing on lap quilts and baby quilts. It's the softest!! I especially love Shannon fabrics' Cuddlesoft - not so much stretch, which is wonderful for quilting on my longarm. For Christmas, my sister made a lap quilt for each of her kids, which I machine-quilted. I use an old mat to trim, then have to vacuum afterwards. I told her I was going to charge her for cleanup . And she found that the long fur shed, so just popped each of the quilts into the wash before giving them away. Her kids absolutely love their snuggy quilts, and these five "kids" range in age from 16 to 29. (I also love quilting with minky because it shows off my quilting...)
Attached Thumbnails img_0251.jpg   img_0254.jpg   img_0259.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by oleganny View Post
No, you aren't the only one - I hate the feel of it, too - and am not real crazy about how it looks. But then, I can't stand the feel of microfiber either - maybe I'm just wierd -
I'm with you - I can't stand the feel of microfiber! I don't think I've ever touched minky and after reading all this I don't think I want to anyway.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:15 AM

Thank you to all who have commented. I have never worked with minky. I have been tempted but am now sure that
I do not want to work with it. I have enough dust bunnies with 3 critters running around the house and all my thread snips.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 AM

I have used it once for a backing for a baby quilt and I think I will stick to that use only. Then I don't have to cut it much.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:17 AM

I can imagine a pieced minky quilt would be a challenge with lint to clean up. However, I made a quilt for my husband with minky backing and he LOVES it. While making it, I used a pet hair roller to pick up the fuzzy lint after cutting the piece, rolling it over the minky edges to pick up any loose pieces that stuck to the minky too. It picked up fine. Then, I delivered the quilt to my LAQ who said she had no problem quilting with it. I kept the edges longer so I could turn them around to the front and fold/sew the binding and complete the quilt. Turned out great. He uses the quilt alot over the past 2 years and we've had no problem with it.
Meanwhile, since then, I made a quilt for myself with good quality flannel backing. It's nice. But, I prefer the feel of the minky as it's so soft. I'm sure a minky-backed quilt will be a to-do item in the future again.