Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I see as a Longarm Quilter >

What I see as a Longarm Quilter

What I see as a Longarm Quilter

Old 08-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

thank you for the terrific post! i appreciate both the information and the honesty.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 AM

Wink Just a couple of my own insights as a professional laq

Everything by crashnquilt is right on. I would add that if you DO NOT measure your pieced top BEFORE adding borders, it's not going to be square. There are instructions for measuring, cutting and adding borders if you will search for it on internet or on some of the quilt websites. This will assure that you have a square quilt UNLESS it is so really crooked from your piecing that there's no hope for it. If it's not too crooked, it will quilt out from being taut on the quilt frame. Also, if you have piano keys on the outside border or 4 patches, you really need to stay stitch about 1/8 inch around the top to help hold those stitches together because the frame keeps those edges taut as it is being quilted.

As for the backing with several or even two pieces of fabric, pieces are ok for me on my longarm as long as you do not have to have it centered. You cannot get it exact because the frame will keep the backing taut as you quilt, you cannot see the back as you are quilting AND since you are using two or more pieces of fabrics (they may be across grain on one and with grain on other or two different brands will stretch differently) they are going to stretch different ways.

Also if you absolutely have to piece the back, don't have a seam close to the edge because if it does stretch in one spot more than another, it could end up in the binding area of the quilt edge and it doesn't look so good to have a one inch strip on the top edge and a 1 and a half or 2 inch strip at the bottom. So if you must piece, make the piece closer in on your fabric pieces. For instance, instead of having a 45 inch piece that is 42 inches of one fabric sewed to a 3 inch piece of another fabric, make two pieces maybe 27 inches and 18 inches, so it won't show up as much on the back when finished.

One more tidbit before I get off my soapbox, when we have to cut off your selvage on your backing, that takes time and therefore money on our part. If you do not cut off the selvage, it has no "give" to it like the rest of the fabric and will cause uneveness on the sides or top/bottom. If you leave it on where you seam the pieces together, and we have to trim it off, sometimes we have to sew another seam for it to be enough to hold together. Again, time is money and sometimes it is a thin line between profit and loss.

As for the post about how the "laq's always do a great job and we are always happy with our quilts", you may have a longarmer that has stressed out for hours or even days over how to make it look good, not to mention that my husband has a well worn place under the bed where he hides when he hears that certain squeak and squeal and arrrrrrgggggghhh.....lol and sometimes we want to keep our business going so we try our best and don't tell you everything. I have been extremely fortunate with no big problems!!!!

Now that I have scared off all the newbies and some seasoned ones too, go see that longarmer and talk to them, the more ya'll know about each other, the happier you will be!!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:23 AM

I printed your post to keep as a "lesson" on how to prepare my top for a LAQ. Thanks so much for the details. Don't feel defensive about it since this was all based on your experiences.
Thanks again.
Pat
Old 08-05-2012, 09:28 AM

The auto pilot on my longarm does NOT stop if it runs across a problem, I can sit close and sew or stand close but I watch mostly and listen for sounds that are different and can stop it if something is going on. I will not leave the room.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM

Excellent post..I an going to add my 2 cents.
I am also a LAer and my biggest chant 'The LA can quilt it out'...No we can't quilt out hills,valleys,C and D cups,wavy borders or borders that are 4 inches too big'.

The backing is too small....I advised my custs that the backing has to be 6 inches bigger than the top so I can pin it on the rollers and have room to center the quilt.

Inferior batting...I refused to use cheap batting,it tears,stretches,has lumps and bumps that will not quilt out. I carry good bat and sell it to my cust for a reasonable price.

Talk to us on how you want your quilt done..If you tell the LAer to do what she wants...don't get upset. YOU gave her permission to do what she wanted. If you do not tell us,you can't go on quilting forums and say the LAer ruined your quilt. it is YOUR job to tell us what you want..so really think about it before you blame the LAer.

Please do not expect custom quilting with a zillion thread changes and want it for edge to edge prices. It take alot of time to customize a quilt,plan out the pattern and bury threads. I do alot of custom and it takes weeks or longer to a quilt show quality job.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 AM

tons of great info on here.I agree long armers can not quilt it out on major flaws.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

What a great thread! Lots to read and absorb. Thanks for starting it.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 AM

Crashnquilt, thank you for your expertise. Your information was enlightening. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:21 AM

I am a hand quilter, but tried one of the LA machines at the Houston Quilt Festival and found it lots of fun. This thread reminds me of an old saying, 'Garbage in, garbage out.' It stands to reason that problems with the quilt top are not going to go away all by themselves once the LAr gets hold of it. Very informative. A great post. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:23 AM

One of the best posts I have seen on this board. Thank you for all the good information. Will print it out and read to my guild next meeting. Thanks again.