Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What I see as a Longarm Quilter >

What I see as a Longarm Quilter

What I see as a Longarm Quilter

Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks sew much for this post. I am working on a quilt top now that will be my first one to bring to a LA'er, so all of this information is very helpful to me. I am a nervous wreck about it though!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:20 PM

Don't be nervous about it. Trust your intuition, if you feel comfortable with the laq'r, it's probably going to be alright. From my own experiences being on the other end as the laq'r, I too was nervous a little at first but as soon as I started talking to the people, it got easier to get across what I could do for them and what they wanted from me. I do have people that just send me their quilts and bring them and say do what you think is best and I've not had any problems but it is always best if you both know what you as the onwer of the finished quilt want. Most of these folks started with me as a new laq'r. Also better to know up front if there is a problem with it.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by BarbM32 View Post
The original post and all comments following are very helpful. So far my backings are one piece but if I do need to piece it will be across not up and down. Would this be more helpful to a LAQ???
Hi, Barb- For me, it doesn't matter which way the seam in the backing goes, because I can always load the quilt sandwich sideways if the seam is a vertical one. The longarmer wants the seam to be parallel to the rollers so that the entire seam goes over the roller all at once. If the seam runs perpendicular to the rollers, it keeps building up on itself, making a thick area, and the fabric on either side is lifted up, and can not lay flat. Seams in the backing become a problem when there is more than one seam, and they go in different directions. The thick areas are unavoidable. Also (not sure if this was mentioned--I read all the posts, but memory's not what it used to be, lol!) the seam in the backing (which should be a half inch seam, as mentioned, without selvedges attached), should be pressed open. Hope all this makes sense.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I am fascinated by how many LAQ have issues with seams in the backing. Granted I have only been LAQ for about 2 years now and have done a whopping total of about 2 dozen quilts (give or take) Of those 2 dozen quilts 3 were my own and every single one of them had pieced backings. Like a double sided quilt pieced so I am not talking one or two cross seams going both horizontal, vertical, and diagonal, I am talking dozens of seams. I have included orphan blocks, new blocks, strips, piano keys, and huge chunks of fabric. Here are links to pictures of them that I included pics of the BACK as well as the front. They were actually the first two quilts I did on my LA, so maybe I was too green to know a difference but I certainly did not run into any issues. No pleats, no tucks, no nothing.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...rm-t77776.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...lt-t85150.html

I just completed one a few weeks ago that had a log cabin set in barn raising pattern on the back along with a bunch of other piecing (haven't posted pics of that one yet). Again, I ran into no issues at all. I wasn't able to perfectly center them, I think that is just not possible, but I got close enough.

In addition to these quilts I have had 4 client quilts with pieced backs that I was asked to center as closely as possible. So again I had vertical and horizontal seams. No issues.

I do know that my quilt rack is a four rail system as opposed to 3 which many people have. My take up roller is set above my quilting bed a good 10 inches and my 4th roller is really just a tension roller that sits low on the quilt bed where most LAQ take up roller is. So if I do get build up from a seam it does not affect my take up.

That said, I do love getting a single wide back piece. They are quite heavenly. But I have absolutely NO problems with pieced backings and I don't care which way the seams lie.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:49 PM

Great information - Thank You.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:15 PM

I always use a LAQ for my quilts. My LAQ happens to also be a quilt teacher and friend so I know her pretty well. She wants me to always stay stitch around a quilt and does not mind pieced backings. I do iron the heck out of my tops and backing and make sure that they are square and lay flat. All my quilts come back beautifully done
Old 08-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Computerized quilting comes in lots of shapes and sizes these days. I have Intelliquilter and may step into the next room but I don't feel comfortable leaving a quilt alone for long. Too many little things might change the quality of the quilting and we computerized to improve our results not so we could set it and forget it. You may think computerized means no effort on our part. It also takes a lot of work, training and practice to get good results. It's just a different method than freehand longarm quilting.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:40 PM

Great thread. I am a LAQ and have a few loyal customers. I have no problem with seams going up and down or back and forth. I even have had great luck with minkee and fleece as backings. The main point is: talk to your LAQ. Tell her want YOU want and listen to what she needs. If you cannot come to an agreement, find another LAQ! There is one that is right for you.

PS ruler work is anything that is quilted using a ruler...could be SID (which is easy on a domestic machine, but it NOT on a long arm...so when you say 'JUST SID', watch your LAQ's face!), could be a template (like a circle, swag, heart, etc) Ruler work usually takes more time and its 'fiddly-er' (how is that for a good made up word..lol)
Old 08-06-2012, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I always take my quilts to the LAers. If fact, she called me last night and asked me which way I wanted my back to lay. I had sewn in a yard of different fabric in the middle of the backing. I told her to do what worked better for her and she said either way was fine with her. I have never had a problem with my quilts. They've always come back looking beautiful. I am one who gives these instructions to the LAer: do what you think will work best. And she always does a great job. Some times I have a custom and we talk about it, but I let her decide what to do with the quilt. I haven't had any wavy borders, I don't think anyway. I've never noticed them. And she's never complained. One time she charged me $10 for ironing and after that I ironed the heck out of my quilt tops. I felt bad that she had to re-iron my quilt. But, it had been at the LAer for 3 months, so I figured it probably needed to be ironed again. I cut all the threads away and pull the threads that are stuck in the seams. I turn it over and cut all the threads on the back so there's no extra threads anywhere. Now, she might have problems with my quilts, but she's never said so and like I said, they always look so perfect when I get them back. I must have a great LAer. I love her work.
your quilt has been with the la-er for 3 months??? ironing shouldn't take 3 months. is this normal???
Old 08-06-2012, 03:10 AM

Thanks for the info ---- will help all of us with the quilting issues. I have the utmost regard for any LA quilter ---- I have dabbled with free motion on a mid Arm Bailey for a few quilts at the LQS. I think I will have less frustrations with it now if I follow some of the tips you have shared. As for being blasted etc for what we say/share on the board --- I would hope we are above and beyond that. If not, come join me in my "Fall Out" shelter --- the chat area or a PM conversation.

WilliP