Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What I want.....

I have been sewing in my dining room and kitchen lately... (I have a small area set up downstairs, but it is chilly and dark down there!) and I have been thinking about the things I would like in my "someday sewing room"... I know that I want a cutting table and an ironing table that are counter height (my back hurts! lol). Also, some decent lighting. (I may get an Ott-light this week, since they are on sale at Jo-Ann's) and a few other things.
    Anyways.... I was wondering what some of your "Must-haves" are for your sewing areas. What are the things you just can't live without, and what kinds of things are nice, but not essential?
    I'm always looking for ideas!
    Thanks everyone!

Rolling chair...comfortable, of course! Design wall...a must have! There's much more...but let's hear from some more folks...

I recently bought a TV for my sewing room and it keeps me company I don't listen to a radio only in the car. Also you will need storage for fabric and notions too.

Easy to clean floor! Bright color.

Open shelving, so I/you can see your fabric stash, and not be rumaging in those bags and drawers for that bit you know you saw in there last month.

Titled and dated magazine boxes/folders for easy access and to keep them neatly in order.

Oh, and don't forget the kettle and tea bags :lol:

I need a touch labeler since the one I have is the old kind that you have to squeeze to make the letters. I think it would be great to label all those drawers and containers.
    Wendy

Swivel chair, I sit in a little U shaped section. Machine, and to the left of that Ironing cloth, and to the left of that a small cutting mat. And Yes TV to keep me company. . My machine is on one of those old metal tables where the leafs drop down. so behind it I bring up the leaf and put a 24x36 cutting mat works great. where the small cutting mat is I found at Goodwill (thank The Lord for that store) a childs head board that has shelves in it. Cut the legs off so it sits right behind the sm. cutting mat. its just deep enough for fat quarters. It was PERFECT I had been looking for awhile so imagine how excited I was when I found it. If I have pictures I'll send them. Good Luck

I have a cutting table, sewing cabinet with my sewing machine in it, bookcases for fabric and books, bulletin board, and other things to make the room yours. I have butterflies all around mine.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If I were to get a sewing room, I would want a "real" sewing machine to put in it!! My little Wal-mart cheapie is fine for piecing but I'd love more space for quilting.

You need a very large space -- 40'x40' would do to start :lol: :lol:

I couldn't live without my cutting table. Got it at JoAnn's years ago and I use it for cutting, wrapping presents at Christmas, hooping projects all year for machine embroidery, spray basting smaller quilts -- even the cats sleep on it...

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce

Yes Please!!!!
    :lol:

Wouldn't that be great!!! I have only about 180 square feet, in which I manage, but I could really put the 1600 s.f. you suggest to work! :-D :-D

My favorites:
    Cutting Table: Large and stable, one with drawers or shelves is handy
    Design Wall, I'd be lost trying to make things without one!
    Press Boards: The bigger the better, and a couple small ones too
    Lighting: lots of very bright light
    Ergonomic Office Task Chair - threads don't stick to easy-to-clean leather :idea:
    Lots of Storage Areas, it's easy to stay organized with a place for everything
    Lot of electricity, I have two extra circuits, 1 for lights and 1 just for irons

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherQuilts

Yes Please!!!!
    :lol:
    OMG! I LOVE the way that sounds...then we could have our very own bathrooms without giving up too much space!

I love my sewing room just wish it was about 10 times larger!

i bought a 4 by 7 cutting table made by an amhish man in tunas mo (south) near Bennett springs ) it is wounderfull he even put the place in it to cut the fabric like the ones at the store.
    i and in the basement my husband made me a sewing room down here i always say "OK i am going to my dungeon"LOL it is cold but i have a heater in here. sorry my spelling it bad

Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I love my sewing room just wish it was about 10 times larger!
    me, too, gf, me, too!

My dream sewing room would include a mini fridge and microwave :D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
    Funny you should say that, I just asked my DH if the power in my sewing room could handle a fridge. He said yes but that I wasn't getting one because then I would never come out of here! :lol:

I have a linoleum floor in the sewing room mostly because of dust/allergies, but also because pins don't get stuck in it and the chair on wheels rolls around nicely on it.

Plenty of light is very important. Other places sell lights that are like Ott lights, but are less expensive. See if your power company offers any; that's where I got my Ott light from and I got my floor lamp from a local chain store. I don't have a design wall, but sure wish I did! I totally agree that you need to have a way to store your stash. If you put it in bins, be sure you can see into the bins rather than getting colored ones. Having it on open shelving is great for being able to see everything, but may get dusty in time. I'm noticing the sun is fading some of my fabric that isn't in bins, so keep it out of the sun.

Let us all know what you decide on as it will be great inspiration for someone else setting up their room. Good luck!

[quote=Quilter7x]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle Blonde
    Funny you should say that, I just asked my DH if the power in my sewing room could handle a fridge. He said yes but that I wasn't getting one because then I would never come out of here! :lol:

My sewing room is a bonus room over the garage - it is really big. It has everything - windows, closets, hardwood floors, seperate heat/ac from rest of house, a recliner and even a full size bath! My DH said the same thing that yours did when I asked for a mini fridge and microwave. "no, I won't carry them upstairs for you - you would never leave that room except to shop for fabric" LOL

I love a stool, I've bought two rolling office chairs and I do not like them, crabbed the stool one time and now that is all I use. My knees do not hurt, they are straighter.
    I have most of what I need now, except lots more room.

I vowed that this spring I was going to make my small sewing room more user friendly after quilting for five years. I put up a design wall, made the large top for my ironing board and got a comfortable office chair on castors. Am now looking for cheap cupboards for above my sewing table. I just bought an "Ott" type lamp at Home Depot for beside my sewing machine. It's by Hampton Bay and is called an Executive Sunlight Desklamp Model #1227. It's 27 watt. Ott lights only go to 24 watt, I believe. It also has two adjustable wing nuts to adjust the angle. I love it.

I forgot to say that the lamp was $40.00.

My design wall is a sheet of calico hanging on a rod suspended from the top of the wardrobe. The wardrobe has sliding doors so I can still access stuff inside without taking down my "wall". Works for me!

Wouldn't be without my office chair with castors. Sewing machine in front, ironing board to the left, cutting mat right behind me. I can just pivot in my chair and do it all :-D

When I sew, I can't do without my books on CD and downloadable books from my public library. My sewing machine is in a corner of the family room, but I'm perfectly content as long as I have a good book to listen to!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast