Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What, if anything, do you use to help with >

What, if anything, do you use to help with

What, if anything, do you use to help with

Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 PM

My local printer has PMS books (printers matching system) that are replaced every year. These are used to mix printers ink so that you always get the same color every time you mix up a new batch of ink. It looks like all the paint chip cards in one book.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the information on these cool products

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Choosing color hues, values and color matching?
I hear a lot of NEWer quilter's say that choosing the right colors to go together is hard, but knowing the HUE and VALUE is really confusing for those who perhaps have not had an art class!

Here are couple of products I have found helpful in helping others figure it all out. Especially when doing scrappy or rainbow effect projects.

The color evaluation set: Contains red and green viewing filters. Helps select the right colors for a project. Determine light or darkness value of materials. Red filter is used with warm colors. Green filter is used with cool colors.

The ruby beholder: Color Value Finding Tool. Also great for determining the SCALE by using the open window!

The color matching wheel/system: This color matching guide takes the guess work out of choosing colors. Unique viewing windows permit easy color & value identification. The set includes 36 pure artist's tube colors printed on individual cards with 144 tints & shades. This like all those paint sample cards you steal from Lowe's, all rolled into ONE handy take along set!
This came out at the end of last year and went into all of my friends quilting Christmas stockings! It is amazing how useful this is!

I hope this helps some of you by lessening the fears of getting out of your color box!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

Putting your fabrics on a black and white photocopier really shows the value. We tend to see the color more than the value and the copier cuts through it for us.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Power Poster

I go with what colors I like together. I only think about light and dark contrast. I use the red value tool, a big one. You may have one and not even know it. It is the front of an old red plastic file folder. Red or green cellophane will work. Staple a double layer piece between two cardboard windows. Some years ago the quilt book publishers would send out value finders free in their mailing ads.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:19 AM

Coming from a printing background, I've used the PMS books for years. It is the same format as the color matching system.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:24 AM

Thanks for the tips :thumbup:
Old 07-18-2011, 02:58 AM

I find these techniques especially helpful when doing patterns like "Trip Around the World", "Boston Commons" or any pattern where the pattern is the feature, instead of the individual fabrics.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I go with what colors I like together. I only think about light and dark contrast. I use the red value tool, a big one. You may have one and not even know it. It is the front of an old red plastic file folder. Red or green cellophane will work. Staple a double layer piece between two cardboard windows. Some years ago the quilt book publishers would send out value finders free in their mailing ads.
I'm with you. If I'm not sure if I like a certain color combination I take a digital picture (sometimes I print it out) and then I look at it until I decide if I like it or not. It works for me; I've been told more than once I'm good w/picking out colors. I just know that as long as I like what I'm putting together then I'm happy.