Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What if there were no more brick & mortar shops? >

What if there were no more brick & mortar shops?

What if there were no more brick & mortar shops?

Old 09-15-2014, 12:04 PM

quilting is (or can be) an expensive hobby. I am lucky that I rarely need to buy fabric, as I inherited my mom's not-inconsiderable stash. that said, when I do purchase new fabric, I shop around. if I see something I like, I don't accept the first price I see. this is true in ALL my purchases, whether it is a pair of scissors or a new car! This way I can afford to pursue my hobby.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

I know the reps the shops closest to me use. I can call them and get the same price the shops gets if I buy the bolt. The bolt is usually 15 yards so two of my friends and I will buy bolts and each get 5 yards of each bolt. Reps won't turn down sales from any customer.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I have a family member that owns a fabric store. She tells me that it is bothersome that people come into her store , fondle and take photos or notes of her inventory , then go on line to make the purchase. She refers to this is "show casing" where people use the brick and mortar only for those to see the item they are looking to buy online. I find this to be a very brazen act of disregard and a disturbing trend.
Oh, dear. I have sometimes made notes when shopping at my favorite LQS, since I can't afford to buy all the fabric I need at once, and want to remember what I liked. I hope they don't think I'm doing what you describe above!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:42 PM

I buy on line only what I can't find at local quilt stores.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:26 PM

My problem with buying at my LQS is that her taste in fabric is very different from mine and I rarely find anything there that I want. I try to buy some notions and solids and thread as I like taking classes there, but she doesn't even have bright white or solids that appeal to me or go with other fabric I've bought.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

I'm a long time quilter, I mean long, over 45 yrs worth of quilting. i buy at STORES..
only bought off the next 2x's and that was 2 charm packs.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I'd really be up a tree. I do 99% of my fabric purchasing at brick & mortar stores. I'm a very tactile person and like to fondle before I purchase. I'm very fortunate that I can get to Lancaster, PA for some great deals relatively easily. I only purchase for projects. Most times I do that in Lancaster, but I will also purchase at my LQS - usually for smaller projects, though due to the price difference.
I also like to fondle the fabric before I buy it and I have no idea how you match when purchasing online. I like to take my fabric with me and lay the things I'm considering using with it on the fabric to see how it looks. At present, I don't do as much shopping at the LQS as I should. Since I'm not getting to sew as much as I used to, I buy at lot at Quilt Festival every year and mostly hit the LQS if I need something to fill in. I haven't taken any classes in a while, but I really enjoyed the ones I did take and plan to do some more in the future if my life slows down enough to allow it.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I have no idea how you match when purchasing online. I like to take my fabric with me and lay the things I'm considering using with it on the fabric to see how it looks.
Unfortunately you just have to make do. I usually buy fabrics from a single line so I know they go together. I also have a kona and bella solids chart so I can match prints to a solid and then order the solid fabrics. It's always a crap shoot.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I make sure that I do NOT do that, personally. It's tempting sometimes but I know it would only shoot me in the foot in the long run - if I appreciate having a store where I can see the fabric in person, I am a FOOL if I don't support that store!

My state seems to have fixed that. I now pay CA sales tax even on out-of-state online purchases. On one hand it was nice getting away with not paying sales tax on stuff; on the other hand it does seem more fair this way. Now I have to drive to Oregon if I want to avoid sales tax, and with gas prices what they are that is not going to save me any money!!
That may not be what they are doing. If I'm shopping and see something I like but can't afford at the time, I take a picture to remind myself when I scroll through pics later. I do this at all stores, including thrift stores. I might be sending a pic to my husband of kids to see if it is something they want.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:17 PM

I am comfortable shopping on line with trusted stores. Sometimes I want something so I can start a project now, not in a week when the shipment appears. I have yet to go to LQS but JoAnn's often comes up short. There is a local LQS which I want to shop but am really scared of the prices. I was an accountant so I understand all of the problems faced by a small business but none of that makes my budget any larger.