Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What if there were no more brick & mortar shops? >

What if there were no more brick & mortar shops?

What if there were no more brick & mortar shops?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:46 PM

I would be devastated and I'm sure my quilts would not look nearly as nice because I find the ladies at the LQS (and even some of the clerks at Joann, for that matter) to be very helpful with picking colors & knowledgeable about techniques. Yes, there are some items I buy online (patterns, bulk batting, most of my thread since local shops only carry certain colors/weights, rotary blades & such), but all of my fabric comes from local stores & a fair number of the notions I buy come from them as well. I enjoy talking with other quilters and sharing ideas too much to buy everything online -- plus, I can't rely on my computer to get the color & density of the fabric portrayed accurately enough to trust so I could buy online.

I am blessed to have 5 LQS's within easy driving distance of my home & they are each a little different so I visit all of them from time to time. We also have a Hobby Lobby & a JAF in the town in which I live. I enjoy going there to pick out fabrics & find that my clients really enjoy that part of the process, too. There is nothing like lining up 10 different bolts of fabric together to help you begin to envision what the applique will look like on the quilt.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I think until there is some act to level out the online shops with brick and mortar.. there will continue to be fewer brick and mortar. The fact that I can instantly save almost 10 percent ( sales tax) by purchasing on line is just one of the issues that come to mind.
Technically, there is a law in Illinois that requires people to pay a Use Tax if they buy an item from an out-of-state online vendor for use or consumption in Illinois. Of course, plenty of people don't even know about this tax & those that do usually refuse to pay it.

http://tax.illinois.gov/Individuals/FAQs-Use-Tax.htm
Old 09-15-2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Technically, there is a law in Illinois that requires people to pay a Use Tax if they buy an item from an out-of-state online vendor for use or consumption in Illinois. Of course, plenty of people don't even know about this tax & those that do usually refuse to pay it.

http://tax.illinois.gov/Individuals/FAQs-Use-Tax.htm
I think most states have that law.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:52 PM

It wouldn't make a lot of difference to me.

I mostly buy online - and in the US - anyway. If you had to pay $24/m locally, you would, too!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:54 PM

I buy locally as I have a quilting shop five minutes drive away. But I do shop on line. A small village shop can't carry all the required fabric or the likes of all quilters. I like fabric sold in US with pictures on and the local shop doesn't sell. Also you need to look around otherwise the whole village would be using the same fabric in all quilts. I do prefer feeling and checking colours in the shop.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:48 AM

I live in a city with over 100,000 residents and we only have one dedicated quilting store with fabric. It's so sad. We also have a Hobby Lobby and a JoAnn's. There is another sewing machine retailer in our city but they specialize in embroidery machines (Pfaff and Viking) and supplies for machine embroidery (no hand embroidery supplies and no fabric). I try to shop at the quilting store when I can afford it and I do have my sewing machines serviced there. I don't know what will happen to the locally owned stores, I wish I could support them more.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:27 AM

I have ever shopped on line. But here in eastern Iowa we have access to a LOT of quilt shops. However, we mourn the loss of every one that closes. Personally, I would not have confidence in my fabric choices if I could not see them in person. I only buy fabric for projects. Now I need to start completing some of said projects! But I am glad the online stores are there for those who like or need them. Several of our shops have an online presence.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

As long as Wal Mart, Joanns and Hobby Lobby sell fabrics I will be happy. The fabrics I have bought online wasn't always what I thought it to be. LQS prices are too high for me.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:50 AM

I wouldn't be surprised for b&m stores of all types to start charging "admission" which would be applied to one's purchase of $X or above, kind of like a mechanic does with the diagnostic fee. I agree, it is extremely rude to fondle, peruse, and take up employee's time when you know you aren't going to buy a single thing there, or worse yet, just one little fat quarter. The ONLY reason I purchase online is if I can't find it at a store. I prefer to keep the little guy in business!
Old 09-16-2014, 04:06 AM

We do have a local quilt shop, however the prices are high and not much for sales. Her taste is different than mine and the books are priced at the "suggested cost". Therefore I buy what suits me at the shop, and order online for books and other fabrics. I do have a sizeable stash so I try to use all I can out of that. I do not feel that I have to shop locally just because we have a shop. They must figure out a way to compete the same as other small businesses.