Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: WHAT KIND OF APPLIQUE

can i do that is simple and pretty. I want to do some hand work the first of the year....Jerrie

Blog Entries
    Hi...in the new quick quilts magazine there is a article on how to needle-turn applique. I always have a project at my chair at night and there are some really easy projects on the net to try. If you get any magazines look for a pattern that would involve very many pieces. Appliqued quilts are so pretty, and it really adds alot to a quilt. Linda

I'm about to make my first Dredan plate, but I think Grandmother's Fan are pretty easy going.

Also, you could always make a handprints quilt. A small twin or lap size and applique the handprints of your kids or other special small people.

I have no idea what needle turn applique is...I've heard of it, but haven't done it and need to google it so I know more.

You could also embellish quilt tops with buttons and lace. That's almost always a pretty addition to an already beautiful quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    I'm about to make my first Dredan plate, but I think Grandmother's Fan are pretty easy going.

Also, you could always make a handprints quilt. A small twin or lap size and applique the handprints of your kids or other special small people.

I have no idea what needle turn applique is...I've heard of it, but haven't done it and need to google it so I know more.

You could also embellish quilt tops with buttons and lace. That's almost always a pretty addition to an already beautiful quilt.
    I already did a Dredan plate, and aGrandmother's Fan i will look on the net or magazines i have to find something Thanks

I nominate Sunbonnet Sue, or for fun, a BAD Sue!

Izy
    Jerrie, there are simply hundreds of free applique patterns out there, I have quite a few on the laptop, give me an idea of what you fancy and I will see what I have got :D

If you google image search you can see at a glance if it is what may be looking for rather than having to open each website..... :roll:

try this site--there are lots of fun patterns to applique using whatever method you prefer.
    http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/

The new fons & porters Jan/Feb also had a brief how to on needle turn. It's the year of applique!! I can't wait to learn this also. Best of luck! Oh, I saw a video on Piece O'Cake methods. I wonder if the library carries these? I picked mine up at a LQS. They may have them on amazon, too. It's nice to see the technique and be able to watch and re-run the same sections if you feel like you're getting stuck. Watching the same section 3 times is easier to me than holding up a class.

Izy
    U tube might be an idea too :D

Thanks everyone i will google and tru u tube i want to do a basket with flowers, I already did a suebonnet that was my first quilt i did

Izy
    Jerrie,

Heres a couple of pdf's with basket of flowers for you :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

I downloaded your patterns, loved them both. I am always looking for new patterns. If I sewed as much as I patterned, I would have a nice big stack of quilts. Thank you..

Rita

Izy
    Your welcome....you should see how many is on my laptop.....I will have to live to be 500 to have a chance to finish HALF of them lol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltwoman
    try this site--there are lots of fun patterns to applique using whatever method you prefer.
    http://www.fatcatpatterns.com/

Thank you!!! They do have bunches of cute patterns. Applique is the thing I'd like to learn this year and I've spent more time searching online for patterns than doing anything =)

Izy, these look kind of detailed...are the patterns something you'd recommend for a beginner? I feel like I border on intermediate for piecing but am new to applique entirely. Thanks so much!

Izy
    Quote Originally Posted by retrogirl02
    Izy, these look kind of detailed...are the patterns something you'd recommend for a beginner? I feel like I border on intermediate for piecing but am new to applique entirely. Thanks so much!
    I would have a little practice first, but once you get over the 'thought' of appliqueing, you will see it is really very easy, I would recommend using steam a seam fusible method for first attempts :D

I wonder if mild wonder under would be ok. I've only appliqued a few things. I'm getting ready to do a G.Fan and a D.Plate and got wonder under. I used Steam A Seam for a Christmas project and couldn't get my needle in it.

Izy
    Sorry, I should have said Lite Steam a seam 2, which is finer. but I think your lite Wunder Under is similar to Bondaweb, which I use too, as long as you get a good fix at the edges is the most important bit. :D

Good luck!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    Hi...in the new quick quilts magazine there is a article on how to needle-turn applique. I always have a project at my chair at night and there are some really easy projects on the net to try. If you get any magazines look for a pattern that would involve very many pieces. Appliqued quilts are so pretty, and it really adds alot to a quilt. Linda
    I love the needle turn method. It is my favourite way to applique!

Thanks so much, Izy. I hope you have hard copies of your favorite patterns....my computer crashed twice since I've been collecting patterns and I've lost most of them each time. Ahhh, Vista. Luckily, I printed off my faves but still feel like I need to start over each time.....maybe that's why I seem to be getting more patterns than taking time to quilt lately LOL. I'd hate for you to lose your goodies.

Izy
    I am conscious of that....but like you I am constantly searching out new patterns...I Will make it one of my new years resolutions :D

There are many great patterns for applique and several ways to do it. The three most common ways are needle-turn, freezer paper and fusible web. I personally like fusible web. On my site I explain how to do all three. Also I use the following site http://www.coloring.ws/ for patterns. Good luck with what you decided.

Janie

Quote Originally Posted by appliquequiltdesigns
    There are many great patterns for applique and several ways to do it. The three most common ways are needle-turn, freezer paper and fusible web. I personally like fusible web. On my site I explain how to do all three. Also I use the following site http://www.coloring.ws/ for patterns. Good luck with what you decided.

Janie
    Thank you Janie. I was literally just wording a response asking about different methods. I remember making a fan using the fusible method, but that was in a class long ago. Then I put handprints on a quilt without web but using my machine. NEVER AGAIN. I'm getting ready to make another fan and my first ever attempt at a Dresden Plate. I want to really know what I'm doing before I start!

I did go to the coloring.ws website, but it obviously isn't your website. Could you post yours so I can try to brush up on the three types of applique?

Melissa

Pick a design you love with only a few pieces and nothing too small. Make sure curves are genlt and point (in or out) aren't too sharp. Take your time and you'll be fine.

Needle turn is the best (IMHO). No raw edge to eventually fray. After all that hand work I want it to stay for a LOOOONNGGG time.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonpi
    I nominate Sunbonnet Sue, or for fun, a BAD Sue!
    Moonpi, you crack me up. I know someone that I could make a "Bad Sue" for. :lol: