Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Machine quilting advice  please:) >

Need Machine quilting advice please:)

Need Machine quilting advice please:)

Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 PM

I would like to make a quilt for DH cousin. He is going through a really hard time. I want to get it done somewhat quickly (not to the detriment of quality, but faster than hand quilting)

I have never machine quilted before. I have no idea what I am doing. I would like to make it QAYG.

Any advice would be super great:)

Lynette
Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

What does QAYG mean?

You could practice doing meandering, drop your feed dogs and use a darning foot. Move your fabric around, don't turn it like you would when sewing.

Or, you could do a cross hatch (looks like diamonds).
Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 PM

I believe she means Quilt as you go, as opposed to putting together the whole quilt and then quilting it.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 PM

Your right:) I did mean quilt as you go. I want to quilt one block at a time then whipstitch them together.

I only have a simple singer machine and I have no idea how to machine quilt at all. I think I just want to echo quilt or something like that.

Lynette
Old 01-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, I was racking my brain there. :lol:
Old 01-06-2009, 09:06 PM

A really easy pattern to use could be a rag quilt. You can make your blocks 6-8" each. So you would cut your blocks say 8" square, cut a piece of batting 7" square and put the batting between two pieces of fabric, right sides out, centering the batting, stitch an X across the square. Then when you have as many squares to make the size you need, sew them together with a 1/2' seam making sure all the raw edges are on the same side. When all sewn together you clip the edges very close to your stitching about 1/4' or less apart. Fluff it up and throw it in the washer and dryer (cleaning out the lint filter often)

I'm sure that there are others here that can help you better Attached is a picture of a flannel quilt I did similarly

Back of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24653[/ATTACH]

Front of quilt with "ragging"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24654[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-24653.jpe   attachment-24654.jpe  
Old 01-06-2009, 09:09 PM

I have no clue about the quilt as you go. But to encourage you , I just finished quilting my very first wall hanging, I used a walking foot and did straight lines, it was easier than I thought actually, the only thing was resisting not to pull. I think you are talking about something different though, not sure, but these are my two cents on this.

Good luck,
Candi
Old 01-06-2009, 10:50 PM

I seen a program on TV awhile back that started in the middle of a quilt and added to the sides and top as they quilted.....I'll keep thinking see if I can remember how it went or if you could find it....or if by luck someone might even know where it's at.............try yahoo search ...."Quilt As you go".......there is some places there......Good luck..

www.secretsof.com
Old 01-07-2009, 01:52 AM
Izy

Ohh I just mastered this yesterday, it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO quick and easy :D

I just lay my backing down, smoothed over the wadding, placed the centre piece of the pattern down, pinned it, add the side piece right sides together, stitch 1/4" (Should use walking foot BUT I forgot and used by 1/4" foot :shock: ) then flip it open, iron and work your way around to the edge. Any pattern like log cabin, courthouse steps, or simple designs can be done this way as long as you can radiate out from the centre. I am doing a table runner and placemats. Try looking on utube for stitch and flip quilt as you go...thats how I found it :D
Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 AM

Izy ..... you are so creative.....!!! ....:-)