Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of batting do you use? >

What kind of batting do you use?

What kind of batting do you use?

Old 03-22-2011, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

I have only usedthe poly just because of price. Would love to try the wool sometime, but just cant afford any right now.
Warm and Natural looks nice, going to try it too, but I mostly hand quilt.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 AM

Having worked at a long arm quilting studio I have probably used every kind of batting possible,blankets, to wool to minkee. For my personal use, I love Quilter's Dream. They make all kinds of batts-cotton, blends, poly, bamboo, etc. For large quilts I prefer cotton. For childrens quilts I use a blend. Childrens quilts should contain at least some poly. Good luck-there are so many options!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:22 AM

I personally did not like working with the polyester batting the few times I used it. It was donated and we used it on charity quilts. I learned using warm and natural and that is my preference.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:20 AM

I like warm and natural
Old 03-22-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by betsey
Having worked at a long arm quilting studio I have probably used every kind of batting possible,blankets, to wool to minkee. For my personal use, I love Quilter's Dream. They make all kinds of batts-cotton, blends, poly, bamboo, etc. For large quilts I prefer cotton. For childrens quilts I use a blend. Childrens quilts should contain at least some poly. Good luck-there are so many options!
Just curious on why children's quilts should contain at least some poly??? :?:
thanks!!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:10 PM

I typically use Warm and Natural. I love the way it feels after it's been quilted. I've never had a problem with it feeling stiff.

That being said, when I was at the Lancaster show this past weekend, I did buy 3 different battings, one of them was the bamboo, and I bought some sample packs that have tons of variety. I'm going to try them all in minis.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 PM

I use a combo of both, Hobbs 80/20
Old 03-22-2011, 04:34 PM

I have used poly, 80/20 and 50/50. I for my personal ones like the 50/50. I long arm a lot of charity quilts and they use the poly. The very first one I did I started out with a lot of bearding on the back 1st row, put in a new needle and since always check the needle and haven't had any more problems with it on any batts. Am planning on doing one with Deam wool just to check it out.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:46 PM

the one that is made out of bottles
Old 03-23-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I'm currently trying cotton/bamboo for the first time on a quilt with a dark brown backing and it's a disaster: the quilt is covered with fluff from the batting and it's coming through to the surface when I pull the threads through. Not happy.
I had the same problem with the cotton/bamboo batting on a quilt. I am thinking of tearing it apart and using a different batting because I really love the quilt. I am not looking foward to the task of getting all the fluff off of the quilt top. Thought I would wait until the weather is warmer and dryer so I can keep the mess outside. Won't use bamboo batting again, to be sure.

I do like the Hobbs Heirloom 80/20, though.