Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What kind of border

What kind of border

I have never made a scrappy quilt before. This is the first one and now I am wondering about a border. I would like to put on a border and then scallop it, but I am not sure of what color border. Any suggestions? I have seen grey on quilts before I love that look, but not sure if it will work with this quilt top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I really like it without the border. I would bind in one of the reds or greens, I think.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Power Poster
    Pretty top and a mauvey/grey border would be nice.

It doesn't need a border, but if you want one I would use a small (1"-2") "stop" border in a light color (white, cream or light grey, or even a pastel), then a larger border that you can scallop. Choose which ever color you want to pop in the main quilt ... pink, purple (lavender), green, blue .. all will work.

Below is an example of what a small light colored 'stop' border with a wide dark border looks like on a scrappy quilt. The two borders I chose give the whole quilt a more uniform "brown" look. I could have chosen any two complimentary colors with this quilt and the two borders would have pulled those colors out of the main quilt and give the quilt an overall "flavor".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DogHouseMom; 05-14-2015 at 05:13 PM.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    No border suggestions, just want to say that's a great quilt

Thanks for your response guys. DogHouseMom your quilt is gorgeous! I like the idea of the smaller border with a larger one....

Blog Entries
    i agree with the narrow stop border first
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Yes, I usually like the smaller accent border to be bright but you might just want to float the quilt with something very light. I would stay away from any busy print such as that pretty pink plaid. I myself would just bind it. Very pretty quilt. Love the fabric you selected.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Wonderful scrappy. A scalloped border will be so cool paired with it.

Here is the challenge. If it were me I would make a stopping border ( 1 or 1 1/2" w) in one of the darker colors and
    the kicker......
    A wide piano key border in all the left over scraps and then after they are added and quilted, cut the scallops into the piano key border!!!!! Wow-za, IMHO, or not.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would use the dark floral (or something like it) for a narrow first border. The width of border could be the width of the outer block row. Then I would go with one of the reds or the hot pink as the outer border to let it shine. OR I would go with a green outer border to let the center pop.

Blog Entries
    beautiful scrappy, i'd put a small accent border on of an inch or two. very pretty
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Although I like what doghousemom pictured, if it were mine, I would bind it in a light green print. I think that color goes with the colors in your quilt. Beautiful.

No border. It doesn't need a border.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    When I make a busy or scrappy quilt I always put a plain border to stop the action of the quilt. Sometimes that is the only border and sometimes it is the first border and I follow it with a print that compliments the quilt. I always put borders on my quilts but that is a matter of personal preference rather than something you have to do.

You have done a phenomenal job with this quilt!

I would suggest no border on this one. Well done and pleasing to the eye. Beware, your heart may be captured by scrappies. You did a fine job on this one.

Gray, I think is too contemporary, where this scrappy is truly traditional....so IMHO, either no border or as suggested, a narrow stop sash then a border, both in solids....but I also think no scallops on this one...let the scrappiness be the focal point......great job!

very pretty........ always so many prettys aroun dhere....

I like borders, I think it frames and finishes the quilt. Yours is so fun and pretty. Good job on the scrappy. I really studied the blocks and like how you incorporated the little squares of the same fabric as the big squares. Takes a lot of time. But so worth it. Congrats on a job well done!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Its beautiful! I like your color palate.

Thanks everyone. I was at the LQS this afternoon and we were kicking around a light purple small border and then a dark purple larger border... nothing decided yet. I will continue to "percolate" on all of the suggestions that I have gotten

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hard to tell from your picture and my computer, but it appears the lighter background is white--so I've avoid gray! Remember that gray is best used when the colors used in the quilt are also "shaded"--meaning that there's enough gray added to make them have a gray tone. Maybe white? Although frankly, I'd probably not border--I like it as it is.

Such a pretty quilt dose not need a border.

Lovely quilt...so very well done! I too like the idea of a stop border and then a final border, it frames the work and gives you the opportunity to accent selected colours in the body of the work.