Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of Iron do you use? >

What kind of Iron do you use?

What kind of Iron do you use?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 PM

Had one of those Rowenta steam generators for 73 days before it blew. Water everywhere it was horrible. Didn't learn my lesson and bought another Rowenta, the blue one they sell at JoAnns. It's now at a repair center for being leaky. That will be my last one.

I have a mid-price Black and Decker, but 15 minutes shut off is just a little too short, but it works great. I also have the dry iron, a Sunbeam classic that has 30 minute - a little better, and recently a chepo Hamiliton Beach and Rival. Those all work great. I switch them out, so they get even wear and they all seem to perform much better than my Rowentas.

I'm with the others... buy cheap ones and just toss them away when they fail.

Last edited by madamepurl; 12-21-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added one more thought.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:10 PM

I have two T-Fal irons. I really like them. They have auto turn off and get hot fast. The steam is great and I use a lot of steam. I purchased one for the sewing room and then when our other iron went bad, I purchased another one.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:30 AM

I use the cheapest I can find now adays. Tried expensive but donot seem to last the turn off turn on required in quilting also being use dry affects a steam iron I'm sure. I use a steam for. My own ironing but it is a vapour and no use for prrrrrresssssing. Tried clover small iron not big enough for some quilt prrrrrrressing.
I also never seem to be able to buy exactly the same iron.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I have two irons. My favorite is the Reliable Digital Velocity. If this one ever goes belly up, I'm definitely buying another one. The steam option on it is absolutely fantastic. It holds a LOT of water, also. It is very heavy. If I do lots of pressing of little seams, I turn to my Dritz Petite Press, which lives next to my sewing machine. I love this iron so much, I bought two more - one as my backup and one for my best quilting friend.
Pekish, after reading about your love of the Dritz Petite Press, I bought one at Michaels, brought it home and tried it out and it is great. I got it with 1/2 off coupon making it 20 dollars which is the cheapest I could find it, and it also looks like it is made well, so I am looking forward to some good times with this iron. Now, my new Rowenta is another story, it is awful. Doesn't shut off when it is supposed, dosen't heat correctly and I feel like throwing it out the window, so no more Rowentas for me. I will try a cheapy from Walmart first.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by mltquilt View Post
Olisio Pro.

mltquilt
I just got this iron and it is wonderful!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:01 AM

I use and have been using now for about six years a Rowenta, now it wasn't cheap when I purchased it, I paid around 175, but I would not be without it for the world its the best iron I have ever bought.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:07 AM

mine just died as well and it was a rowenta and did the same thing just started pouring water out of it. i couldnt afford a really fancy one so i decided to try a shark it works great and has the auto shut off too. i cant tell you how it will be in the long run as ive only had it about 6 weeks it has every function you could think of and does a really good job. i dont think it would be very portable but when i sew away from home at my mil she has 2 irons we can use. so portability wasnt a requirement for me.
carla