Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of Iron do you use? >

What kind of Iron do you use?

What kind of Iron do you use?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 AM

Default What kind of Iron do you use?

Love this board and all the advice so I'm turning to you for input. My 4 year old Rowenta iron is dying and I'm in need of a replacement. I've loved this iron from the get go, especially the automatic shut off. Lately tho it will not dry iron, only steam. I've read bad reviews for recently made ones and am afraid to buy the same kind. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:27 AM

I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest one they had. I think it is Black and Decker.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM

Olisio Pro.

mltquilt
Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

I use a Black & Decker Classic~
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

For steam I use Black and Decker Classic. For pressing blocks and pieces I use the Continental dry iron. Both were under $25 each. I have a fancy smancy iron I used for clothes before I started quilting. Now the dryer is my clothing iron. LOL
Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 AM

I have a $9.99 iron I bought at $ General at 9pm one Sat. night when my Black & Decker died. Desperate times call for desperate measures. DD got me another one for Christmas several years ago. After one too many times getting knocked off the ironing board, she got me a Kaloric last year. Now that's not heating, so I'm back to my $9.99 one and I've decided I love it. At that price, it can die once a year and a new one will still be cheaper for a long time.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 AM

I have a $6.00 Rival iron from WallyWorld. It replaced three (different brands) expensive "quilters" irons that died one after another, none lasting more than three months (one only a week!).

I looked at the quilters irons on Amazon, read every single review; read the reviews for more irons; decided to just go buy something cheap until I made up my mind if "expensive" was worth it.

*LOL* The little Rival turned out to be the perfect quilting iron: it irons dry without spitting, has plenty of steam when I want steam, is very lightweight, and turned out to be the ultimate bargain!

BTW, the three expensive irons were either replaced or we got our money back because Costco has great customer service!

Last edited by HouseDragon; 12-17-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 AM

Ya I love the quilting board too. I never knew such details mattered. I thought pins were pins and it seems that's no so. Now I guess it matters what kind of iron. I just have a cheapy I'm just going to say something dorky like I love ironing. I love the steam it makes, the fragrance that comes off of cloth when you iron it. Simple pleasures.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 AM

Oliso ... not sure of the model but it's the yellow one.

Some things I love about this iron:

12' cord
30 minute shut off!!!
It gets hot fast but more important it STAYS hot. I've never had to wait for my iron to get hot after prolonged use
I have never scorched my fabric with this iron and I've been known to 'cook' my blocks to flatten them into submission
The little feet that raise it up and down - I confess I turn this option off most of the time, but when I'm ironing yardage and I need all the space on my board for fabric, it's nice to have the feet on so I can place the iron on my cutting table (not the mat) and the feet will raise it off the surface. It's much sturdier when you sit it flat (not upright) with the feet down - less likely to knock it over.

I do not use steam in my iron. Ever. So I can't comment on how the steam option works.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

If you use search feature above you will get many more opinions. We have had quite a few discussions on irons lately. I gave up on the Rowenta and have a Black and Decker Digital Advantage which I enjoy.