Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of Iron do you use? >

What kind of Iron do you use?

What kind of Iron do you use?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 AM

I have two irons. My favorite is the Reliable Digital Velocity. If this one ever goes belly up, I'm definitely buying another one. The steam option on it is absolutely fantastic. It holds a LOT of water, also. It is very heavy. If I do lots of pressing of little seams, I turn to my Dritz Petite Press, which lives next to my sewing machine. I love this iron so much, I bought two more - one as my backup and one for my best quilting friend.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 AM

I have a Rowenta that I have been using for over 10 years. Mine developed a little leaking problem several years ago. Hubby took it apart and found a tear in the gasket. He added a little silicone and she has been working like a gem since then. I have no complaints about this iron.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:54 AM

Currently, an oliso. I have have numerous irons over the past ten years, ranging from cheap (Rival) to expensive (Rowenta), all were JUNK and spit water or quit working after just a short while. SO, now I am trying the Oliso - hope it works!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 PM

I use a Sunbeam I bought at a yard sale 8 yrs ago for $1 dollar!! definitely got my moneys' worth!!! lol
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I have two irons. My favorite is the Reliable Digital Velocity. If this one ever goes belly up, I'm definitely buying another one. The steam option on it is absolutely fantastic. It holds a LOT of water, also. It is very heavy. If I do lots of pressing of little seams, I turn to my Dritz Petite Press, which lives next to my sewing machine. I love this iron so much, I bought two more - one as my backup and one for my best quilting friend.
Peckish and I seem to be on the same iron page- I love my Reliable Digital Velosity and the little Dritz is a winner.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:28 PM

I just bought a Rowenta Steamium at Big Lots for $50. It was rebuilt hence the cheap price. They sell for over $200 normally. I've used it for a few week and love it. My last Rowenta also came from Big Lots about 3 years ago....so check out Big Lots!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
I use a Black & Decker Classic~
Exactly what I use, I use it as a dry iron.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:21 PM

At first I really wanted a Rowenta, til my classmate bought one and it died right away then she kept on buying them and they kept hitting the big one.

Then I wanted the Olisso. It is too heavy when I do want to lift it. Also out of my budget.

Being somewhat budget minded I bought a Black & Decker at Walmart and it is going strong after many years. Never been incontinent. When I was working I did buy a Maytag cordless iron on sale. It is great for ironing quilt tops as there is no cord to catch the quilt top.

Am still looking at estate and garage sales for a dry iron.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
Peckish and I seem to be on the same iron page- I love my Reliable Digital Velosity and the little Dritz is a winner.
I also have the Reliable Digital Velocity iron, and I like it a lot. It's supposed to be made so that it will never leak, and the steam is much better than any other iron I've owned. There was a minor problem with the first one I bought (it was reconditioned) and they just sent me another right away, even let me keep the original one, so I have it as a backup. That is so unlike the poor service I received when my previous iron (Rowenta) died.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:33 PM

I got my Hamilton Beach Durathon at Walmart and am quite happy with it. I think I paid under $40 for it. I had previously purchased Black and Decker at Walmart and after returning the third one, I decided to switch brands. The B&D ones each leaked. I had used a B&D for 20 some years before my recent purchases so I know it is a good brand. I think I just got into a bad batch. All brands have some poor quality products one in a while. At least, Walmart has a great return policy.